link to a word file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• link to a word file

I have downloaded Microsoft files that I need to link to on my website. I copy and paste its location on my hard drive into the link field from BV but I don't get directed to it. How do I link to a Microsoft Doc?

Re: link to a word file

How about a PDF document?

Comment

You will need to upload the .doc file or the .pdf file to your directory before the link can be applied and work ...

If these are for your main account - you would upload these documents to your public_html directory ....

It is important to keep the name of your document as simple as possible, all small letters, no spaces between words unless joined together by the use of the _symbol ...

If the name of your pdf is called merrychristmas

You would apply the link on the page to this document as

it if it a word doc .. you would choose .doc instead of .pdf

To upload via the ftp method, open your webbuilder, choose tools, choose ftp manager - choose connect - the files on the left are on your computer - the files on the right are in your vh account ...

Locate the file on your computer by browsing and clicking through the files until you locate the document that you wish to upload ... once you find this, slide this document from left to right into the public_html directory - you will need to click on the public_html directory to go inside .. this is where you will want to place these documents ...

Once placed, apply the link as mentioned above onto your blue voda page and publish your page ...

If your document still cannot be found - it means you have an error somewhere between uploading to the wrong directory or an error in the link you are applying ...

ALL THINGS NEED TO BE IDENTICAL ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

i think you have to upload them to your "public HTML" folder and then link to them there, that should allow people to download them.

For example if your pdf file was named 1234 it you would direct the link to www.yoursitename.com/1234.pdf.

I'm about 90% sure this is the correct way to do that.
        So when ambition turns into a competition I'll never be the better man.

Need a break? Watch my Web Show
        http://whymeshow.com

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I did what you said, Ladyeye, and it still isn't coming up. I saved the files as file:// and the suffix is either .pdf or .doc per your comment any other adivice?

Comment

No, use the link type as http: not file://
            e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/merrychristmas.pdf as explained by Lady Eye.
            Bless you
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X