• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Measha06
    Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Rebuilding a site prior to publication due to change of hosting

I have been advised by Vodahost to rebuild site in entirety before publishing so site down time is at a minimal amount. But I find I have several issues of confusion:-
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">I cannot publish until I have an account (I assume)– but when I do publish if using links will this not go to original site (whilst it is live) as URL's are being kept the same for SEO purposes?? <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">In your forms tutorial 1 you are told to put a piece of coding in one place if you watch the video and the same piece of coding in another place if you read the written instructions, presumably they cant both be correct so for now can you not tell me which one is correct video or written?? <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">I have also asked what you are you expected to change the third bit of blue coding for? (Values submitted from web site form )
    • I also asked does this information get emailed to you or does it create a database?
    These questions have been asked of Vodahost by ticket and Hank has asked that I ask them on the forum

Regards

Liz
  • Measha06
    Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Re: Rebuilding a site prior to publication due to change of hosting

Dont know where coding came from but it appeared when I clicked submit, sorry

Comment

• navaldesign
      General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by Measha06 View Post
      I have been advised by Vodahost to rebuild site in entirety before publishing so site down time is at a minimal amount. But I find I have several issues of confusion:-
      • <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">I cannot publish until I have an account (I assume)– but when I do publish if using links will this not go to original site (whilst it is live) as URL's are being kept the same for SEO purposes?? <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">In your forms tutorial 1 you are told to put a piece of coding in one place if you watch the video and the same piece of coding in another place if you read the written instructions, presumably they cant both be correct so for now can you not tell me which one is correct video or written?? <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">I have also asked what you are you expected to change the third bit of blue coding for? (Values submitted from web site form )
      • I also asked does this information get emailed to you or does it create a database?
      These questions have been asked of Vodahost by ticket and Hank has asked that I ask them on the forum

Regards

Liz
      1. To avoid links going to the original site, use relative links (that is, "about_us.html" instead of http://www.yoursite.com/about_us.html

2. It is NOT important if you paste the php code in the Start of Page, Between head or anywhere else. It will work the same. I prefer Start of page.

3. You can change it, i.e "There has been a new submission from our webform" or whatever you like. You can also leave it as it is. This is only the text that will preceed the values submitted.

4. The info gets emailed to you. To have it also stored in the database, use Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor instead of the standard processing script. Look at the link i gave you for ABVFP download.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Measha06
        Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Thanks I'll look at that

regards
        Liz

Comment

• Measha06
          Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Thinking about it - wont relative links then affect the SEO's because they are no longer the same URL?

regards

Liz

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

They ARE the same URL. URLs without the http://www.yourdomain.com infront, are interpreted by SE as links within the same domain
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Measha06
              Master Sergeant

• Jun 2007

Sorry not following you. Each of my pages have been indexed and listed in se's most with a high ranking for spe******t keyword searches. The re-build is being built with the same page names so as to not upset the flow and make all the hard work I've done in optimisation null unvoid. So most pages go along the line of www.naturesnaturalbeauty.com/skinandbeautycare for example. So in BV obviously I have named the rebuild page of this skinandbeautycare.
              So I do not understand what you are suggesting I do?

It is also interesting to be told that I should be able to totally rebuild from the HTML code for the existing pages including the background as it exists rather than rebuilding each element and putting them all together. Do you have any experience of this?

regards

Liz

Comment

• Bethers
                Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

IF you publish the site - and they both have the same domain name - ONLY the site that the domain is pointed to will be seen. After the 2nd site is finished - you will move the domain to point to it - and voila - no problem - and no reason to need to use relative links either.

For example, I build Pinata Palace in it's entirely while it was still hosted elsewhere. I published all the page. But no one (including myself) could see them because the domain name was pointed to the original host. When it was complete - I moved the domain to VH - and voila - all the new pages showed. I then went back and cancelled the old account.

Liz, you are mixing *****s and oranges. And the se's can't see both sets of pages - only the ones that are "live".
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

What i was saying instead, is that a SE that sees a page "about_us.html" wil index it as http://www.yourdomain.com/about_us.html so it will NOT affect your rankings.

To test, just create a link in one of your pages to another page, using a relative link ( just "about_us.html" When you click on this link, you will see that your browser will have, in the address bar, " http://www.yourdomain.com/about_us.html " even though you used a relative link. The same goes for SEs. As long as they are moving inside your site, the links will be ok. (as if they were the full links)
                  Navaldesign

Comment

• Bethers
                    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Naval,
                    I wasn't disagreeing with you - I just knew exactly what Liz was talking about - as she's from my other forum :) You are entirely right about the relative links. She was concerned that these pages would cause trouble - but these pages can't even be seen - since the nameservers aren't pointed here yet - even if she publishes.
                    Beth
                    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Hi Beth,

i didn't even think that you disagreed. I was just saying that even if Liz leaves the links as relative EVEN AFTER THE SITE GOES PUBLIC, it will be ok the same. However, liz can create the whole site with relative links, so she can test it, and then at the last moment, before going public, replace the relative links with absolute ones . Might be a lot of work though, depending on the number of pages and links.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                      X