• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vigato
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Having problems with organizing my sites files

I am having a problem with organizing the files. I started to make folders, but then something happened, and when i tried loading the blue voda icon, it said, file not found. So i have to open up bluevoda program every time i want to open a page.

I can't click it on the desktop or anywhere else. I found out that it has something to do with if your pictures and data are inserted with a particular address, you have to keep editing the address, which is annoying as hell, why can't it be condensed into one file? Can someone offer me some help or advice on how i can organize and put them in the correct locations so i don't have to worry about it after the 1000th page, my sites load up without their info, that'd be ****load of work ahead of me, having to re edit every page one by one.

So basically, i need someone to help me understand how i can organize all of the info into one folder and have it still load up completely without any issues, so i can easily drag the folder to voda host on launch day.
  • Stevo
    Second Lieutenant

• Dec 2007

Re: Having problems with organizing my sites files

Originally posted by Vigato View Post
    So i have to open up bluevoda program every time i want to open a page.
    Yes, to my understanding, the BV program has to be open for you to open a page.

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi,

Stevo is correct. You can only access the BV documents by selecting the folder icon in BV.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• Tom vR
        Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vigato View Post

So basically, i need someone to help me understand how i can organize all of the info into one folder and have it still load up completely without any issues, so i can easily drag the folder to voda host on launch day.
        You cannot simply drag the folder from your pc to VH. My advice: On your pc, create different folders relative to topics/categories, e.g. General, Sales, etc. Save your relavant pages in these folders. Then use the PUBLISH button to publish the pages individually to your public_html folder. Some people like to create folders on the server as well. I also liked the idea and did it myself. BUT no more. I use php and everytime I make changes to some of my features such as the header area, my Quick Find, etc, I must publish them to each folder. Time waisting... Now I know the advice I received right in the beginning that it is not necessary for folders on the server, is TRUE and less trouble. With careful naming strategies it is quite easy enough to sort the pages when viewing them with FTP on the server.

So, just publish your pages to the public_html folder. They will be converted to html pages during the publishing process. Graphics will automatically be uploaded while the page is being saved as html on the server.
        Bless you
        Tom

Comment

• LadyEye
          General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Tom vR View Post
          My advice: Some people like to create folders on the server as well. I also liked the idea and did it myself. BUT no more. I use php and everytime I make changes to some of my features such as the header area, my Quick Find, etc, I must publish them to each folder. Time waisting... Now I know the advice I received right in the beginning that it is not necessary for folders on the server, is TRUE and less trouble. With careful naming strategies it is quite easy enough to sort the pages when viewing them with FTP on the server.

So, just publish your pages to the public_html folder. They will be converted to html pages during the publishing process. Graphics will automatically be uploaded while the page is being saved as html on the server.
          GREAT POST TOM

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Tom vR
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Thanks Lady Eye,
            Yes, if I can remember (about May 2007), you were also not in fovour of using sub-folders on the server.
            Bless you
            Tom

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi Holly and Tom,

My thoughts are;

It depends on what you are doing and what is the contents of your website.

For me I have my main domain plus 3 addon domains in my public_html/ directory plus a few thousand files, photos images and other documents.

Mantainence of these files and images are going to be problematic if they are all in one big mess in public_html/ identifying which files and images are for which domain especially is going to be difficult. Even if they are in folders in public_html/ there is going to be a whole lot of folders to look at
              in File Manager
              plus all the necessary addon required to enable your website to function properly.

The addon domains are listed as a folder in Public/html/addon_domain/
              therefore it is essential to have directories and sub-directories.

If any newbie starts off with an organized filing system, it will help them greatly when their website content grow to enable them to do mantainence
              and upgrading on each activity in their site.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
              State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• LadyEye
                General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                Hi Holly and Tom,

My thoughts are;

For me I have my main domain plus 3 addon domains in my public_html/ directory plus a few thousand files, photos images and other documents.

Mantainence of these files and images are going to be problematic if they are all in one big mess in public_html/ identifying which files and images are for which domain especially is going to be difficult. Even if they are in folders in public_html/ there is going to be a whole lot of folders to look at
                in File Manager
                plus all the necessary addon required to enable your website to function properly.

If any newbie starts off with an organized filing system, it will help them greatly when their website content grow to enable them to do mantainence

Zuriatman - the files or pages or images or whatever for your add on domains automatically go to their own individual folders. THEY DO NOT ALL END UP IN YOUR PUBLIC_HTML DIRECTORY ... all files for individual domains are already sorted and in their own directory ...

I would agree with you only IF ONE DOMAIN HAD MORE THAN HUNDREDS OF PHOTOS .as in your case it does. then I would consider sub-dividing them in different directories within ONE DOMAIN ONLY ...

There are many reasons for this Zuriatman ..

1. you end up with lengthy urls when they also include sub-directories in the name - makes it very difficult for someone to remember a name of the page

2. new users find it difficult enough to know where any files are going, so they do not need a complicated filing system within their directories to have to remember what folder to publish to, how to then add this folder to the url when publishing and then how to remember to add it to the url when linking .. TOO TOO MUCH!

3. if you have your images named and all within the domains folder on your own computer, there is no need to have them organized on your server in this regard.

4. I do not consider it good advice to add more to a new users experience than necessary .. for avid website builders, and those that know the directory filing system and how to make and use urls properly, well then maybe, if the situation creates the need, and that situation might apply to you, but is not the norm for most people.

Nice to see you again btw Zuriatman!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• mikejust
                  Staff Sergeant

• Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tom vR View Post
                  You cannot simply drag the folder from your pc to VH. My advice: On your pc, create different folders relative to topics/categories, e.g. General, Sales, etc. Save your relavant pages in these folders. Then use the PUBLISH button to publish the pages individually to your public_html folder. Some people like to create folders on the server as well. I also liked the idea and did it myself. BUT no more. I use php and everytime I make changes to some of my features such as the header area, my Quick Find, etc, I must publish them to each folder. Time waisting... Now I know the advice I received right in the beginning that it is not necessary for folders on the server, is TRUE and less trouble. With careful naming strategies it is quite easy enough to sort the pages when viewing them with FTP on the server.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am in the process of getting ready to launch somewhere around a 100 pages by next Sat. I am new at BV but had created a 1000 page site previously that i am now forced to move as they (the host is pulling the plug on the servors) on the 31st .. ( *& %$ tards).. anyway not time to lament on that! onward

Current situation (today)
                  * I am using a single page php "menu" :
                  * and page extensions of .php
                  *I have downloaded and operate BV builder from a 1 G flash drive
                  * I have organized PAGE files by catagory names that i can readily identify.
                  * There are hundreds of images (probably closer to 1000 +)

Here's my questions of the hour. twofold; 1) image/folders and 2)multiple computer use.

1)Images/folders - In creating the new BV pages after opening my "template", I have dragged images from the old website onto the page. Yesterday, a preview dispayed the images in fine form. Today it is red x's..
                  QUES:
                  1-A) To avoid this red "x" delimma, do i need to right click the images on the old web site and save to an IMAGE FOLDER within my BV builder? and
                  1 - B) If so. can I place the IMAGEs (folder) (within the builder ) for a specific catagory INTO that specific CATAGORY folder along with the pages for that particular catagory?

2) In trying to beat the "pull the plug on my current servor deadline (mr 31) ,, i have enlisted the help of others.. they are working on separate computers (same room with me).. with separate BV builder software on their computer.. (trying to gang up here and get er done)

QUES: If I copy/paste the above CATAGORY FOLDERS which will include images and pages prenamed and they (the helpers) assist me by placing images (from the image folders) upon the prenamed pages, saving the changes, text, etc. (save page as)
                  QUES: Can i safely, then, when they are done,,, copy/paste their updated folders from their respective hard drives back to MY BV system of MY flash drive without loss of path's.. will this work?

fingers crossed...
                  i know this is a long post.. ty..
                  Kindest of Regards,

Just Mike
                  www.treetables.com

Comment

• Tom vR
                    Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                    Hi Holly and Tom,

My thoughts are;

in File Manager

Hi Zuriatman,
                    I agree with you about sorting files, especially the graphics in subfolders on the server. Make no mistake, I also like to keep my files organised in subfolders. I'm totally in fovour of it, BUT the only problem I have with this, is the fact that if you use PHP and you have various items, such as the menu, header, footer, and other items, such as my quick find on my current website (frequent properties) that changes regularly, you have to publish those pages to each and every subfolder. Sometimes I just forget to do that for one or two of the subfolders and that is a mess as the changes you made, are not visible on all your pages. These changes need to be done every week and sometimes several times a week.

[This problem will soon be solved when I redesign my site with OpenRealty in which a database will do all the donkey work for me]

As far as my images are concerned, I have hundreds of them, but they are specially named according to property reference numbers, so they can be sorted very easily in FTP. It is not difficult to manage them with FTP if they are to be in one folder only.

It is good to discuss this as I have discussed this issue several times in the past. Newbys can now at least find out what will work the best for them. They have a choice, lol.
                    Bless you
                    Tom

Comment

• Tom vR
                      Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Hi Mike,

I have copied your long post below and have answered you in BLUE to make it easier to follow your post. Okay, here we go:

Current situation (today)
                      * I am using a single page php "menu" :
                      * and page extensions of .php
                      *I have downloaded and operate BV builder from a 1 G flash drive
                      Not a good idea. Best operate BV on your pc and not mem stick (if I understand you correctly here).

* I have organized PAGE files by catagory names that i can readily identify.
                      Good.

* There are hundreds of images (probably closer to 1000 +)
                      Oach !!!

Here's my questions of the hour. twofold; 1) image/folders and 2)multiple computer use.

1)Images/folders - In creating the new BV pages after opening my "template", I have dragged images from the old website onto the page.
                      Not sure how you managed to drag them...

Yesterday, a preview dispayed the images in fine form. Today it is red x's..
                      I thought so...

QUES:
                      1-A) To avoid this red "x" delimma, do i need to right click the images on the old web site and save to an IMAGE FOLDER within my BV builder?
                      YES.

and
                      1 - B) If so. can I place the IMAGEs (folder) (within the builder ) for a specific catagory INTO that specific CATAGORY folder along with the pages for that particular catagory?
                      YES.

2) In trying to beat the "pull the plug on my current servor deadline (mr 31) ,, i have enlisted the help of others.. they are working on separate computers (same room with me).. with separate BV builder software on their computer.. (trying to gang up here and get er done)
                      Good luck, but now you have more groundwork to do, I'll explain below...

QUES: If I copy/paste the above CATAGORY FOLDERS which will include images and pages prenamed and they (the helpers) assist me by placing images (from the image folders) upon the prenamed pages, saving the changes, text, etc. (save page as)
                      I have experimented with this before and here is my findings: (some people might have other ideas, with good reason and might not agree with mine, but it has not failed me once during my experiment using different computers, copying folders between them and then publishing).
                      If you use the My Documents folder on each computer to store your BlueVoda folder and its subfolders, you will surely get RED crosses for your images when you transfer the subfolders from various computers to a single computer. The reason is that the path to specific page and its graphics are not the same on the various comps. It normally looks something like this:
                      Your PC (example) C:\Documents and Settings\JustMike\My Documents\BlueVoda
                      Helper 1's PC (example) C:\Documents and Settings\Helper1\My Documents\BlueVoda
                      When you populate the pages with the graphics, BV remembers the specific path it was created with. If you now copy a subfolder from a helper's pc to yours, BV will lose that link and you will get red crosses in the builder.

QUES: Can i safely, then, when they are done,,, copy/paste their updated folders from their respective hard drives back to MY BV system of MY flash drive without loss of path's..
                      NO
                      will this work?
                      NO.

Sollution: You and your helpers must move your BlueVoda folder (with its subfolders) directly to the root of each pc, e.g. c:\BlueVoda.
                      After doing this, you need to repopulate the existing pages with the images.
                      Now when all done you should be able to copy subfolders safely from one pc to another without losing the links to the images.

fingers crossed...
                      Try one or two folders first.

i know this is a long post..
                      No problem

ty.
                      Pleasure.
                      Bless you
                      Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X