Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to learn about HTML boxes ;)

Hi everyone,
    I'm just starting to try to get my head around the whole HTML thing....& it's NOT easy! At least not for me....so here's the question:
    Is it possible to place ANYTHING over , ie on top of, an HTML box? For example a small shape? If it IS possible, could someone kindly, & extremely simply, explain how........many thanks for any help,
    david

Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Re: trying to learn about HTML boxes ;)

Hi

If you create your html first, then create whatever you want on top of it, then, the second item will be on top. However, it will depend on what you have inside your html box. if you have a youtube, then your second item will be blocking the video.

Not sure what you want to do, look at my site www.subeagle.com. The menu on top is html, and all the videos are html.

Millie
    Millie
    www.subeagle.com

Comment

BTW, if the items are there already, you can move the html back and move the other item up front.

Cheers
      Millie
      www.subeagle.com

Comment

Hi Millie,
        thanks for getting back to me so quickly, but I'm not really any the wiser!
        Maybe I should explain what I want to do:
        I have made a page with a free flash site-builder who, understandably will include a link to their site as an advertisement.
        This is the page. (I was given the HTML code - I made an HTML box & pasted it in) Now, having their name at the bottom is fine with me, but there is a little tab on the extreme right of the page on a level with the title "Chrissi Island". My question is whether there is a way to "hide" this little tab by putting a filled shape there for example or a gif - whatever. And if so.....how??
        david
        Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Hi

if you are referring to the tab that pops out soon as the cursor rolls on it, then hiding it will also hide parts of the leaves border, which may make it look strange. you can create a box with opacity of zero (0) and place it on top of the tab. That will effectively block the link on the tab. they may see it but, the cursor will not make it pop out. Is that what you want?

Millie
          Millie
          www.subeagle.com

Comment

Milie, thanks....yes I'm aware whatever I do may "disturb" the leaves border & I have already experimented with shapes but I just can't figure out how to get the shape to appear OVER the html box?? I've tried 'move to front', move the html box to the rear etc. but all to no avial!
            How can I do what you suggest???
            thanks again,
            david

Comment

If you HIDE it ,,, it will come back to haunt you... it will be seen as hidden text. Youd do better to learn to edit their code.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

The simple Rule is best explained HERE

To manipulate the display of an HTML 'box', you might try "layering" to separate the form from the function: try putting an 'oversized' transparent layer over the banner, and then creating an additional layer to "cover" the part you do not wish to be displayed. *Keep in mind, however, if this HTML layer is supposed to be hyperlinked, you will need to hyperlink the oversized (covering) transparent layer in its stead. It all has to do with the order of things as they are read, and "partial coverups" are not sufficient to establish prominence, thus the oversized coverup first.

PS: The concept of 'Hiding' a Flash element such as a "Tab" (with or without any visible text label) is not an issue with regard to "Hidden Text" whatsoever: Flash is not read nor valued by the SE's at all since it is completely image-based script, and thus there is no "infraction" to register as a 'construct violation' as would be burying a text caption or Content under another shape.
                The same goes for a HTML image, since the image is dynamically populated from a remote source (with regard to Affiliate Banners), and even though the link might remain "over the text" the text itself is of no value.
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Yes *****.. im so glad i have you to follow me and correct me every step of the way.

Do you think its ok for me to continue posting or should i ask your permission first.???

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hey guys,
                    even though I am not concerned about SE's at all (it's simply a personal website) it seems I've opened a small can of worms here LOL & maybe I'll just live with the tiny ad??
                    BTW I just learned from another thread that Wix is a kind of a competitor to VH.....do I run a risk by building a page with them & publishing with BV?
                    I don't really want to upset any MORE people today :)
                    thanks for advice as always,
                    david

Comment

You can use it.. you just cant link to them on the forum or refer them...etc etc..

As your AD very well maybe text and NOT part of the flash you would do best not to HIDE it...

There are some cheap editors out there..coffee cup, and several others..maybe invest in a full version.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Karen.......... good night :)

Comment

Working...
                        X