Independant NAV BARS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independant NAV BARS

Folks, here's a tip for those that want a quick way to make a shared border (inline frame) for nav bars so you only have to update one page and not every page if you want to add or remove links from your nav bars.

Essentially you will create a frame at the top of each page (inline frame) and this frame will host your nav bar.

here's an example.
    www.pilotchip.com/home/home.html

you can see i have my IFRAME at the top of every page.
    inside the IFRAME i have a page called nav.html
    this page has my nav bars on it.

Now on my home page (home.html) the IFRAME links to nav/nav.html

i had to follow this thread in order for my IFRAME to become transparent so my nav bars would cascade over the rest of my site.

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...ht=transparent

now that my IFRAME is transparent, I had to make it really tall (the bottom went down to 200pixels OVER the rest of the site)

make sure the IFRAME is placed IN FRONT of the entire rest of the page. it will load over everything but it will not be seen because of its transparency. That allows my nav bars to cascade over the page but have the background transparent while it actually sits over the rest of the page too.

links in the IFRAME should target to: _top or they will load in the IFRAME itself rather than in the entire browser window.

So now when you want to add something or remove it from the nav bars, you just have to edit one page and not all of them. then just upload the nav bar page again, once.

This was the easiest way I could figure out how to make a nav frame.

Jason
    www.PilotChip.com
Working...
X