• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malhoeira
    Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Help please!

I've sorted out most of the gremlins on my new site but can't figure this one out:

On the Association page on www.british-cemetery-elvas.org you can click on here to link to /application.html

Half way down that page is another here that is supposed to link to a printable page /application.pdf

I can't get it to work. The two pdf links just above work.
    Is one limited to two pdfs on a page?
    Should I name it something else? Does it conflict with /application.html?

When I point to the other two pdf links [or application.html on the other page] I can see the html:// link at the bottom of the browser.

When I point to the pdf here [on the application page] it says Done.
    That tells me the link doesn't wash but I've reloaded + republished to no avail. What now?

A big thank you to anyone who can solve this mystery for me! Oops, I think this was supposed to be posted in a different forum. Sorry!
    Sarah
    british-cemetery-elvas.org
  • racefan20
    Major General

• Jul 2005

Re: Help please!

It works fine, it just loads slowly.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

• Malhoeira
      Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thanks! That's encouraging.

Any idea why it says Done when I point to it whereas the other two show the url?

I still can't bring it up, even slowly.
      Sarah

Comment

• Dream Lady
        Major General

• Feb 2006

Malhoeira: When I clicked on your Association page, that loaded very slowly and once done, I had to refresh to actually see the pictures. Those two pictures must be very large and you may want to optimize them so they are so slow to load.

When I clicked on your HERE link to go to the application, that came up very fast and so did the pdf version. The actual forms loaded fast for me with no problem.
        Cindy Smentowski

Comment

• Malhoeira
          Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thank you Dream Lady for confirming what I figured must be my problem: the images. I'm having one problem after another with my photos and I'd appreciate your comments:
          1] Two photos weren't visible [though I could see them online] because the Portuguese name has an accent. So I renamed all the photos with one English word - and immediately the site's Google postion plummeted. My question: does Google look at the Filename or the Alt Text?
          2] Then I upgraded to BV9 and all the images renamed themselves and some disappeared. I can't republish anything until I can sort them out.
          3] All the images were resized to small via MS's ImageResizerPowertoy, which works well for dropping a photo into an email. I'm hesitant about downloading another resizer and thought I could optimize them with Photoshop.
          4] On photoshop [image>resize>image size] what pixel dimensions should I aim for? Resample image: bicubic or bilinear? Is that it?
          5] A friend resized a photo for me to show me an example. He labeled it 20% but it's 104 KB and mine was only 48.4 KB. Or am I missing something?

If you can walk me through optimizing my images, I would be very grateful.
          Thank you very, very much. I was just about to get desperate.
          Sarah

Comment

• LadyEye
            General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Malhoeira
            Thank you Dream Lady for confirming what I figured must be my problem: the images. I'm having one problem after another with my photos and I'd appreciate your comments:

Cindy is gone vacationing on a boat house this week, lucky girl!
            1] Two photos weren't visible [though I could see them online] because the Portuguese name has an accent. So I renamed all the photos with one English word - and immediately the site's Google postion plummeted. My question: does Google look at the Filename or the Alt Text?
            2] Then I upgraded to BV9 and all the images renamed themselves and some disappeared. I can't republish anything until I can sort them out.
            3] All the images were resized to small via MS's ImageResizerPowertoy, which works well for dropping a photo into an email. I'm hesitant about downloading another resizer and thought I could optimize them with Photoshop. You can, but watch your sizes as you don't want a delay in page opening with photos too large in kbs
            4] On photoshop [image>resize>image size] what pixel dimensions should I aim for? Resample image: bicubic or bilinear? Is that it?

300 x 400 around that size is good for about three or four photos on your page ...
            5] A friend resized a photo for me to show me an example. He labeled it 20% but it's 104 KB and mine was only 48.4 KB. Or am I missing something? Your's is the smaller in kbs, if you can, reduce it further too, not sure where you and he differ.

If you can walk me through optimizing my images, I would be very grateful.
            Thank you very, very much. I was just about to get desperate.
            A very useful on-line image optimizer can be found here

It is useful because you just upload your picture and you get about 7 results showing you the kb reduction along with the quality you can use, then you choose.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Malhoeira
              Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thanks Lady Eye. I'll try the online optimizer.

How do you get your photos to change as the viewer ******* on www.ladyeye.net?
              Is that an off-the-shelf effect or did you write the code?
              Does one still write code?
              Sarah

Comment

• Andy128
                Major General

• Dec 2005

That would be the ad banner rotator in the tools down by the navigation bar tool. Just make sure to re-size photos down small for load times.

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

• Malhoeira
                  Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thanks Andy. Didn't see your reply until now.

Is there some way to be notified when someone's added to one's thread?
                  I clicked on what I thought was an email notification option but haven't been notified yet.
                  Sarah

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Andy would be right, I have had much success with photos sized at 400 x 300 and in some cases 500 x 450 or something there, so that size works well.

I suspect you have added the notification about emails correctly and should kick in ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Malhoeira
                      Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

I resized my photos online - you were right, the variety of options is very handy. BUT the photos generally stayed the same dimensions. Just the Kbs varied. So how/why do you focus [ha!] on 400x300 or 500x450. I've been concentrating on the Kbs.

Andy said to use the ad banner rotator for the effect you have on your home page. I clicked on that icon and loaded one photo. Now what? I tried clicking on it again, thinking something wondrous would happen but just got another image-box. Do you remember when you were this clueless? I did manage to figure out the email notification.

And one last question, in another thread you said something about keeping your thank-yous from being SEOd. I posted a thread two days ago about the questions I've asked on this forum lining up beind my url on Google. My question has disappeared from the forum and so have my questions on Google. How can I stear this myself in the future?

Thank you!
                      Sarah

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Malhoeira
                        I resized my photos online - you were right, the variety of options is very handy. BUT the photos generally stayed the same dimensions. Just the Kbs varied. So how/why do you focus [ha!] on 400x300 or 500x450. I've been concentrating on the Kbs.

You've done things right, the kbs are really important, I should say that it really depends on the physical size that you want your pics, I didn't want you thinking you needed to use a small physically sized photo, depended on the physical size of your photo you can again cut back on the kbs by now using pix resizer for your dimensions. It's up to you ... the size of my photos are 300 x 225, I've used larger elsewhere, it all depends on you. So, you can decide from there, and kbs are important.

Andy said to use the ad banner rotator for the effect you have on your home page. I clicked on that icon and loaded one photo. Now what? I tried clicking on it again, thinking something wondrous would happen but just got another image-box. Do you remember when you were this clueless? I did manage to figure out the email notification.

Again, you are doing things correctly with the ad banner rotator, you need to add it and you need to click add again, browse for the next photo, click add and okay, there is like an extra step with the rotator, but I am sure you will see where ...

great work on the email notification, everything new is always "daunting" just keep thinking you'll know all of the ropes soon and be most helpful to newcomers like yourself, we're not clueless, lol ... it's new and exciting and of course we want things done now, right? lol

And one last question, in another thread you said something about keeping your thank-yous from being SEOd. I posted a thread two days ago about the questions I've asked on this forum lining up beind my url on Google. My question has disappeared from the forum and so have my questions on Google. How can I stear this myself in the future?

Thank you!
                        Well any page that you publish to public_html directory, your public directory, open to the world, can be found. Even if you do not apply a link to it anywhere. It's hard to password protect a thank you page, did you have something on this page? Am I remembering that you wanted to put the code to download something there? If so, you might be better off sending out personal emails to those who have made purchases, or I am sure Naval Design might have something further for you here ... He would be an excellent person to ask about this.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Malhoeira
                          Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

I was referring to questions I've asked on the BV forum, not to my webpages. My questions showed up just below my url on the first page that came up when you googled british cemetery elvas. Now they're gone, along with my forum question about how to keep forum questions from being googled.

It looked silly to have Official website of... and then just below Help please!

Thanks for you help,
                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                          X