X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing my site

Hi,
    I've looked for this answer but can't find it. Unlike FrontPage where once you are in preview you can link around and see how the site works before publishing.

I notice that in BV you can only preview one page at a time and are not able to link to other pages. I can deal with this but I want to test my site before it is published to the internet.

How do I test my site? Right now I've made a form and thank you page that I will need to duplicate and i want to make sure it works correctly before going any further.

Would or could someone help me with this problem? Sure appreciate it.

Monica

Re: Can't find the answer to testing my site

Your observation is correct with the previewing. I friend just told me this week about an application, called Apache, that is used as a web server. You install this software on another cmputer. You can then publish your site on this server and test it before publishing to VH.

I have NOT used this software before, and I'm not sure if still available and also do not know how it works. Maybe there is someone that could help with this.
    Bless you
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by mona13080 View Post
      Hi,
      I've looked for this answer but can't find it. Unlike FrontPage where once you are in preview you can link around and see how the site works before publishing.

I notice that in BV you can only preview one page at a time and are not able to link to other pages. I can deal with this but I want to test my site before it is published to the internet.

How do I test my site? Right now I've made a form and thank you page that I will need to duplicate and i want to make sure it works correctly before going any further.

Would or could someone help me with this problem? Sure appreciate it.

Monica

Of course you can prewiew all the pages and links you made in the browser. You just make sure that every link to any other pages has the right url path. Then when you click prewiew in a browser probebly a yellow warning box will pop up under your menubar wher it says something about install a active-x control. Just klick ok to aloud it. Start then to browse your site. That`s it!
      I don`t speak English,i speak Swedish.If you don`t understand my English you can ask me.

Comment

Hi Supermax,

She fully understands how to preview. The problem she has, is that all pages must be uploaded before you can test the site links, etc. That is not what she wants. She wants something that she can use to test all her links and pages before publishing.

Mona, the software I specified might be difficult to use. Publishing and testeing will be your best optio to test all your links. After publishing, you can of course use the following link to test your site. It will also spell out the links that do not work. Click this link: http://www.sitereportcard.com/
        Bless you
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom vR View Post
          Hi Supermax,

She fully understands how to preview. The problem she has, is that all pages must be uploaded before you can test the site links, etc. That is not what she wants. She wants something that she can use to test all her links and pages before publishing.

Mona, the software I specified might be difficult to use. Publishing and testeing will be your best optio to test all your links. After publishing, you can of course use the following link to test your site. It will also spell out the links that do not work. Click this link: http://www.sitereportcard.com/
          Sorry for missunderstanding the whole thing!Ok thanks!
          I don`t speak English,i speak Swedish.If you don`t understand my English you can ask me.

Comment

Thanks guys !! I had one more thought that I was looking into. Can I password protect my site, or rather I know I can in my cpanel. If I publish, password protect just for myself, then I could test it with out it really going live to the world. Would this route work???? What do you think????

Monica

Comment

Simpler way to do all this.

Create an index page that says" Sorry. This site is under construction. Please check back later." and publish to your server.

Now- publish all the pages you wish to test. Then go to your site and you will see the Construction page. In the URL- add the page that you wish to see and test to the end of the URL and hit enter. Example:
              http: //www.mysite.com/firstpage.html

There it is in all it's glory for you to test. Links that you test that link back to the index page will obviously send you back to the Construction Index page.

No bots will cataloge any pages as there are no links on your Construction page.

Test away!!

Cheers

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

No problem Supermax.

Good one Andy.
                Bless you
                Tom

Comment

Andy,

Thank you very much. This is an easy way. Appreciate everyones input on this.

Monica

Comment

Working...
                  X