Need help for a news thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for a news thingy

Hi i want to add a thing to my homepage so i can add news but other people can get jobs and add news aswell. but they need some sort of password got any ideas?

Re: Need help for a news thingy

Add a phpBB Forum.
    It's Free, and available in Fantastico! (find it by logging on to your cPanel; click the 'Smiley Face' icon toward the bottom).

A Froum (like this) is a simple way to "manage" a community and allow individuals to post and communicate amongst themselves.

* Before you install a phpBB Forum via Fantastico, you should review all the relevant Tutorials, and pre-screen the helpful threads in the Foums here in VodaTalk (located at the next to bottom, on the Main Page of VodaTalk under the VodaLounge Forum).
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

no i have already got a forum i just want a little thing that could go on the homepage so staff members could post the news only staff members

Comment

Nothing like it here in VodaLand .... for a few reasons, but basically you are dreaming of a custom script usually seen in interactive (or "Chat"-like) environments, which may not be allowed according to nature of server usage or other technical issues.
        The closest foundation we do have is "Noah's Classifieds" (free, and still in Fantastico!), but to this day it is beyond even me to install properly!

You might try "tweaking a technology" to see if you can make something already available work for you nonetheless without running afoul of any Rules or getting in over your head technology-wise.

Amember.com has scripts to allow registration of users and User Access abilities, and LiveHelp (in Fantastico!) offers a free interaction with visitors .... this is what I mean by thinking out of the box/changing the look or intention/re-configuring a tool to do the task you wish.

You could simply Google a term once you identify the function that would work to see what kind of Freebies are lurking beyond the veil.....

Comment

ive had one before called cute news its a php script but i got no idea how to install that and thats the exact program i need

Comment

There you go! Tain't so easy Magee!

To make it easy on your "staff" and everyone involved, you should simply load another forum into a password protected directory (so no on but staff has access) and let them post notes, articles, memos, announcements, etc. amongst themselves. The only thing you need to administrate is the occasional Moderations (clean-up) on the board and the issuance of access to the directory itself (assigning Passwords, or cancelling them), since you can leave the forum open and not require registration to that on top of being issued "General" access......

It's what I do: I have 12+ forums across 5 sites, and each is in a protected directory to serve different purposes and groups. I have some for client support (some are nothing more than "locked" threads with support articles and things they can read or download videos, etc. from), a couple live Client Support Forums, and the others are variations of "resource centers" for employees (can download forms, training videos, instructions, etc.) as well as "communication networks" (a couple of these function as daily means of posting sales, lists, orders, etc.).
            I have been extremely satisfied with this "limited use" format so far, once I had them totally customized for looks and Mods added for function.
            I never could find a way to laod either ACT or a SAP-like foundation, even by proxy hosting....

Comment

i dont want a forum i want the news to be on my homepage do u get it i said i had cutenews but i dont no how to install php

Comment

Jackie,

The install instructions for Cute News are included in the files you downloaded. This is similar to the DJ script you were asking about earlier. You need to upload the files to your server and run the install program from your favorite web browser.
                Mattski

http://www.ScorpioFire.com

Comment

ok what i did i just got the folder that said cutenews i found them on the ftp manager then i click copy to then nothing happened?

Comment

Originally posted by jackielegs94 View Post
                    i dont want a forum i want the news to be on my homepage do u get it i said i had cutenews but i dont no how to install php
                    Oh, I got what you said all right, and from the first post to this I can tell that there is a gap in some understanding that I was trying to sidestep altogether: as mentioned by Matt, in the Winzip folder you downloaded for CuteNews, you will first have to "un-zip" them completely before you copy, load, or install anything!

Once you unzip the Folder, you will see files, and the first one you should zoom in on is the file with the .txt extension ..... open this file in Notebook -- it is your installation instructions and Read Me files. Follow them to the letter.

You do not need to know anything special to "install php" other than how to understand procedures and follow directions.
                    * Would probably be a good idea if you brushed up on the Tutorials in the Control Panel section also, just so you know how to upload files precisely and with 100% confidence!

Comment

ok thx

Comment

whew!

and on we go.......

Comment

its says i have to download a ftp client isnt there already one on ther if not what client isd best

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                            You do not need to know anything special to "install php" other than how to understand procedures and follow directions.
                            * Would probably be a good idea if you brushed up on the Tutorials in the Control Panel section also, just so you know how to upload files precisely and with 100% confidence!

Comment

It says i do have to but there is already a ftp manager on ther do i use that?

Comment

Working...
                              X