How do I change my page template without redoing every site page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeHollinger
    Corporal

• Sep 2006

How do I change my page template without redoing every site page?

When I add a new item to a drop down menu on the page template it appears that I have to go to every page, update the template, and resubmit the page.

I hope there is a much simpler way to accomplish this. When all is said and done I will have several hundred pages on my site and I cannot be doing things this way.

Will someone be so kind as to show me the way?

Thank you,
    Joe Hollinger

joe@weblandsecurity.com
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: How do I change my page template without redoing every site page?

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but this is an excellent example of why I keep preaching to "Plan Your Work, and Work Your Plan" so often. Yes, often there are time when we unexpectedly must add an element or two, and that onesie-twosie process cannot be avoided.

Some have opted to create their Menu system using an I-Frame, which *******tes throughout every page, but there is a downside to that also: everything regarding Content below an I-Frame is ignored by SE's as they index and provide construct for your website ranking.

Long before the CLONE feature came out in BV, I found this to be the most annoying aspect of "webbing" and it was only then I fianally understood the lamentations of so-called webmasters I until then only tolerated.

Honestly, other than a complete redesign (which I personally do not recommend - nor using I-Frames) "Copy and Paste-Paste-Paste etc." is the quickest solution at hand.

Try to accept the fact BV makes webbing so easy, and you are finally trading personal time for precise results.....something we've all come to appreciate highly!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign
      General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

The ONLY way (if you use BV) is I frames. I disagree with opinions on this forum (there are several) that say that I frames are not SE friendly. I beleive that as long as the content is all in your site (as it really is when we are talking about menubars or headers/footers) SE will see the page content ok and will index your page properly.
      Anyway, that's your choice. The only practical way of accomplishing what you want to do, is to use them. This way you will only have one menu page, that will be implemented in the rest of your pages. Updates will only mean updating one single page. Have a look at http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...r-i-frame.html

and also

http://netisopen.com/computer/web/webpagestuff.html tutorials by Andy
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Bethers
        Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Actually, you can also do navigation and header in css - where it will be called up to every page through the css uploaded to each page. I have just started learning about this and haven't done it yet- so can't give details yet - but I, like Vasili, do not use the i-frame method. I will use the css method after I have it figured out completely and if I can use it the way I want.

There was another post on the forum within the last week about someone doing this already, but they are doing it with javascript navigation, and I don't recommend that either.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Bethers
          Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

If you want to look at doing the css positioning yourself - here's some info on it:

About.com's info on CSS Positioning

Good luck.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• JoeHollinger
            Corporal

• Sep 2006

Thanks Vasili, navaldesign, and Bethers for your responses. Nancy and I have been working long and hard to learn all we can about web design and the aspects related thereto. We, evidently, have a lot more to learn.

Vasili, you post was not taken in the wrong way. Our products niche will require us to always be adding and removing pages. We only market software products that offer protection from malware for computer users that connect to the Internet and other networks. Since technology is constantly changing and new publishers continue to come on line, we will never have a fixed product base. Frequent changes to, and addition of more, pages is essential.

I think we will explore the use of css style sheets for the template. Can the templates be provided as style sheets (code) that we can edit?

Thanks to all,
            Joe Hollinger

joe_hollinger@tds.net

Comment

• LadyEye
              General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

I just read this recent news to be able to make a global change, in another thread ....
              this is great news ....

here is the thread

you'll find the author and instructions there .....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
              X