• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • choco777
    Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

secure server

How is it created on web page and what are the advantages?
    Choco777
    www.mayatabasco.com

• Andy128
    Major General

• Dec 2005

Re: secure server

Here is what it is and how it works;

You can purchase ssl from Voda Host- simply open a support ticket.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• choco777
      Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Thanks Andy. Late getting back but appreciated. It is what I needed.

George
      Choco777
      www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• choco777
        Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Re: movies and audio help

While I'm at it I want to build a site for the Government here, who have offered a good sum for it.
        The idea is to have a sizeable 500+ word glossary that the spanish word or phrase can be linked to the translation,plus be able to also here what the native accent is. The movie would be scenarios in a dr. patient encounter or interview of 5 min or so but there would be about 15 individual ones(pronounciation).
        This is worth considerable $. It would be a password site and there could be newsletterblogs you name it. I am reding all the passed questions posted and also Kevins tutorial. But saw Andys name and thought of this.

Choco777
        www.mayatabasco.com
        Choco777
        www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Andy128
          Major General

• Dec 2005

I am guessing there is a script / program to aid you in this endeavor. Aside from that- you would need a database set up with a search query to match Spanish to english and vice versa. Then a seperate program to take that found word/phrase and put voice to it. I will poke around- nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• choco777
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Thanks Andy. I'm thinking to make it easier,maybe a glossary of english terms and the voice. Would the movies short dr. office scenarios be hard. I've never used movie camera believe it or not. Is it possible to download from any camera to a computer?
            Choco777
            www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Hey, Choc!
              Good Morning!

Most cameras nowadays are digital (even the video carmeras of old have evolved, some to mini-dvd) and downloading pictures and viedo clips (yes, some cameras do that!) is as simple as pulgging in a cord to your hard drive.

Camera manufacturers make this super easy by supplying you with the software to do this in the same package as the camera, if you don't already have a program you prefer.

If you don't already have a digital format camera, I would seriously consider investing in one that also includes viedo (usually up to 5 minute clips) as the prices have fallen over the last few years......

You will find it idespensible in your applications!!!
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• choco777
                Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Vasili,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go to Villahermosa about 50 miles where they have a Walmart WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!, I know. But here in this pueblita
                you cannot trust anything you buy. They might have bigger photo shops i will see. You never got back on one thread what is WifW or something like that mean? I'm a little sheltered here. What is your idea on this project should I try the vids or go strictly w/cds. the vids fetch more bucks, is the big difference. Don't want to get to technical because I'm no techie as u know.
                choco,

Choco777
                www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I'm sorry, Choco......I truly forgot about our earlier conversation.
                  About the WiFi? If I was in your "position" I would look into getting on satellite for my internet connection....much faster than dial-up and mid-way between DSL and cable. Then, I would try to amp up my laptop with wireless, as I imagine you are chomping at the bit to be "unplugged" and have the freedom to work wherever you need to. Good thing about being on satellite, is you can run your WiFi back up your dish and be able to extend your wireless to a couple hundred yards, at least.
                  **Ask the geeks at WalMart when you go up to town.....they should have all the little electronic gadgets that work particularly well in your area....

In your case, I think I would be more apt to lean the downloadable video way first.....as long as you can produce the quality clips that make sense. Then, when visitors arrive online (the cheapest means of promotion) they can simply download the specific vid according to their interest. It is instant gratification (hel-LO??) and incredibly cheaper than making and mailing CD's....at first. It also allows you to utilize the page view stats to see what is being downloaded and what isn't, which furthers your enhancements to your selection or "inventory" (vids, tours, content, etc.).
                  To make it simple and fast loading for interested parties, I would break each into smaller modules, also, and that way you can not worry about briefing your presentation into absurdity, and allow your visitors to get the whole picture, albeit in segments. **This also makes it easier to edit/update sections rather than an entire production. Somewhere on EACH page for vid downloads, you need to have an email reply/request form for them to request further info for you to follow up, and possibly THEN mail them a more complete single CD that you can leisurely produce yourself. It also allows you the opportunity to pre-plan their participation as you fulfill their personalized requests.....are you picking it up yet?? I used to be very involved with travel (esp. honemoon), corporate travel, and went on to create an adventure travel division, so this is right up my alley.

When you are just "starting out" the key is getting as much effective promotion generated as quickly and as inexpensively as possible, mindful to always be able to fulfill whatever comes down the pipe as you have promised. Having a really top-notch website is so extremely important (all pictures, videos, sounds -- all the elements, including content/the pitch) as it is the first impression potential paying clients have to base their decisions on....then, you have a limited amount of time and room to move to convert that interest into a transaction: always try to make it the emotional one first, the commitment...the money will follow.

In your case, visuals will be the one crucial element that will convey your import. But, you know that.

(As always, in my opinion)

Comment

• choco777
                    Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

as always it is valued info. I have thought about your suggestion on selected vacations or themes and it is very interesting. I am so amateur at this website building that I have to master that first and continue with local tours until it is up. I don't know what my options are (all of them) as far as advertising or getting hooked up with the RIGHT people. It is very tough here. If not for regulations it is because they don't follow the ones that would work. I was worried about oversell i.e. videos,slide shows, flowery presentations etc., There is enough here to present as I'm sure you've been in S.E. Mex. if not surely Sincity or Cancun,Merida. I'not techie enough or ad **** to go tooo big toooo soon. But I have To do it. Some day maybe you can know MY entire story, maybe not. I'm without.............well it is difficult here. I appreciate any help you offer and will not beleaguer you with trivial request for assistance. Just knowing SOMEONE is out there the BV community is help, and I do appreciate all of YOU. I'm thinking of pushing back my deadline to Feb. and that way will miss all the rainy season. HEAT doesn't start 'til May normally. Really only have oct-april for decent weather 90 degrees and 65+ humidity. It is hot but beautiful. enough said.

George
                    choco777
                    Choco777
                    www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

VietnamVetGeorge!

No problem, my friend! You really ARE doing a great job.
                      I too, would perfect the website as it is laid out now, just to have something super clean up and working......with BV8 and the "clone" function (remember how difficult it used to be to duplicate a page manually??) you can always have a page to work on until ready to publish/replace what is currently operational as you dream up more wonderful features.

When you have the time to take a breath, email me so we can continue progressing mutually without the constraint of the Forum.....

Graciously (ex-Army Ranger 1st/75th myself),

Comment

• choco777
                        Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Thank you, I'll do that.
                        Choco777
                        www.mayatabasco.com

Comment