• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiia
    Corporal

• Feb 2007

Pre-publishing questions about web pages

Hi,

I have general questions about webpages made with bluevoda before publishing them.

1. When previewing one web page in a browser, it has everything in it shown, BUT the shape which I have put as the base of the whole page, on top of the ground colour (navy). Now that the shape on top of this navy back ground does not show up, the whole page is navy. I have copied and passed the contents of the page two times to a new page in bluevoda, and then previewed it, but the problem continues. Why? Other pages I have made work just fine when previewing them.

I was wondering that when I publish the page, will it be like this then too?

2. About publishing. The home page I name, save and publish as "index", how about the subpages? For example now I have named and saved one of the sub pages as "Elibrary". Do I now publish this same page as "Elibrary" as well?

3. About linking. What urls I put to each links which point from homepage to the subpages? Do I add the sub page name after the url to make the link point to the subpage, like this; www.xxx.com/subpage-name

4. And when pointing from subpages to home page do I add ... /index to the url?

5. I should have my downloadable products saved in my downloads page (which I will publish), under the links that point to them, so that when a customer goes there after the payment, he can download the products immediately. How do I do it?

6. And how do I create the links to the downloads?

7. I have lot of downloadable products. Is there some kind of limit in how much can be put in the web page to be downloaded?

I am a total beginner with this, so please be patient with me if my questions sound funny.. ;)

Hopefully my english is good enough for you to understand the questions...

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me!

Kia
  • Malhoeira
    Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Re: Pre-publishing questions about web pages

I'm a beginner too so I understand some of your problems very well. Someone more experienced will have to help you with the other things.

You save your home page as index in your BV file
    On the navigation bar you enter just your domain name http://xxx.com for the home page.
    Don't add /index
    After you've published you can go to Tools and click on Verify links. If it's not right, you'll know right away.

Save your Elibrary page as elibrary in your BV file and put it on the navigation bar as http://xxx.com/elibrary.html Don't forget the html and avoid capitals. Keep all your BV pages together.

Better read/listen to the tutorials about the links
    There are simple links via the html button and other links via FTP

Take each step one at a time and it will be easier. Ask again when you get stuck. The BV community is very helpful and friendly. Good luck!
    Sarah
    british-cemetery-elvas.org

Comment

• LadyEye
      General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Kiia
      Hi,

I have general questions about webpages made with bluevoda before publishing them.

1. When previewing one web page in a browser, it has everything in it shown, BUT the shape which I have put as the base of the whole page, on top of the ground colour (navy). Now that the shape on top of this navy back ground does not show up, the whole page is navy. I have copied and passed the contents of the page two times to a new page in bluevoda, and then previewed it, but the problem continues. Why? Other pages I have made work just fine when previewing them.

I was wondering that when I publish the page, will it be like this then too?

Without us having a look at your page we can't be certain what may be happening. Do you have a navy shape on another page and you are copying it from page to page and this page is the only one with navy background? If this is the case, don't copy the shape, insert a new shape with the new color for this page ....

2. About publishing. The home page I name, save and publish as "index", how about the subpages? For example now I have named and saved one of the sub pages as "Elibrary". Do I now publish this same page as "Elibrary" as well?

You sound like you are understanding the naming and publishing process for all your pages. name, save and publish as page name, all small letters, no capitals, no spaces unless joined together by the use of the _ (underscore key)

3. About linking. What urls I put to each links which point from homepage to the subpages? Do I add the sub page name after the url to make the link point to the subpage, like this; www.xxx.com/subpage-name

Yes, and like already mentioned to you, for all other pages, other than your index page, you need to add /nameofpage.html at the end of your domain name ... it looks like this http://www.yourdomainname.com/nameofpage.html

4. And when pointing from subpages to home page do I add ... /index to the url?

No, you need only use your http://www.yourdomainname.com
      this is only for your main page, also called the landing page or the url of your site (address on the world wide web)

5. I should have my downloadable products saved in my downloads page (which I will publish), under the links that point to them, so that when a customer goes there after the payment, he can download the products immediately. How do I do it?

If they are paying customers and you supply all the links to all of the downloads does this mean they are purchasing them all? Won't they then have access to everything? I suppose this depends on what you are selling if it is all one package or not? You might consider protecting the directory of your downloads and make a page for each individual download and supply the purchasers with a password to enter that password protected area of your site. Of course if these downloads are free there is no need for any of this. I guess we will need a little more clarification on your end in regards to this question.

6. And how do I create the links to the downloads?

This will depend on the type of download, what is the file format??

7. I have lot of downloadable products. Is there some kind of limit in how much can be put in the web page to be downloaded?

Depends entirely on what the content is, whether a music file, image, pdf document? More information is needed here.

I am a total beginner with this, so please be patient with me if my questions sound funny.. ;)

Your questions are not funny, and there are plenty of patients and patience here in VodaLand, and for the most part you will run across a Doctor, lol ...

Hopefully my english is good enough for you to understand the questions...

Your english is fine, you've done well ...

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me!

Kia
      Welcome & Good Luck!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Kiia
        Corporal

• Feb 2007

Hi,

Thank you very much for the answer!

About the downloads. They are in zip format, plus pdf, jpeg, gif, flash. They are software, ebooks, photos, and templates.

The customer who pays, would pay for the entire collection. So he has access to all of them after payment. I have planned to use paypal buy now -button, which seems to be easy enough for me to add to the html code, and is the right option since I only have one item, this whole collection. So after the customer has gone to paypal to make the payment, he should be automatically redirected back to the web page which includes links to each of the products in the collection. (And this webpage is the one which does not show up perfectly in preview.) So all the downloads are in one webpage.

Ofcourse the customer has to be able to return to this webpage too, at later point, because I will add there more products, and in general he has to have later access there too. I am not sure how to do this; should I only have a unique subpage name for this download-page, which the customer can use to return to the page, or should I have password/user webpage? This gets complicated.. I really would like to get started with this with as simple steps as possible, and fast too..

There has to be some script to do the download page, or? Is it found in bluevoda? Or do I need to buy it from somewhere? I should have step-by-step guiding in doing putting together that download page.. I am sure it's not so difficult, but I don't understand anything about this...

About the previewing problem. It only exists with this download page (which now has only lot of text, a list of the downloads and a few photos) Now I did the page all over again, only copied the text from the orginal page to a new page, but choosed new shape under the text, on top of the back ground (navy coloured). Then I previewed it. Now there was some enhancement. The shape's frames (which I put as blue) were shown (as black though), BUT the shape (white) was still missing. There was only red letter "x" shown in the top left corner. So the page was still navy-coloured as it only had the back ground without the shape (but the frames of the shape were shown, as black) . Last time I did this, there was nothing at all shown from the shape, not even its frames. I don't understand why the shape keeps missing from the preview. And it ONLY happens with this particular page. As if there was some "bug" travelling along with the original copied text which comes from the original page, and makes the new shape not shown in the new page...

I have thought that maybe I should forget the whole shape from this page and directly put the text on top of the back ground (ofcourse the background should be white then, not navy..), although it looks stubid, but...

Comment

• davidundalicia
          General

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kiia
          Hi,
          The customer who pays, would pay for the entire collection. So he has access to all of them after payment. I have planned to use paypal buy now -button, which seems to be easy enough for me to add to the html code, and is the right option since I only have one item, this whole collection. So after the customer has gone to paypal to make the payment, he should be automatically redirected back to the web page which includes links to each of the products in the collection. (And this webpage is the one which does not show up perfectly in preview.) So all the downloads are in one webpage.

Ofcourse the customer has to be able to return to this webpage too, at later point, because I will add there more products, and in general he has to have later access there too. I am not sure how to do this; should I only have a unique subpage name for this download-page, which the customer can use to return to the page, or should I have password/user webpage? This gets complicated.. I really would like to get started with this with as simple steps as possible, and fast too..
          A fast, free and easy way to achive this is as follows:

1).. have a Paypal button on your sales page/s (button can be duplicated on more than 1 page)

2)..have paypal return your clients to a folder/page which has no other links to it. This hidden page will then contain the download links.
          This page and other linked pages should also have a metatag with "noindex,nofollow" which basically tells the bots not to index these pages and not to follow any links on those pages.

3).. view the free tutorials on how to make your download pages secure(under video tutorials).

or you could pay someone to provide a script for you......................
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
          Newbies / Beginners Forum
          FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
          My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
          Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• Kiia
            Corporal

• Feb 2007

Thanks for the info!

This works when the customer has just made the payment and then is automatically returned to the downloads site, right?

How about when he has to get there at a later point, when ever he wants, to go to see if there's new products added, or download more, maybe he won't download all the products at once after the payment (there will be LOT of products to download, he pays for the whole collection, one-time fee).
            Can he for example bookmark that page to return to it later? Or how that page is made accessable at any later point?

But how do I add my downloadable items to that page, so that they are there, when the customer goes there, clicks the links and wants to download. (zip format, plus pdf, jpeg, gif, flash - software, ebooks, photos, and templates etc..)

Is this a difficult process, to get some download page script, to add it to my webpage's html code, and to add the products there too?

I'd need step-by-step instructions in how to do it.

I do not even know how to add it, to WHERE in the html code of the whole page..?

Regards,
            Kia

Comment

Working...
            X