linking questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linking questions

My domain is www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com it is carried by GoDaddy.com.

My problem like many is that my index page is published, however my linked pages are not. I've had my website thru VodaHost for a year now. When the servers changed is when I started having this problem. I have update my account with GoDaddy to forward to the new server.

I have tried republishing my Gallery link. They are saved and published as follows: portfolio.bvp and http://www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com/portfolio.html

However when you pull up my website on the internet and view the properties of my Gallery link, it shows the old server information.

It's as if it is not recognizing the new data that I've entered for the hyperlink.

Please help.

Toby

Re: pages not linked, 404 error code, 1 year old website

Hi, I may have picked this up wrong, but you only publish as “portfolio” with no extension. IE:No .bvp or .html. BV will automatically do this.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Re: linking questions

Thank you for the quick response. I went ahead and tried that, but it didn't seem to work either.

Any other suggestions?

Toby Roberson

Comment

Are you having problems publishing? or are you able to publish but just cannot find your pages?

Check your ip address and be certain you are publishing to the correct ip, and if indeed you have had a server change, you will need to download the latest version of the blue voda web builder, found under NEWS and publish to that ip ...

You do not appear to have any links on your main domain page ...

So, I guess we need to sort if you are unable to publish or just unable to configure your links ....

let us know ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I'm not sure where the problem lies. I have already downloaded the 9.1 version of bluevoda. I had all of my pages up and published and linked for a year. After the server change nothing has been right since then.

So I don't know how to determine if it is a publishing problem or configuring my link.

I have chosen "Gallery" on my main page. Chose hyperlink icon, entered www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com/portfolio (i've tried w/ and w/o .html) I save the index page and publish.

I open my portfolio file, and publish that page. I get Successful publish on both pages.

I only know how to follow steps, so I have no technical knowledge, but it is if the linked pages are not recognizing the new IP address. Did I need to change the server somewhere on those pages? I am choosing the correct server when I publish. I have check and rechecked.

Comment

Hi, if it says you have published your page. Go into c panel and find the file & click on it. you will now see the url of what it has been published as, to the left hand side of this c panel area. Click on the dark blue url & see what page comes up. If no page comes up? post the url back here that you found for that file.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Well, I have 2 different portfolio files. Neither of them work, both say page not found: error code 404

One is http://www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com/portfolio.html
              the other is http://www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com/PORTFOLIO.html

But I tried to look at my index page the same way and it gets the same error code, however it is the only page that is coming up on IE.

I don't know enough about the Cpanel or file manager to know if I'm doing it right.

Comment

i think the problem goes a little deeper. I have done some editing to my index page. I removed a photo and added a slideshow. I saved and published, but my index page is still the old page.

I'm getting frustrated.

I've also submitted a trouble ticket.

Toby

Comment

Hi Toby

I am not sure what you are doing and what may be your old page and what may be your new page. But what I see when I go to your url is a page with the attached picture on it and colors of blue and black.

I also see

Services
                  Gallery
                  About the Artist
                  Testimonials
                  Contact Us & Affiliates

I assume you are publishing to ip 75.126.124.162

Now you said your old page, the index page worked and all the links ... none of the links work on this page ... so if this is not the new page, then it is the old index page and your links do not work ... the pages are not linked from your index page ...

This is what you need to do

In each of the cases for each of the pages that you have named above
                  you need to name, save and publish by their name. All small letters and just the name itself - nothing else

I am not finding any other pages that you have made or linked to ... ???

Example - Name the page services, save the page as services and publish the page as services ... link to the services page from the index page by highlighting the word services, go to insert link and type in http://www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com/services.html

And you do this for everyone of the links on your index page, and also wherever else you may be linking from ... and of course, you would need to republish these pages after you make changes ...

So is this http://www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com your new page or your old page and what do you see when you go to that page? Do you see links working? Do you see the attached picture?
                  Attached Files

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Wow, thank you for the very detailed instructions. However, that is exactly what I am doing. I created my website 1 year ago. And up until the IP addy change, my links were fully functional. I was self taught on BlueVoda and utilized the tutorial videos and this forum. I have always been able to figure these problems out.

The page that you see as my index page is how my website has looked for the last year. Yesterday, I tried to change that photo on the front to a slideshow. I published the page and checked it out on IE and found that the index page with the photo on it was still the one showing up.

I'm thinking there is something going on in my file manager, but I'm not experienced enough in cpanel or file manager to feel comfortable moving things around.

Right now I'm just trying to get my Gallery page up. I figure once I can get this page up and running properly then the rest will follow suit. I don't see spending the time to relink and republish all of the pages if I can't get the first one to work. Unless you think that is part of the problem. Some pages are publised to the old IP and some to the new IP.

I wish someone could talk me through this by phone. I know there is something I'm missing, but I have the steps to link and publish down.

Comment

Also in addition to the message above. I went ahead and reset all of the links on my index page and published all of the additional pages to the new IP address.

if you see my website: www.enchantingmakeupconcepts.com and click any of the links, the only thing you get is an error page and on that error page, it refers has the following message:

Please try the following:

HTTP 404 - File not found
                      Internet Explorer

It refers to my old IP address, why would it do that when I published it to 75.126.124.162?

Comment

The services page is now working

So you must be publishing some of the other pages incorrectly somehow along the way ... or applying the ip number to the link url of some pages, that is what I am seeing ... or something is sticking, lol ...

I would start fresh, publish all pages to the brand new ip address ... doesn't make sense that your links would change just because you received a new ip publishing address.

And download and install this new version of blue voda today http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...ion-9-1-a.html
                        If you did it before, do it again anyway ... okay ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hopefully when you download and install the new version again it will straighten things out ...

if not and you are doing everything correctly, you likely will need the help of the support desk ... hang tight, things should work out ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

it was a combination of things, but I finally got it all working.

Thank you for your patience and diligence.

Toby

Comment

Toby

that's great to hear, good luck as you finish up your pages so all links work ... your changes by the way look awesome ... nice job!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X