• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freddy971
    Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Need help

I want to put a link on an existing page i have, can be very simple text line or whatever, so a person clicking on can go to a second password protected page to retrieve a file in a password protected folder other than the folder that this address resides in.
    The page will exist in my 'asimplelife' folder and the file is in 'video'

Dave Van De Cappelle
    www.aSimpleLife.ca
    www.TheAlternativeSolution.ca
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: Need help

And what is the question ?
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• freddy971
      Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

how do I direct a link in page in my'asimplelife folder to open a protected page in my 'video' file, a completely different folder?
      Dave Van De Cappelle
      www.aSimpleLife.ca

Comment

• freddy971
        Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

and the video file is protected via password

what I am trying to do is as follows=

I have a 1.3 gig file to get to a customer.
        I was going to put it in my 'video" file
        'video' file is password protected.
        I would give customer passwords so he can download this file
        this file is copyrighted. I shoot the footage, gave the customer the copyright.
        Shortly after he has confirmed to me he has the file, the page he downloads fro, the file and 'video' are gone

I have no idea how to do this so as he is the only one who can get this
        Dave Van De Cappelle
        www.aSimpleLife.ca

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Not sure what your question is. As i wrote in your other thread, create a password protected folder. Upload the file in it. Give your customer the username and the password, and the direct link to the file. He will simply type in his browser www.yourdomain.com/passfolder/filename.xxx and he will download the file.

Alternatively, you can create, in your Control Panel, a FTP account limited to that folder only. Give your client username and password for this FTP account, and have him download the file by FTP (if he knows how to use FTP)
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• freddy971
            Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

I am lost here now.

where do I create my 'video' folder?
            choices are on the page(?) i see when i first click file manager in CP?
            or in 'asimplelife', which is a folder within my 'public' folder?

If i create it in 'asimplelife', how do i password protect it?
            Dave Van De Cappelle
            www.aSimpleLife.ca

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Cnnect to your CP. Click on the public_html folder icon. When the new screen appears, click on Create new Folder. Type the folder name, whatever you want it to be. The folder is created. let's suppose that you name it "passvideo"

No go back in your CP first page. Click on Password Protect Directories . A new screen will come up, with the content of your public. Your newly created "passvideo" folder will appear amomg other things. Click on the folder name.
              in the next screen, check the checkbox (top left side), fill in a username and password and click on Add User. That's all.

the above instructions are correct if you want to create the folder in your public_html. If you want it to be inside "asimplelife" there is one more step to follow during the folder creation. However, for your purposes, i don't see why it should be inside "asimplelife".
              Navaldesign

Comment

• freddy971
                Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Ok, I have created a folder "video" in public.html I will put the file he needs in there.

From post above, address for them to retrieve this file would be www.?????.com/passfolder/filename

where ????? = I have no idea which site to send him to more below
                passfolder ? is this non ststic ie this word specific? if not what does he use?
                filename= got that down alright

Now my ????? could be dnsvideo.ca or asimplelife.ca or videobiography.ca. With that passfolder in there, does it matter where i send him?
                Dave Van De Cappelle
                www.aSimpleLife.ca

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

????? is your own site, where you want to upload the file.
                  passfolder was an example, since you have named the folder "video", replace "passfolder" with "video".

Since "video" is in public.html, and videobiography.ca is the main domain, the link should be http://www.videobiography.ca/video/filename.???

Click on http://www.videobiography.ca/video/ to see your folder. You have not protected it yet.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

• freddy971
                    Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

I have been trying to get this to work to no avail

I created the folder 'video' in 'public.html', tried everything(several different settings) to password protect it.

Enter the address in my browser, and I get a sign in window. I enter the user name I put on file and the password I entered and it just brings up an another sign in screen. I am uploading the file as I type this. I leave for camping in 12 hours. file may be up there by then. But how does he get it?

I clicked the little box at top of protect folder screen for a lock. set user 'A' up with password "abc" I unlocked the little box next time through still to no avail. I have deleted and added this same user several time, still not able to get in.
                    I used the same "A" and "abc" every time
                    what am I doing wrong?
                    Dave Van De Cappelle
                    www.aSimpleLife.ca

Comment

• freddy971
                      Second Lieutenant

• Sep 2006

Ok, I got it working, thanks a ton
                      Dave