• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dzfalcone
    Private

• Jul 2007

How can I make my site ADA compliant?

I want to learn how to make my site ADA compliant. For right now I would be happy if I could get the page to enlarge for the visually impaired the way it should. On Most sites if you "ctrl/roll mouse wheel", or "ctrl/+ or -" you can enlarge or reduce the page. My text enlarges, but the page doesn't change size, so everything overlaps and can't be read. Plus, the images don't move, and become mixed up with the overlapping text. Any ideas?

dzfalcone
    www.abcpa.org
  • Watdaflip
    Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: How can I make my site ADA compliant?

Due to the nature of how BV I don't think its possible to have the text show correctly when enlarged. Pretty much all elements of the page are cemented in where you place them.

Why are you trying to make it ADA compliant (other then technically you have to)

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• dzfalcone
      Private

• Jul 2007

I see my visually impaired father in law struggle to access pages on the web, and it is really difficult if the site is not compliant. It has heightened my awareness, I guess. Since I know it is possible, I want to do it. I just don't know how.

I also want people who might use my client's service to be able to access the site, not only in the interest of equal access, but in the interest of increasing her enrollment. THey can't enroll if they can't see it.

Comment

• Watdaflip
        Major General

• Sep 2005

Ah, ok just wondering.

The only thing I can think of to make it work out a little better is to space out your paragraphs more then you usually would, that way the text has room to expand.

If that doesn't work only thing else I can think of is to make a second version with large text formatted how you want it to be.

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi,

Out of necessity to make it easier for myself to work on large charts
          I ordered a 20" Dell entry level LCD display monitor [actual size edge to edge is 18.5"w x 12"h] which was on offer. Diagonal measurement is 20".

My screen setting is 1680 x 1050 pixels.

Every online page when viewed will be enlarged to fit the screen edge to edge [actual 17"L x 10.75"H] including this forum page without any distortion.

You can set the Internet Explorer font to the largest if you want for those
          with eyesight impairment to view large fonts.

With this screen you can view a 1200 pixel wide webpage with room to spare without scrolling from left to right. However you will still have to scroll up and down if the page is more than 10.75"H

To view a normal page you only have to minimize and adjust manually to the exact size of the webpage.

My suggestion is if you want something for the impaired, the solution is to buy the largest LCD computer monitor available maybe 24" so that they will only have to do minimal scrolling.

I am sure this suggestion will solve your problem as I do not see any other alternative.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Dzfalcone,

This ADA compliant is dangerous stuff. Everybody with a website should read it.

Here is a link for you to check out.

The World Wide Web Consortium Web Accessibility Initiative resources (http://www.w3.org/WAI/). This site includes dozens of online resources and how-to’s.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
            X