Understanding Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Images

While reading another post about transferring website files from one computer to another; a question came to my mind and maybe if someone could answer it.....it might help others understand the complexity of website file moving!

I often see, in the html code, image codes like this: bv01205.gif. Are these images created and stored on Voda Host's servers? So when we move our website files from one computer to another; those type images are still able to be found by the website files in the new computer??

Re: Understanding Images

Originally posted by judavvforum View Post
    While reading another post about transferring website files from one computer to another; a question came to my mind and maybe if someone could answer it.....it might help others understand the complexity of website file moving!

I often see, in the html code, image codes like this: bv01205.gif. Are these images created and stored on Voda Host's servers? So when we move our website files from one computer to another; those type images are still able to be found by the website files in the new computer??

Hi Dave

With the blue voda software you are using and any nav bar or shapes, you will find blue voda gives these a name as they are inserted onto your page. These will be the bvo1205.gif files that you see.

Once everything is published to your website, these images will always be able to be found on your website when viewing.

Now, since the blue voda software is a desktop operation, meaning files reside on your computer - if you go to a new computer you will not find these files on this new computer - but they will continue to be on your website.

In order to have the same files on your computer, you would need to copy, in one way or another - the exact files, nav bars and images to the same path on your new computer .. keeping in mind if you update one of your webpages on one computer, you must do the same to the other computer to have the pages the same.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

LadyEye,
      Thanks for the response. After reading your response I tried to find those "pesky little" bv*.gif files on my hard drive! They were not in the BlueVoda/Images folder; so, I did a search of the entire hard drive. None were found!

Sorry to beat this thing to death; but I really want to understand these bv*.gif files and how I need to take care of them!

I see them mentioned in the html code of each page and I see them stored on the "public" folder on the server. I have two that represent the (Title) and (Byline) at the top of each page. The rest that are stored on the server seem to be for the navigation links.

So, I'm assuming that if I move my BV files from one computer to another; that I don't have to be concerned about the bv*.gif files.

Right or wrong?

One thing that I have found out about them; is that if you have an image (ie., bv01205), on one page and you decide to copy it to another page; it creates another file (ie., bv01206). So the same element on two different will have two different ids! (ie., bv01205 & bv01206).

Comment

Each and every element or item on your web page needs to be referenced. Otherwise, how else would the computer be able to know that picture bv112357.gif needs to place on the web page in the upper right corner while bv32457.gif nees to go at the bottom of the page.

That is why each has its own unique identifier.

So, if you move your web page to another server and do not take all those pictures with it- when you open the page you will see a bunch of red "x"'s. Because the computer is interpreting the html code which says that bv112357.gif is supposed to be there at the server with the webpage but it cannot find the picture to present it. In essense- the link to the picture has been severed.

Hope that helps.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks, Andy for the reply. I think I understand now that these bvxxxxx.gif images are only stored on the server....not my computer!

Comment

1/2 right. They are stored both places. When ever you create an image on your page with the BV web builder, it makes a copy and stores it in the images folder. When you bring up the page in the BV web builder, it reads the link created by the BV program to the image in the images folder and displays it for you.

When you publish- the BV web builder now automatically creates the links to the pictures or gifs and makes them relavent to your position on the server.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks again, Andy.....BUT! How do I find those bv.gif files (on my computer)?? They are not in the BlueVoda/Images folder! Not a one was found when I did a "search" on my entire hard drive, (bv*.gif)! I would like to know where they are so I could make backups of them AND the page files.

Comment

All those images are on your computer - you can find them easily by opening your BV builder, click to insert an image - make the path start with Look In: Blue Voda Website Builder - and then select some of those files (navbar, menu) and you'll see all those.

So, the path on your computer will be, most likely:
                C:\programs\BlueVoda Website Builder\navbar
                or
                C:\programs\BlueVoda Website Builder\menubar\

You can get to this by going to
                My Computer
                Local Disk C
                Program Files
                Blue Voda Website Builder

Now you'll see the folders with those in them.

If you don't change them or add to them - when you download the program on another computer, they should all be there again.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth-
                  In addition to that, I believe that he is refering to shapes made in BV. An I believe he is correct- those are only stored on the server. I will have to experiment to find out for sure.

By the way- Merry Christmas Beth

Cheers to all

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

- I believe you will need to be concerned with the bv.gif files - that is if you want your page to construct perfectly without adjustments ... what you will find will be a box with a little red x on your .bvp file on your new computer if you do not have these images - including shapes and nav buttons in the same directory. The nav and menu are stored in the C://programfiles like bethers says, but your images are in My Documents.

with that being said - you should have the following

MYDOCUMENTS/BLUEVODA/IMAGES - so I believe you are saying that you cannot find this file folder - is this correct - you should have this folder ...
                    - you should redownload blue voda and reinstall again .. this folder should be created for you ... I believe even if you have not published this page and you merely preview it, these images go automatically into your image folder - I can't say that every one of them do, and why some do and some don't I can't answer, but

Can you tell us if you have a Blue Voda folder with your MY DOCUMENTS??

Perhaps the blue voda has installed incorrectly somehow - perhaps some of these files have been removed?? In any case, you should have and will need these folders.

What you say above about the shapes changing names, King Naval can definitely tell us this for sure, but if you copy and paste a shape from one page to another it shouldn't be given a different name - it remains the same name, unless something has changed, because this is the very reason you can run into trouble copying and pasting from one page to another and then on one of the pages changing the color of the shape - all would change as it was all the same bv.gif file name.

I think I would redownload blue voda and reinstall .. and as far as your files are concerned if they do not show up on your computer you can import the page via the html method to get these images and shapes .. as well you will need these so your pages will go back together ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate the effort you all put in to helping us Newbies get started. I hope someday to be able to intelligently offer help to the Newbies that come after me! That's the whole theme behind my first active website! So please bear with me if I "Beat a dead horse" sometimes! I'll try not to make it a habit!

Happy Holidays to all!

Comment

Working...
                      X