• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: SEO on drop down menu

Thanks, G.

It seems then, that for use in BV-created websites selecting drop-down scripts (or the like) available from 3rd parties that are not written in Java will be the only alternative.......as would using the duplicative "footer links" that are so messy.

Once again, the technology bubble forces a que for the enlightened to patiently wait in....

and on we go......
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign
      General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
      Thanks, G.

It seems then, that for use in BV-created websites selecting drop-down scripts (or the like) available from 3rd parties that are not written in Java will be the only alternative.......as would using the duplicative "footer links" that are so messy.

Once again, the technology bubble forces a que for the enlightened to patiently wait in....

and on we go......
      There are NOT (in my knowledge) dropdown menus that do NOT use Javascript, by any third parties.

You see, having a dropdown, means running, within your own browser, some software that makes this dynamic behaviour possible. And this is only possible with Java and Javascript.

Have a look here for the difference between Java and javascript: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/ja...le.php/3470971
      However, the SE part of it is NOT so important, as long as a systematic classic net of links is built to connect webpages together.

In example, you can have the main navbar using dropdowns, (that are SO MUCH functional) and have a secondary, bottom placed text menu to provide the necessary links between pages. In my opinion, this is not even required, if you have a good sitemap and a link to it from the index page. Once found the index page, SE crawlers will find the sitemap, and from there ALL pages.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
        In example, you can have the main navbar using dropdowns, (that are SO MUCH functional) and have a secondary, bottom placed text menu to provide the necessary links between pages. In my opinion, this is not even required, if you have a good sitemap and a link to it from the index page. Once found the index page, SE crawlers will find the sitemap, and from there ALL pages.
        LOL....Again, I agree totally, and we have come "full-circle"!! (As long as we are speaking of BV-created websites)

Thus, my original statement stands: optimization and the myopic focus so preached in VT is rather frivolous and unrewarding at best --- let the SE's do the the work for us, and likely they will do an optimal job even on their worst day!

LOLOL
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

In my opinion, this is a totally different issue. We were facing the issue of SE being able to find the pages, now we are talking about optimization.

At the present time, i believe that keywords, hi tags and other optimization procedures are VERY useful.

This is how i see it: a page full of text is like a number of words to a search engine eyes, humans are able to connect them and understand the significance. So, at least for now, i prefer to PERSONALLY select my keywords and i would prefer that SE use those instead of those automatically retrieved
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Bethers
            Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Naval,

I agree with you 100%. Only thing I'm going to mention - is when you talk about keywords - it's the use of them on the page, in links to the page, in the title that are important. I just don't want some noob here thinking it's the keyword meta tag that's important - and go spamming it like most are wont to do :)
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Beth, to be honest i had never considered optimization to be so important for me, as my customers usually come from this very forum and not from a free search that users perform on the net. There are just too many software companies out there, to hope to get in the first couple of pages in a Google search. Nevertheless, my site has reached Rank 3 in almost all main pages in just 6 months, and i consider it a good result.

However, i do start considering it, for my own customers sites. And, i am at the moment, creating dynamic (php) sites, which create the pages retrieving data from the database, and also creating automatically the necessary alt tags, h tags and titles in hyperlinks.
              Navaldesign

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                Major General

• Oct 2005

Quite interesting. LOL
                CarbonTerry
                Semper Fi
                Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                Zone 5 Photo
                My USMC

Comment

• Bethers
                  Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Naval,
                  It sounds quite interesting - how you are creating the pages dynamically. I've had that done a few times and always end up going and tweaking much. However, if you are doing the page creation and you're adding the information via the database, you won't have much tweaking most likely - as you'll be looking at what is going in the database to begin with :)

Usually when I see these, the people are using a database from a dropshipper, etc - and they don't change anything - so the pages end up being duplicate content to hundreds of others on the web - making them pretty useless.
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Karen Mac
                    General

• Apr 2006

Naval,

Actually you dont need to do extra for the php pages as long as they dont extend more than one parameter past the first ?. Its pretty much the same for html pages divided by the /folder/folder.. after the second one the SE starts penalizing by not reading those links or putting them in supplemental results for later spidering. So you could have, whateversite.com/whatever/page.php? and be ok, it would be the deeper links that would be the issue. So.. I follow the rule that the more you can make ONTOP or a top level page with out a sub page to be the most beneficial, and only SUB where i have to.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

This is correct. SE cannot folow links that are usually linked with the GET method (pagename.php?id=xxx) as Soho does, that's why html mirrors are created.
                      What i meant is that for each product (it is about a flea market) the product page is created automatically from the database. In the database, with each product, the page description is automatically created from the booth description (defined by the user) , the h1 tags already exist, and the image tags are created from the item name.
                      For each flea, the page keywords are retrieved from the database also (the site admin provides them when creating the booth). The site will soon be available for reviews. And a shopping cart made in BV with a database driven engine is soon to follow.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

• Karen Mac
                        General

• Apr 2006

Cool Beans Naval,

Ill help you test it. Are you allowing for SIM integration or will it have to be AIM integration for CC processors? AIM=SSL SIM=processed at processors site?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                          Major General

• Oct 2005

Vasili,
                          To answer your question from long ago...we were using a wireless connection from video feeds in the factory for observation of the midnight shift. Someone intercepted the signal and used it to send spam. It was an SE (I think) somewhere in Germany that blacklisted us. So far we are not to be found on any major search engine.
                          CarbonTerry
                          Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                          Zone 5 Photo
                          My USMC

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Hi terry,

i just Googled for " clamshell, blister, mock clamshell ".
                            Guess where masterpack.com is ?

However, searching for sigle keywords, does not give so encouraging results. You are in a very competitive job with thousands of companies and sites.
                            Navaldesign

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                              Major General

• Oct 2005

Thanks George.
                              I'll have to email my customer. i guess that is better than I thought. However, the main keyword is "clamshell"
                              That is progress though.
                              CarbonTerry
                              Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                              Zone 5 Photo
                              My USMC

Comment

Working...
                              X