Text size increasing problems..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text size increasing problems..

Does anyone know what the "default" text size should be for a given page?
    My buddy says font size 12 is standard. I only use that for some subheadlines. I mostly use font size 10 for onpage text. His website (which is made from a Yahoo template) doesn't have the problem described below.

My problem is this..

I have many websites and I have been getting feedback from customers saying that they can't read the text because it is all jumbled. I test all of my websites on several computers using IE6 and 7 as well as Fire Fox (latest version) and I have tested the "View>text size>increase+ and the decrease-"
    options in the browsers on multiple computers. I have gone and looked at several BV created websites from links on this forum and they all seem to have the same problems with the text resizing. I know that this is hurting my business and I need to know if there is a fix for this.

I have tried expanding the text area to leave room at the end of the text box for expanding text and this helps a little but if the text is close together it still stacks up on top of the adjacent text blocks.

I have tried using tables but this does't really allow me to place the text as I need it in some cases.

When I go and look at some of my competitors websites, they don't have this problem.

I am using BV8 and I have resaved the text on many of my pages and republished them but the problem is still there...

I am using very standard fonts (Ariel black etc...)

OK.....Now does anyone have this problem or any suggestions for something I haven't yet tried?

Naval???
    Bethers???
    Pablo???
    Affordable Medical Insurance
    Discount Dental Plan
    Washington State Health Insurance
    Temporary Health Insurance
    Homeowner Insurance Quote

Re: Text size increasing problems..

My text always looks the same- and the size you want will vary depending on the font you use.

Can you give an example of where you are having the trouble so we can see it?
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

I have about a dozen add-on domains running and each one has different text box utilizations and different sizes. No problems with any of them under various browser versions and different screen resolution settings.

I use the "default" width of 800 pixels wide and I always centre the page.

AB
      Adrian
      A-B Technology Group

Comment

None of your pages appear jumbled.
        You're looking at different things, you select the default font size under Page Properties, the two most common sizes for letter writing are 11 and 12 and like bethers mentioned the font type will change the viewing size; Arial 10 is viewed larger than Times 10. For web sites 10 and 11 seem to be more common, probably because most people have their browsers set by default.
        If the text box is too "tight" your text will appear cut off.
        Bill
        www.blueearthtea.com
        www.ftaaconsulting.com
        www.iaval.com
        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Basically any of my sites look messed up if someone doesn't have thei browser setting set to "Normal" for viewing the text size. I think some people are using laptops and maybe leaving their favorites open in IE on the left side or something.

If any one has the time, go to any one of my sites listed in my sig and when viewing it, enlarge the text and let me know what you find. Maybe this is nothing I can do anything about. Maybe I can......Not really sure what to think but all of your input is greatly appreciated.
          Discount Dental Plan

Comment

There can be some problems if people select the largest text size. Now, I have been told that you can "lock" the text size - but for those who may need the largest size, I would rather they have an occasional overlap, than that they leave because they can't read it at all.

It's actually not often people choose the other settings - and most of the people on computers don't even know that's an option they have (like changing the default email or browser window or screen resolution).

The few overlaps I saw on your pages, I wouldn't worry about. Do you really have people complaining on it that are using that larger setting?

And, by the way, the default font sizes for typing have been 10 and 12 for as long as I've been typing. More and more have gone down to 10 on the web.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Bethers. I do most every thing in size 10 for text and sizes 12 and 14 for bullets and headlines.

This is an issue that just came up about 8 times in the last two weeks from different people. I had no idea that it was happening and when I resize the text in my browsers (IE and FF) the text gets crazy looking so it must just be that people are reading with enlarged font views.

Thanks for taking a look for me.

Bethers, do you know of a way I could do a drop down menu that will be spidered by the search engines? I read somewhere that it can be done with CSS but I couldn't figure it out with explanation I saw.
              Discount Dental Plan

Comment

I haven't heard of any drop down menu's that se's are reading yet - will keep my eyes and ears out for you on that.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

motoxxx: I to see no problem. When I set my view text size to largest, there is just a little overlapping at the top, but nothing I would be concerned about. I ususally have mine set at medium, using IE6 with a display resolution of 1280 by 1024.

Sorry, can't help on the se issue.....don't know enough...I to rely on Beth for that info.
                  Cindy Smentowski

Comment

The sites look perfect to me. Im running IE6
                    Regards
                    Teri

Comment

Working...
                    X