how do i make my site open to fit all screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i make my site open to fit all screens

How do make my site open to fit various screens? Various people have told my site opens and does not fit their screens. Is there something I can do?

Re: how do i make my site open to fit all screens

The best rule of thumb is to create your pages at 800 pixels wide and center them. This way your site will fit most browsers.
    Naturally Yours,
    Dori
    www.earthelixirs.com
    www.earthelixirsinc.com
    www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
    www.virtualdesigndiva.com
    www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

There are advantages and disadvantages of the websites that change sizes to fit various screens. If you are building using BV, you cannot do this. And if you look to the majority of the biggest sites out there, they do not use that option either.

What you want to do - is build your site so that the majority of people can see it. If you select for it to center in the page and use a pleasing background - people will no longer talk about your site doesn't fit the screen - unless you are making it too big and they have to scroll right to left.

Between 10-20% of computers out there still have the 800 width - so to make sure no one has to scroll left to right, you need to stay within the 800 - since I find less than 10% of the traffic to my websites are on those computers, I design at abou 1000 pixels - therefore I could be alienating about 10% of the users. However, I also design where even those users aren't losing much if they don't have to scroll.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

I have the same problem, but don't know how to fix it exactly and where... maybe you can help... www.la-lime.nl.

Thanks.

Comment

I think the easiest way to center pages is this:

1. go the page properties and set your page width so everything on your page fits and do the same for page height. For instance: if you have a navigation bar that extends out to 900 width then make your page width to 915.

2. Then check the box that says Center in Browser (also in the page properties)

3. publish

Remember most people have their screen Res. set to 800 X 600
          thats why the closer you get your width and height to that the better. It doesn't necessary have to be the same user might have to scroll to the right a little bit.

Hope this helps

MH
          www.bellissimoweddingsandevents.com
          creator: M. Hoon
          http://www.bellissimoweddingsandevents.com
          Wedding Planning and Consulting

Comment

No, most people do NOT have the resolution set to 800 x 600 - less than 20% and going down constantly.

But that isn't what this thread is about - they are asking how to have the screen change to fit the different resolutions - and that is NOT possible with BV. It is possible with many of the templates in Soho.

I don't set page height - as my pages set that automatically as I add items to it.

Users do not like scrolling right to left, but are very used to scrolling down pages. (However, because there are less and less users on the 800 resolution, it's up to you whether you design to that or not. Personally, I've started designing some sites to 1000 width - as 80% plus of users will not have to scroll at that width.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

I agree with you but I was just suggesting an easy way to get your page centered. You don't have to do 800X600 you can bigger but I think you need to change your width so everything on your page just fits inside that and then check box center.

mh
              creator: M. Hoon
              http://www.bellissimoweddingsandevents.com
              Wedding Planning and Consulting

Comment

Actually, you should decide on a page width first - then design everything to fit it - not the other way around :)

Planning a design has to include the size - and deciding the size has to be done knowing why it would be done.

We might be saying the same thing - but I don't want anyone confused and selecting a width to fit whatever they do - they could have a page so wide no one will be able to see it.

And, back to what this post is about - there are times when the fluid templates work very well - and there are times they will make a page look completely different that intended - so that has to be considered before using a fluid template (with Soho or whoever).
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                X