• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jock of loch
    Sergeant

• Jul 2006

gallery issue

Hi,
    When I preview a gallery on my home comp, it works great, as does the initial page, but when I copy the files, including all files in the bluevoda, and preview folders (before you ask to exactly the same folders within my docs and the temp/preview folders) to use on my works comp (during my breaks!) as I have limited time, the page does not show the pics, although when you click on the space they seem to be there, and you can re-load the pics to see them, and also the preview shows a thin line which you can access if you are steady of hand, which will bring up the full screen shot. Duh!
    Any ideas as to what is happening, as I've shot all my bullets!
    Thanks again,
    Jock of Loch
    By the way, I'm trying really hard to get my store up this week, but I'm drowning!!!

www.lochdesignsjewellery.com
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: gallery issue

The pictures are on your home computer - not the work computer - no matter how many files you copy - it can't find them.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• MrCirrus
      Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Hi Jock it sounds very similar to my problem http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...html#post93903 I think you probably saw this thread but just to clarify what i did to fix it. I had moved my original gallery images to a different location on my PC. This caused all the thumbnails to show as a very narrow image, with care I could still click on the image and get the full picture up (as you mentioned). I checked my public folder and the images were still there. To solve it I got all the images back into one folder on my PC, re-made my gallery with them, then re-published and everthing is now OK. I realise now that I must not move this picture file on my PC or I will have problems again. Hope this works for you
      www.glidingcomp.com

Comment

• jock of loch
        Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Hi to all,
        Thanks for the input, and I accept all the comments, but if the pictures are only on my home computer, I fail to see how I can re-load them back into the gallery at work, and have the items show up on the page. All the files were copied and are in the bluevoda images and preview folders on the works computer. I can double click on the space the thumbnails should be, and re-load the same files at work, and have the picture gallery show as usual in bluevoda, and in preview. I can only assume that the picture capture in gallery will NOT allow me to export to another computer, whereas all other features of bluevoda allow me this function. One point I should make is that the file copy function in XP tells me that "certain data attached to some files will not be copied, but the file will remain intact"
        Anyhow, it doesn't stop me loving the programme, just means I have to use the gallery feature at home to load up, as Bethers does, one row of items at a time.
        Again, I accept the validity of your comments, but still see, from my point of view, a problem with the gallery function. Does anyone use a laptop as well as a home computer to work on their files with the gallery function, and import export files?
        Again thanks,
        Jock.

Comment

• Bethers
          Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

The only way they will work on your computer at work is if the path to the pictures is IDENTICAL in EVERY way to the path on your home computer.

One way to make this be so - is to put the pictures on an external device that you plug into whichever computer you are using. Then the path is the same and you can use it on multiple computers - which is what I did for one of my sites. (As I back everything up to external devices anyway.)
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• jock of loch
            Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Hi,
            thank you very much Bethers, as at last I can see the solution to my problem through the haze. The path to the files at my workplace uses my nickname, not my real name. Your brilliant idea of using the external drive is great, and will be instantly taken up.
            Again many thanks, and I hope to put some store pages up for critique very soon.
            Consider this thread closed.
            Many thanks,
            John, (alias Jock)

Comment

• asirimarco
              Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

i learned this the hard way too - going from home PC to laptop while traveling - now I keep ALL BV files and folders on a Thumb Drive 2g size- and have BV program installed in both places. it was just hard getting used to - but works fine now
              ann
              Ann
              www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
              www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
              www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

Working...
              X