Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Subdirectories on My Site

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me if it is possible to use subdirectories to store files with BlueVoda? For example, say I have my main site under "public_html". When I publish my pages using BlueVoda it dumps everything into the base directory of "public_html".

I would like to be able to keep things organized a bit more thna this by having a directory under "public_html" called "images" where all my gifs and jpgs would be stored, and a directory called "articles" where my content pages would be stored. Is this possible with BlueVoda?

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Using Subdirectories on My Site

yes this is possible, you can create new folders within your public_html directory ... where these can be stored ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveS
      Hello,
      I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me if it is possible to use subdirectories to store files with BlueVoda? For example, say I have my main site under "public_html". When I publish my pages using BlueVoda it dumps everything into the base directory of "public_html".

I would like to be able to keep things organized a bit more thna this by having a directory under "public_html" called "images" where all my gifs and jpgs would be stored, and a directory called "articles" where my content pages would be stored. Is this possible with BlueVoda?

Thanks,
      Dave
      Please note the the folders (directories) must be first created using either FTP (BlueVoda's BlueFTP will do this work very well) or File Manager in your CP. After that you can publish in this folder, by typing in the Publish dialog box, in the Folder field:

public_html/foldername
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Okay, I got you on creating the directories and such. That is no problem and easy to do. But, would I then have to go in and manually edit the html code created by BlueVoda to look in these directories for the objects? I am not seeing any way to have BlueVoda look for objects in a subdirectory during the design phase. It just seems to want to put and get everything from the same directory the page is published to.

Example: I create my home page, call it index. On my page I have a picture of me called "me.jpg". When I use BlueVoda to publish my page it puts the "index.html" file and the "me.jpg" all in the same directory I publish the page to.

What I want to do is to have BlueVoda put the image "me.jpg" into a subdirectory called "images" and then look in that directory for the image when the page is called. Only way I can see to do this is to manually create the "images" directory, put "me.jpg" in it and then manually edit "index.html" so it will look in "images" for "me.jpg". Is there another way?

Thanks so much,
        Dave

Comment

But, would I then have to go in and manually edit the html code created by BlueVoda to look in these directories for the objects? I am not seeing any way to have BlueVoda look for objects in a subdirectory during the design phase. It just seems to want to put and get everything from the same directory the page is published to.
          BV will absolutely allow you to place elements (images, files, etc) in subfolders. You only need to link it properly. To do so, in the URL field of the file or page or image you are linking to, just make it

http://www.yourdomain.com/foldername/pagename.html instead of http://www.yourdomain.com/pagename.html

Example: I create my home page, call it index. On my page I have a picture of me called "me.jpg". When I use BlueVoda to publish my page it puts the "index.html" file and the "me.jpg" all in the same directory I publish the page to.

What I want to do is to have BlueVoda put the image "me.jpg" into a subdirectory called "images" and then look in that directory for the image when the page is called. Only way I can see to do this is to manually create the "images" directory, put "me.jpg" in it and then manually edit "index.html" so it will look in "images" for "me.jpg". Is there another way?
          Yes, and a very simple one: you give the image URL as http://www.yourdomain.com/images/me.jpg

Please note, however, that this way, you have two consequenses:
          1. The image has to be separately, manually, uploaded in the images directory.
          2. The image will NOT appear in your page in BV, it will only appear in preview (if you have already uploaded it) and then, after publishing. I prepare this way the pages in html for html emails, where the picture location needs to be an absolute URL. I first place the image in the the page, so i can see what i am doing, then, before publishing, i upload all the images using FTP, then i change the pics path from local (simply "c:/documents/.../me.jpg" to absolute URLS: http://www.yourdomain.com/images/me.jpg
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Gotcha!! Never thought of doing it that way. That will work just fine for me, and a lot eaiser than going back and manually editing the html.

Thanks!!!
            Dave

Comment

You are very welcome!
              Navaldesign

Comment

Kind of on the same subject:

I have a gallery sub-folder in my public_html folder. I publish my entire gallery page here, along with the pictures. Is there any way to have bv remember which directory it is supposed to publish an individual page to automatically?

ie: when I publish my index page, it knows that I want it in public_html, because I told it before. When I publish my gallery, it knows automatically to publish it in public_html/gallery.

I keep forgetting to change the directory when I publish different pages, and accidentally send the pages to the wrong directories.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X