• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clarrisa
    Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Can I work with my BV on 2 different PCs at once

Hi all, any advice here would be MUCH appreciated. My website has reached a size where I need another pair of hands to create and upload new pages at the same time as I am working on the website too. Is it possible to do this on 2 PCs that are not networked?

Many thanks in anticipation

Clare
    www.fuerteventurabusinessdirectory.com
  • Girlonthehill
    General

• Oct 2005

Re: Can I work with my BV on 2 different PCs at once

Hi, Clare!

Yes it is possible but will need a little preparation beforehand. You need to ensure that your 'helper' has BlueVoda installed on their pc. Also, all the files that you have in your BlueVoda folder on your pc, need to be copied to your helper's pc - this includes all images too. It would be simpler if you copied them in the same folder structure as you have on your pc.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• limebrook1
      Brigadier General

• Jun 2005

It is the server that you are uploading to that is important, not your PC. As long as you are uploading to your website this shouldn't be a problem.
      Trish
      www.Limebrook.com
      www.MountainWalk.co.uk
      www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
      www.TucsonForBeginners.com
      www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

• clarrisa
        Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Hi Trish and Amanda

Thankyou so much for your prompt replies....the issue that I am thinking myself round in circles on is that I currently back-up my entire website onto a disc at the end of play each day....if there are two of us working separately will we not end up with two different back-up discs (as the back-up comes from the offline Blue Voda files as opposed to the online website), or am I overthinking this or just being plain dense (the most likely case)?!

Sorry....

Clare

Comment

• Collectors-info
          General

• Feb 2006

Hi Clare,
          Got to take my hat off to the way your site is coming along. At the stage you are at now, I would Seriously, Seriously, consider looking into using a database for the amount of info you may end up with. At the moment, you only have a few hundred listings & this is more than manageable in BV. But if you keep going as you are to hopefully many thousands of ads, I think you will run into problems with maintaining a large amount of data doing it this way, & loose out on other advantages you will have with all this available info you will have.
          The other advantage of a database is
          • The flexibility of been able to look & extract information in many different ways.
          • Being able to adapted & manipulate the information for your self & others to use.
          • Being able to have a lot more than one person working on the system at any one time.
          • Being able to make up mailing lists very easily.
          • Being reminded automatically of sponsored adds need to pay their bills.
          • Backing up your data on mysql & to another disc / machine. (this can be set up to auto back up every day if you wished. (Automatically) ..)
          As things in the net world change, we all have to change with it. So just as a very un-lightly scenario, lets say vodahost went bankrupted (please, please don’t) or for some reason you wanted to leave (can’t see why) & your site is set up as it is at the moment. You wont be able to use your pages with another host as they wont work & how long would it take to re type or cut & paste your work into a new site.????????
          But if your info was on a database & set up right, you would be able to go to another host & load this info onto a new site within possibly a few hours, rather than weeks
          As I say it’s only an idea, but would hate to see so much good work not being able to be used to its full potential & being possibly lost if an IT disaster of some sort was to happen.

Good luck.

PS. Think you will have some fun trying to have 2 of you on two machines working on the same site. I would at least separate it into separate directory’s to enable the ease of being able to find things on the server, & you can then just say i will work on a specific area/directory. So you may end up with?

and so on.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• clarrisa
            Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Wow, Chris, thank you so much for that....it's a whole new scary can o' worms but I do understand what you are saying.

Just hope you are ready for the thousand + questions that I WILL be asking you when I do it!!

Thanks again

Clare

Comment

• Dream Lady
              Major General

• Feb 2006

Clare: Wow you have done a lot of work. Chris makes an excellent point. There are several threads on this forum dealing with Database management. I know that David has spent some time on this. Here is a link to one of his threads you may want to look at. http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/cus...light=database
              Good Luck!
              Cindy
              Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Working...
              X