Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page widths

Hi everyone.

This really isnt much of a problem, just a question! What page sizes does everyone set their page properties to? I know mine is set to such a stupid size which I am going to change when I get back to England, but I dont really know what the best size is to set it to!

Regards

Teri

Re: Page widths

Originally posted by darklight
    Hi everyone.

This really isnt much of a problem, just a question! What page sizes does everyone set their page properties to? I know mine is set to such a stupid size which I am going to change when I get back to England, but I dont really know what the best size is to set it to!

Regards

Teri

Hi, it is really best to set your page width to '800 ... this takes into consideration 100% of people viewing on the internet, the next resolution would be 1024 but you would lose 20% of the people viewing, if you set you page width to '800 and apply a background colour, it will fill the screens of everyones monitors and you will not have sideways scroll which people do not like

the length is not an issue, as people do not mind scrolling downward

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

The information LadyEye gave is correct.

However, you need to judge for yourself what you might lose. I have discovered on my shopping sites, less than 10% of my visitors are using 800 resolution - and most of them are coming from this forum. I also created the sites in a way that I don't think they lose too much by designing the page at a 1000 width.

I take that chance - but then I avoid almost all the other annoyances - like I have no marquees, no sound, no flash, etc etc - and that gains me back way more than I might lose by the width.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the answers! I really do hate having to scroll sideways to read lines of text! When I set my home computer monitor to 800 by 600, it did seem to be a problem. The site is no way finished yet so I can afford to mess around with it. Is it a good idea to centre everything on the page? ie in the page properties/ centre?

Regards

Teri

Comment

Originally posted by darklight
          Excellent. Thanks for the answers! I really do hate having to scroll sideways to read lines of text! When I set my home computer monitor to 800 by 600, it did seem to be a problem. The site is no way finished yet so I can afford to mess around with it. Is it a good idea to centre everything on the page? ie in the page properties/ centre?

Regards

Teri

Yes, center your pages Teri ... and remember that when you are fooling around it's important to recheck at the end of making your page again, ensuring that your page properties continue to be set at the '800 width, sometimes when building, we disrupt the edges with images, or insertions, so check before you republish each time ....

Have fun, sounds like you are on your way to a great site!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ah great thanks for that! Its not all that great of a site sadly. I havent been able to make it on my own with my own design because its for my brother in law and he wanted it a certain way. When I finish the site I will post the link asking for alot of help making it look better. Bear in mind that some things cant be changed though :(

Regards
            Teri

Comment

lol darklight ... those darn brother in laws, lol .... we look forward to seeing it when you are done ... I am sure even with the brother in laws ideas it will be great!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

indeed! lol. You know what. If i send you the link could you check it out and see what you think will look better and stuff? only if you are cool with it. It will save me from finishing it and then redoing it!

Teri

Comment

Sure if you like, but believe you me, there are greater experts on here than I and if you wanted to post what you have so far and get input from everyone, everyone would be happy to .... but whatever you like to do, is fine by me.... I can look now, I am here .... I'd be happy to!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ok cool, When I sort it out a little more, I will post the link!
                    Cheers
                    Teri

Comment

Working...
                    X