X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Password and Access Conundrum

Hi,

HELP!! My website is advancing but as push comes to shove the questions become more tricky and vital to me! - I want the site basically split into 2 parts - free public access to certain information, documents and RSS feeds and subscriber only with access to the same type of material but more heavy duty and specific.

The question is how do I achieve this? so that a number of pages are accessible only to visitors who have passed via a subscriber page , registered a sign on id with some personal details and have been assigned or choose a password? is that a sub domain? (please forgive my ignorance).

Restricted documents are present on the general public site but clicking takes visitors to the subscriber page - if they have already registered they should need to enter their username+password to gain access or if new they go through the reg process.

Pretty standard stuff but how is it done? (I am completely out of smoke and mirrors).

Hope you genii (uses) out there can help!!

Roy

Re: My Password and Access Conundrum

I have part of my website set up that is only accessible via a password ...

what happens when you hit that page is you are asked for a password, and told you have to email for the password ... I then send emails out with the password ....

all these pages would need to go into their own directory and then you password protect that directory ....

this tutorial may help you if this is what you are asking about

http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

There are two ways of having password protected page. The first one is by using a pass protected directory, as Lady Eye suggested. In this case, you should create a form on your site, where visitors will signup. After you receive the signup information, you email them the username and password for access to this protected folder. The second way, is to use a login script (there are many on the net, for free) or a membership script. If you do so, they usually come with instructions for the installation and use.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi,
        Many thanks for the reply - I never knew this type of script was avaialble on the web.

First I watched the tutorial as suggested - If I test/choose the Lady Eye route how do I best set the directory up and publish the protected pages within?

Can a forum, a blog and a series of pages all exist in the same directory so that one password allows access to all? How would I do that?

Apologies if these are dumb questions

Roy

Comment

Great - thanks for the clear info
          Roy

Originally posted by LadyEye
          I have part of my website set up that is only accessible via a password ...

what happens when you hit that page is you are asked for a password, and told you have to email for the password ... I then send emails out with the password ....

all these pages would need to go into their own directory and then you password protect that directory ....

this tutorial may help you if this is what you are asking about

http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm

Comment

You can also set them in different folders, but use the same username and password for all the protected folders.

You publish your pages normally, as if those were normal folders.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
            X