Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

Right, I wanted to redo my website so I deleted all my publishing by going to "tools", and then "FTP Manager" etc, I then published my new page, but when I went to the index it was the same page that I had deleted. Before I did delete the pages I had pubslished, I deleted my other pages by going to where you save your work (when you click on "save as" and save it in the box) could this have messed things up?

Re: Help Please

The way I do it is by going to your BV control panel and going to the file manager and selecting your public.html folder and then search for the pages you want to delete. However, I did the same thing deleted pages to publish the new ones and later on that day my business partner on her own computer still had to old page on there. She hit the refresh and it fixed the problem. Try that or go through the control panel.

MH
    www.bellissimoweddingsandevents.com
    creator: M. Hoon
    http://www.bellissimoweddingsandevents.com
    Wedding Planning and Consulting

Comment

when deleting pages through your control panel, be sure to clear your browsers cache and refresh (Ctrl+F5). Also, it would probably be a smart thing to NOT delete your "index" page, rather simply re-publish as new and delete any old files associated with it...if that is your intention.
      Robert
      www.GraphXntrix.com
      Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Tygra,

I too learned the hard way of deleting production pages or overwriting production pages. Now what I have done is rename all of my pages I am working on locally with BV by capitalizing the first letter in the name. Example if I had a page named "scouts.html" in production, the page that I would edit here locally would be "Scouts.html".

When I am ready and I publish "Scouts.html" it does not overwrite my production page of "scouts.html". This trick also allows me to test my page live from the server in additon to preview mode locally. I do this by going to the site as http://www.mysite.com/Scouts.html.

If I am satisifed with the page, I use a program called Free FTP Manager, which can be found at fttp://www.freeftpmanager.com/.

DISCLAIMER: Don't take this wrong, the FTP manager in ControlPanel is great but I had difficulty renaming pages with it.

What I do with FreeFTPManager is connect to my site, sort my view by "filetype" so that they would look something like this;

Scouts.html
        scouts.html

I click on "scouts.html" and rename it to "scoutsbak.html" then I click on "Scouts.html" and rename it to "scouts.html".
        I leave "scoutsbak.html" there just in case I see a problem with my production page "scouts.html" I can quickly revert back to the original.

This all sounds complicated but really it isn't. Some will say it is alot of work but I think it is worth the peace of mind knowing that my production pages are safe from my fatal mistakes.
        It can be a great day but it's your choice!

Rick
        P.S. Don't let the world pass you by, ride out ahead of it on a motorcycle!

http://www.deepsouthrides.com

Comment

The thing is though I did'nt delete my home page, I went to "select all" and deleted what I had done on my home page. I deleted everything at the control panel from the old one, however, it wont let my delete two files, they just wont delete for some weird reason. So, I delete everything what I can from the old page, then I publish me new page, I go to the index and all the stuff I deleted has come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tygra
            it wont let my delete two files, they just wont delete for some weird reason. So, I delete everything what I can from the old page, then I publish me new page, I go to the index and all the stuff I deleted has come back.
            What are the names of the two pages that you are unable to delete and are they pages that you published?

Rick

Comment

They are not pages, one is a video and one is a picture, also I cant delete the public_html folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tygra
                They are not pages, one is a video and one is a picture, also I cant delete the public_html folder.
                You can't delete the public_html folder and wouldn't want or need to if you could. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to delete the video and picture files. Can you create a temporary folder and move them up into it? Have you looked at the permissions on the file through "file manager" in control panel? Not sure how but it might be possible that those files were set to read only.

Rick

Comment

click and read the below very carefully.....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thankyou vey much for your help, all was what needed was to hit the refresh button a few times.

But now with one of my pages it just wont publish, it gets halfway and seems to get stuck, and I have tried several times, is there anyway around this?

Comment

Try waiting a few moments, save the page and republish.
                      Robert
                      www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Sorry Robert, I dont quite understand what you mean, it gets stuck so I have to exit it, I then open Blue Voda again and try publishing it again, but it just gets stuck once more.

Comment

Is that the only page that does this when publishing?

if it's locking up BV, then it might be a program error. Uninstall, then re-install BlueVoda. See if that fixes the problem.
                          Robert
                          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Working...
                          X