Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backing up BlueVoda files (website pages) on own computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up BlueVoda files (website pages) on own computer?

I have spent substantial time creating two websites (with BlueVoda and hosting them on VodaHost, and at this time I make changes somewhat frequently. I assume that Vodahost regularly (hopefully daily) backs up their users published websites. My 2 questions:

(1) If I would loose my BlueVoda work on my own computer, could I "reverse publish" or someway download from my published VodaHost websites back into my BlueVoda files on my own computer?

(2) Should I be backing-up the BlueVoda files (website pages) that I have on my own computer and, if so, how?

Thank you.

Gordon787

Re: Backing up BlueVoda files (website pages) on own computer?

1. Yes it is possible to 'reverse publish', that is, to retrieve pages from the internet if you lose your files, but you don't get it all back, and it can be a huge amount of work, depending on the size of your site. (this from experience..)
    2. Best to back up your BV folder at least once a week, more often if you are working daily on it. I copy my BV folder to an external drive. Some folks use a flash drive, either will work, depending on how much space you need.
    Don't forget to back up the whole BV folder, not just the pages, because you need all your images..
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

2 qeustions regarding Backing up BlueVoda files (website pages) on own computer?

Larazovich,

Thank you greatly for your message that you sent below in reply to my question about back-up my Blue Voda/BlueVoda files on my computer hard drive. Allow me to ask a follow-up question, but first: I use a PC, Windows XP Professional 2003, a Maxtor external drive for back-up, have created two websites (www.GordonPatzer.com and www.LooksRule.com) and I enter my BlueVoda files through the BlueVoda icon on my desktop, where I have numerous folders in which I have many files in each folder.

My first question: Is there a way that I can copy all my BlueVoda files through one step by simply copying the BlueVoda icon through Windows Explorer? When I have tried this, I seem to only copy the icon and not all the files, but I cannot be certain because when I click on the new copied file on my external drive my computer accesses my BlueVoda files (but I think my computer is only using the newly created icon to access my files)?

My second (and third) questions: Assuming your asnwer to my above first question is no, then is it necessary for me to go into BlueVoda and copy each of my different folders? Related, am I correct to assume that if I copy each folder one at a time onto my external hard drive that all the many files within each folder will be copied "automatically" together as part of the respective folder?

By the way, on a completely different topic--and less critical topic--my "auto fill" function has stopped working for my email box located on my contact page. Several weeks ago I posted this current "auto fill" problem regarding the "auto fill" function that stopped working for my email box of my contact page, and I have received no replies even though it appears that many people have opened my posting for support help and taken a look at my question posted.

As context: Several months ago I created two Blue/Voda websites (www.GordonPatzer.com and www.LooksRule.com) and at that time all the "yellow-color" boxes would "auto fill" with my use of the Google AutoFill feature each time that I accessed by websites using Internet Explorer and then tested my Contact page (a form that I created with ABVFP). However, about a month ago I deleted some of the unnecessary boxes/fields and moved others, and now all my "yellow-color" boxes "auto fill" just like before, all except the email address box which I must each time now type in manually. I use my Google auto-fill regularly on other websites and it works just fine, so it seems to be my BlueVoda website rather than my Google auto-fill, which means that others also cannot use their Google auto-fill on the contact page on my two websites: www.gordonpatzer.com and www.looksrule.com.

Any help you can give me regarding the email address "auto fill" problem will be appreciated, however, the BlueVoda back-up questions are of course more important.

Thank you.

Gordon787

Comment

We cannot answer whether or not you have the entire files on the back-up device without seeing it. I suggest you take your back-up device and try opening them on another computer. That will tell you if you're copying all the relevant folders.

For myself, I can simply tell my backup device to copy the folders that contain all the other folders and it does so - including what's in them. Yours should be doing that - but only you can discover if it is.

FYI - there are many external backups that you might also want to consider. For example, Dell has one for a very small fee a year where it will backup the files you tell it on a regular basis (as often as you tell it too) and so do many others. This might also be something to consider - because if, for example, your computer is stolen - and your backup device is near it - chances are it will go with it).

If you made any changes to your form, chances are you somehow made one of the fields not responsive. I suggest you ask that question in the proper forum for it - it might get lost here - and I can't give you that answer, sorry.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you Bethers for your reply below to my posting. And, although I am quite aware fo the remote back-up services such as you suggest, I have not taken any such action, but your specific mention of this option reminds me that I really need to do so becuase, precisely as you stated, if something happened to my computer (other than an internal problem) such as a theft or fire (of course, more likely theft), then the external hard drive sitting next to my computer would certainly also be taken.

Again, thank you for your reply message that you sent bleow and thank you for the reminder that I really need to actually purchase a remote back up rather than relying on my trustworthy external drive sitting next to my computer.

Gordon787

Comment

Working...
          X