Cloning Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloning Problems

Hi, I have tried to figure this out, but I'm stumped. I have been trying to clone a page on my new site, so that I don't need to retype everything etc. on the following pages. The problem is, I can't figure out how! When I use the clone button, it just renames the original page as the clone. What am I doing wrong? I watched the tutorial for making the template page and using that, but when I hit the same open page button that they use in the video, I don't get the prompts to use a template. Any advice?
    A place for moms:

When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out. ~Erma Bombeck

Re: Cloning Problems

Hi, that’s correct. All you have to do is make any alterations that you may want to do & rename the cloned page what ever you like the cloned page to be . IE: if it is admin_clone, just go to the file menu & save as ???? (change the name) your ordinal admin page wont be altered.

Chris
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

There are actually a couple ways to do this. One is the clone. Click clone and then pick the page you wish to clone. It will pop up as "page_clone" and this is ok. Now simply click "save page as" and name it what you wish.

The second is to create a template. You can clone the page and then click "save as template". This will put it in the template folder. You can then pull it up at any time and add content to it. You must remember NOT TO HIT THE SAVE button while working on it or adding content. When the page is built to your liking- click "save page as" and then name the page.

The third way is to make the page the way you want that will have all that you want to appear on each page. Click "save page as" and name it something like main_template. Now any time you wish to create another page, simply open this page and add content. Much like the template, do not save until all done. Then simply click "save page as" and give it a new name.

If you screw up and hit the save button before clicking the "save as page' to re-name it- all is not lost. Simply continue on and re-name the page and save. Then open that page (main_template) and remove content until it gets back to your "template" stage.

I hope that is a good explanation. If not- post back and I'll try to explain it better.

Cheers,
      Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks Andy for these instructions. It has been probably been posted for a while, but I just came across it...and at a good time. I'm up for any time-saver like this.

Comment

Working...
        X