Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Questions

Hello everyone.
    I posted these questions in the General Chit Chat Forum but didn't get any answers, so I think I posted them in the wrong place. I'm sorry if I've broken the rules by posting the same message in two different forums. I'd be happy to delete this post form the previous forum if someone could teach me how to delete my posts.
    I have a few basic question regarding radio buttons. I went through the video tutorials on this site and I created a sample page with some radio buttons to define a user's gender. I created a radio button for male and another for female. The problem arose when I previewed my webpage in Internet Explorer. Once I clicked the radio button, there was no way I could DESELECT it. Furthermore, I could select both radio buttons, thereby making me male and female at the same time (Sounds like a movie I once saw). My questions are as follows:
    1) How do I create radio buttons that can be unselected after being selected?
    2) How do I create a pair of radio buttons such that only ONE can be selected at a time?
    I made the radio buttons part of the same group but it didn't help.

Additionally, is there any way by which I can FIX or LOCK the page dimensions? The page dimensions change everytime I drag a picture to the edge of the screen. This makes it extremely difficult to place images rapidly.

I'm thinking of registering for Google Adsense so that I can place advertisments on my site. I read something about pasting an HTML code in a box on the website. How do I make this box and can I fix it's dimensions? Google mentioned something about standard dimensions for ads, so should I make a box equal to the same area? And what type of box should I make? Is there some special tool that I need to use? Yes, I'm a complete newbie at this! :)

I'd appreciate any help on these matters. Thank you for taking the time to read through all this. I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong forum.

With Regards,
    Bamby

Re: Basic Questions

Originally posted by bamby1983
    Hello everyone.
    I posted these questions in the General Chit Chat Forum but didn't get any answers, so I think I posted them in the wrong place. I'm sorry if I've broken the rules by posting the same message in two different forums. I'd be happy to delete this post form the previous forum if someone could teach me how to delete my posts.
    I have a few basic question regarding radio buttons. I went through the video tutorials on this site and I created a sample page with some radio buttons to define a user's gender. I created a radio button for male and another for female. The problem arose when I previewed my webpage in Internet Explorer. Once I clicked the radio button, there was no way I could DESELECT it. Furthermore, I could select both radio buttons, thereby making me male and female at the same time (Sounds like a movie I once saw). My questions are as follows:
    1) How do I create radio buttons that can be unselected after being selected?
    2) How do I create a pair of radio buttons such that only ONE can be selected at a time?
    I made the radio buttons part of the same group but it didn't help.

Not sure about your radio buttons, someone else will help you here ...

Additionally, is there any way by which I can FIX or LOCK the page dimensions? The page dimensions change everytime I drag a picture to the edge of the screen. This makes it extremely difficult to place images rapidly.

The best width to set your page at is '800 width. Setting at this width allows 100% of the viewers on the internet to see your page on their screen without scrolling sideways. For viewers viewing in larger resolution, you will have a background color or image that appears on the sides of their screen. Set your page width via right clicking on your page, select page properties and set it at '800, the length can vary. Tick center in browser at this point as well. All will then be good for anyone. To lock this width, select lock all under the file menu in your builder. Keep in mind if you insert an image larger than '800 width it will go outside of the boundary. It is important to keep all test and any elements with this width. Also important to relock your page and check the width again in page properties before you publish.

I'm thinking of registering for Google Adsense so that I can place advertisments on my site. I read something about pasting an HTML code in a box on the website. How do I make this box and can I fix it's dimensions? Google mentioned something about standard dimensions for ads, so should I make a box equal to the same area? And what type of box should I make? Is there some special tool that I need to use? Yes, I'm a complete newbie at this! :)

Google Ads provide you with .html code that is inserted via Tools, Advanced, html ... when you do this a grey box will appear that you actually insert the code. Sizing of this box can be done by selecting the blue handles that appear on all four sides of this grey box. After you publish, have a look to be certain you have sized it correctly for the image google is placing. This can only be done by looking, checking and arranging properly.

I'd appreciate any help on these matters. Thank you for taking the time to read through all this. I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong forum.

With Regards,
    Bamby
    Hope this helps!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you for your response, Ladyeye.
      The "Lock All" option is in the Edit Menu. I cannot find one in the File Menu. Moreover, it does not lock the page width. Dragging a picture of any size (even a small one) to the edges of the screen increases the Page Width. This makes image placement extremely inconvenient, inaccurate and slow.
      Is there any way in which we can define a fixed area in the screen using a template and have images display in that area alone?
      Google's HTML script mentions something regarding the ad width and height. Does this mean that the website builder will automatically use their dimensions? Or do we have to manually adjust the dimensions?
      Is there a tool using which we can specify the size of an image or a box, using units like pixels, inches or a percentage of the original size? Manually dragging and scaling images and boxes is often quite shoddy and inaccurate and takes a lot of time, especially in comparison to simply typing in the desired size and dimensions.
      Is there some way in which we can scale pictures uniformly without distorting their length:breadth ratio? Manual scaling results in uneven or skewed effects.
      Is there a way by which we can make the contents of the page load first, the images next and the music and sound effects last?
      Hehehe please forgive me for the onslaught of questions.
      Regards,
      Bamby

Comment

Hi Bamby

yw ... and yes you would be right, it is under the edit menu. It does lock the page width, however, it will slide over if you place elements outside of its boundary.

What I find with using the html box for these google ads, etc., is you are not always certain of their size, only by eyeballing can you try and place it correctly, that is why I suggest having a look in preview after placing so you can get an idea if you are placing things correctly.

There is no way to set the page that it won't allow outside elements, best to view with the edge markings along the top of your page ...

You should not be manually adjusting the images for your pages, as they should be optimized and sized when inserting them.
        A few good tools for doing so, the pix resizer, a free downloadable via voda and an on line image optimizer, found here ...

When you publish your page, your page loads with all the content you have placed on it ... music normally loads last as it tends to be the largest file ...

If you like why not read a few of my blue voda tips ... this can help with some of your questions ...

:)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you Lady Eye.
          I went through your pdf file and noticed that you mentioned that people using the Blue Voda Website Builder can publish their website on Blue Voda alone. Does this imply that we cannot convert our website to HTML and use it with another webspace provider?
          Regards,
          Bamby

Comment

Working...
          X