Newbie silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie silly question

I have sat at the computer watching tutorial after tutorial and I am lost.
    I have made several pages with BV and they are saved on my computer as BV files.

I have only made 2 pages, the main(index) page and the second page.

I just want to get it up and publish and i thought after reading the ftp info that I upload the files from there, but it said that that was just for pic files and so on.

I hate to ask silly questions, but I am absolutly lost as what to do next.
    The files are on my computer and I would like them published and I don't know the next step. Do I go to the controll panel?

Sorry, have been reading and watching and still lost.

I guess I need a step by step of ....after you make the page then what tutorial...
    Thank you
    Traci

Re: Newbie/frustrated/silly question

You have to right click on your work page..click properties and name your page, ( in low case letters.) Then click on left upper right of your working page "save as" with your page's same name. Then click on publish...as in tutorial.
    If your publish button isn't filled in yet...get the info from your
    voda host welcome instructions which you would have saved when you joined. It has your master userame and password on it.
    Good luck
    Pat

Comment

Thank you for responding.
      I did just that and filled in the information. THen got an error message saying that the information (password) is incorrect. I am useing what was sent to me. Any ideas?
      thanks in advance

Comment

Start by submitting a ticket to Customer Support asking for a password reset.
        Bless you
        Tom

Comment

A couple of things come to mind for you to check.
          1. Do you have the latest version of bluevoda with all the current IP addresses.
          2. You you click on publish and the publish box comes up, are you opening the IP address dropdown menu and selecting the correct ip address that was given to you in your welcome email.
          3. Make sure you are typing your userid and password EXACTLY, as they are case sensitive.
          If none of that works, then I would submit a support ticket.
          Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Dream Lady...

Thank you so much, It was the IP that was not correct.
            PHEW! Now to see if I can make a decent website, LOL.
            www.longview-gift.com
            Another silly question...
            I published it, and I see it, but is that because I have it in cookies?
            Do I need to upload all my pictures;logo and what not?
            THANKS!
            Traci

Comment

Congratulations!!! Yes, I see it....you are officially on the World Wide Web!! And what a great start you have there! I love your colors. Have fun building!!! Your pictures, logos, etc are there. When you build your pages and include those and publish, they publish right along with everything else! Great going!!
              Cindy Smentowski

Comment

So, if I build my page on BV at my desktop, all I do is hit publish like I did? What is the reason behind the controll panel and ftp for uploading files and what not? I know it is another dumb question, but that is one thing I don't quite get.
                Thanks
                Traci

Comment

Re: Newbie silly question

Hello;
                  That's what is so great about BV. You have your pictures and video in a file and you keep them in that file folder. You build your page and you publish the page. Since no one is saving the files for you, I have used a flash and keep all my pages backed up as I am making them. I save them to BV and then also save the same information on my flash. That way, you will never have to find anything if something happens to your computor.
                  I agree - I like your background and colors - good luck and why worry about ftp if you don't need it. It's about time this web building became easier.Now if BV could get the right code for Pay Pal buttons it would be a perfect world.
                  Mrmagoo144
                  mrmagoo144
                  www.videopostcards.info

Comment

If you have reviewed the tutorials for the control panel, you will see that there is a lot in there for your use. For starters, that is where you set up email accounts. With Vodahost, you can set up unlimited email accounts. Then there's the awstats, where you can view information about who is accessing your pages and when. Then if you want a password protected page, you would set that up in your cpanel. Also if you add any other domains to your hosting account, that is where you would do it. Take a look at Fantastico (the blue smiley face) in your control panel. There are a bunch of free programs you can use, like blogs, calendars, etc. If you don't need any of that, then you probably don't need to go there.

As far as the bluevoda ftp (tools, ftp manager)...you can use that to upload videos or pdf files that you want to link to. Again, there are tutorials on those as well.

But as Mr. Magoo states, the nice thing about bluevoda, is that in order to build a site and have a web presence, all you really need to do is publish. As you get more familiar with the features of BlueVoda and Vodahost, a whole new world opens up. But in the meantime, have fun building and publishing!!
                    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

I have an even sillier question. How the heck do you cut and paste text into BV? I try and try and all I get is the margarine keeps moving and not allowing me to do anything. Did get it put in but it looked all weird like some of Ginsbergs poems in a short width wavy line of words....not the way I want it at all. I am very frustrated! BV definitly doesn't like me. lol! But seriously I am trying to make my landing page. Done a number of websites before so I should be able to handle BV but instead it is 'handling' me. This site isn't even at publishing stage; oh do I ever wish it was but my domain name is RDShultz.com
                      Ruth
                      Last edited by RDShultz; 08-26-2007, 09:50 PM. Reason: realized you might need domain name from me.

Comment

Hi RD,
                        Not sure what you have done to paste your text. Maybe you have done this already, maybe not. I assume you are copying from another program such as the internet, or Word, etc. Just highlight and copy the text. Then in BV insert a text box (Text button on HTML toolbar). Drag it to where you need it. Double click the text box and clear the default text. Press Ctrl+V or select Edit >> Paste.

If this is too obvious and you have done this already, then explain in more detail what your problem is and we will get you sorting it out. Enjoy.
                        Bless you
                        Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X