Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Your Website ???

Hey again,

OK - If I want to update, lets say, my HOMEPAGE, how do you do this???

Do you simply update it via the saved page on BlueVoda??? Or do you have to do something else?

Also, when you update a page, will the old page be deleted? Just I dont want to keep updating pages and then finding out the old pages are still on my account!!!

Any help, as always, is MUCH APPRECIATED !!!

Thanks,
    Ad

Re: Updating Your Website ???

Simply open the page you want to make changes on, make your changes then SAVE it and publish it. Do NOT change the name. When saved/published it simply overwrites the old page. Because of caching it might not show up right away on the web. (check posts for caching.) But it will be there.
    Good luck
    Ann
    www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
    www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
    www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

Thats another thing sorted !!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!

Ad

Comment

I have another question.

Please look at my site www.adamsposters.com

Notice how the page is massive? I have tried and tried to decrease the page size to the correct size, but it is just not working!!

Thanks,
        Ad

Comment

When you say "massive," I assume you mean the page is too wide to fit entirely within a normal computer screen. If so, let me share what it took me awhile to learn:

You need to open your BlueVoda file for that page and move all of your page elements (text, images, etc.) on the right-hand side of the page over to the left. Ideally the right-hand edge of ALL those elements should be no more than 850 pixels from the left edge. It doesn't HAVE to be 850, that's just the number I prefer, and will use in my long-winded explanation here.

To check the "pixel location" of any page element (once you have your BV file open for that page), make sure that none of your page elements is selected--that is, you should NOT see the 8 little blue squares around any text, image, etc on the page. Then move your mouse so the arrow points to the RIGHT-hand edge of a given image, text box, or whatever.

Then look in the lower-right corner of your screen for a small box that says "X:___ Y:___" with numbers in the blanks (the numbers change as you move the mouse). Move any page elements over to the left so that their R-hand edge falls to the left of the 850 mark in the ruler running across the top of your page-design area (and probably just below your toolbars). Then I suggest you do Edit > Lock All.

Once you have the right edge of ALL page elements at less than 850, you need to adjust your page width to be 850. To do that, right-click on any EMPTY area of the page, select Page Properties, and enter 850. Your page will then be narrow enough to fit within most users' screens and you won't have the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom.

NOTE: If you click on any page element instead of just pointing the arrow at it, the X number you'll see (in the lower-R corner) will be the pixel location of the LEFT-hand edge of that element. But in terms of fixing your page width, the RIGHT-hand edges of your page elements is what really matters.

Also, remember that just because you set the page width in Page Properties, it's not "permanent." Anytime you move a page element and its R-hand edge goes beyond the 850 mark, you have just made your page wider (than 850, that is) again, and the horizontal scroll bar probably will come back. Solution is to just repeat the process described above.

Lastly . . . if you aren't already using the Object Outlines function, I suggest you switch it on (click View at the top of the screen and select it in the drop down). I sometimes find my page width is being skewed by a small text box, way over to the right, that I had forgotten about and failed to delete.

Hope all this helps and isn't too much.

Comment

The problem I have is height wise.

I dont have a problem with width as I have checked on a lot of peoples monitor screens and my site automatically reduces to fit their screen size.

Look at my site again, and you will see that the height of the homepage is huge.

How do I rectify this?

Thanks,
            Ad

www.adamsposters.com

Comment

OK, I see what you mean about the height: your black background ends only about 1/6th of the way down the page, and then you have a huge white space before the page ends. (By the way, maybe it's just me but I do see a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of your page).

Just curious, did you get the black background by using BV to create a large rectangle? Or maybe you got it by inserting a large, solid-black image (.jpeg, .gif, or other)? Either way, I suggest you remove that rectangle or image and then go to Page Properties, click the Background tab, and create your background by either browsing for an image or by selecting a background color. Either way, it should remove the big white background area you now have.

As for what's making the page so long, go to View and click Object Outlines (if you haven't selected it already). Then scroll as far down your page as possible, looking for a text box or other page element at or near the bottom of the page. Assuming you find one, either delete it or move it way up the page. Remember, the "lowest bottom edge" of any object on the page automatically defines your page height. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey mate,

Take another look at www.adamsposters.com

I have rectified the problem !!!!!!!!

I think !!!!!!!

I had to mingle around with certain things and I found the problem !!!!!

It was a blasted box in the middle of nowwhere that was hidden - dont ask me how, but it was!!!!! I FOUND IT AND I DESTROYED IT HA HA HA !!!

3 DAYS, 3-BLINKIN-DAYS I have been on with this. What a relief !!!

Thanks for all the help !!!!!

Ad

Comment

Originally posted by Adz931 View Post
                  The problem I have is height wise.

I dont have a problem with width as I have checked on a lot of peoples monitor screens and my site automatically reduces to fit their screen size.
                  As far as I am aware, websites do not 'automatically reduce'. Your site is too wide. Many people will need to scroll in order to view it.

Comment

As far as I am aware - most of the computers I have seen reduce the size.

My younger brother has a laptop, which is way less than half the size of my tv-monitor and his automatically adjusts the size.

How can this be?

Ad

Comment

Hey, good job, Adam (I assume that is your name?) in terms of fixing the page depth--I see no more white background. It is amazing how one little forgotten text box can mess up your whole layout, so thank God for the Object Outlines.

FYI, you still have the horizontal scroll bar . . . so if you want to eliminate that, just hunt down whatever page element might be lurking way over to the right in your BV file. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Adam, your page is too wide I think you need to adjust it through page properties then on the general tab change the width to 1024 to eliminate the scroll bar at the bottom:) just a friendly suggestion...good luck..

Comment

How is it too wide?

Do you see white? Or does your monitor not adjust the webpage to the size of your screen?

I dont understand, because everyone I have spoken to (outside of here) says they dont get any horizontal scroll bar . . . that their computer adjusts the web page to the width of their monitor size . . . Ahhhhhh !!

Help me . . .

Ad

Comment

Hey,

One of my friends has said they see a horizontal scroll bar, and a blank area next to this.

Now I cant find any hidden box. I have changed the dimensions, but still the problem persists.

Any help?

Cheers,
                            Ad

Comment

Adam,
                              My guess (and that's all it is) is that some of your friends have the new, wider-screen monitors that can handle your page width without putting a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.

It's also possible that some newer laptops MIGHT be able to manipulate HTML to make an extra-wide page fit on the laptop's screen.

The point is, most users don't have those types of monitors or laptops, so if you don't want most of your site visitors to have to use a horizontal scroll bar, you need to change your page width to about 850.

Remember, there's (usually) more to it than just right-clicking a blank area of the page and selecting Page Properties and entering 850 in "Page Width." You have to make sure that the R-hand edge of ALL elements on that page do not extend beyond 850 pixels using the ruler above your design area.

As far as I know, that is the ONLY way you can be sure that everyone who visits the page will see all of it on their screen without having to scroll L-to-R.

Comment

Working...
                              X