Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "backing up files"

Good morning,
    I've read the threads about backing up my files before downloading the new BV but I have a question. What exactally does "backing up" a file mean? Saving it somewhere in case the computer crashes? What exactally should I be backing up? I tried the FAQ and found no results on this subject. I have burned a copy of the BV9 to a disc. That's all I've done. Please guide me with the steps and what I should be backing up.
    Thanks in advance!
    Elena Springett
    www.septemberschild.com

Re: "backing up files"

Originally posted by eribbit69 View Post
    Good morning,
    I've read the threads about backing up my files before downloading the new BV but I have a question. What exactally does "backing up" a file mean? Saving it somewhere in case the computer crashes? What exactally should I be backing up? I tried the FAQ and found no results on this subject. I have burned a copy of the BV9 to a disc. That's all I've done. Please guide me with the steps and what I should be backing up.
    Thanks in advance!
    Elena Springett
    www.septemberschild.com
    Just put the page files of your site on the disc. I have never ever experienced a problem when updating toa new version of Bv and I am sure everything will be just fine but if you are worried that's all you need to do.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Hi Elena,

Peace be to you.

You can Open a folder in you home pc and dowload all the webpages and
      images to your folder for safe keeping, just in case the sky fall down!
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

You want to backup your pages from the folder in your PC to a disc or something not on your PC. Having them on your PC means you may lose them if your PC crashes.
        There are some site that will allow you to backup and save on their site. I use mozy but there are others. Several will give you a limited amount of space free. Most will automatically back up whichever files you select. You simply set it up and tell it how often to backup and it's done.
        Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
        Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
        Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

Originally posted by jcaywood View Post
          You want to backup your pages from the folder in your PC to a disc or something not on your PC. Having them on your PC means you may lose them if your PC crashes.
          There are some site that will allow you to backup and save on their site. I use mozy but there are others. Several will give you a limited amount of space free. Most will automatically back up whichever files you select. You simply set it up and tell it how often to backup and it's done.
          Jcaywood,

Do not put other people down as if you are the only expert with a computer.

This an open forum and everybody is entitled to their opinion.

As for your computer crashing, you can always avoid losing your files by
          partitioning your disk into multiple drives. Instead of using only one C:\
          drive you can partition your disk into C:\ and D:\ drives.

Keep your important files and backups in your D:\ drives.

If your computer crashes you can reformat [reinstall the operating system] your computer to it's original state without losing any data from your D:\
          drive. Only the C:\ drive will be cleaned.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Sorry Zuriatman, I didn't realize I was putting anyone down. That was not my intention. I don't consider myself to be an expert on the computer.
            I understand about partitioning the hard drive, etc, but, in my opinion, the safest way to back up files is away from your computer.
            Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
            Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
            Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

I don't believe jcaywood was putting anyone down either, and I agree with saving to off the computer. As to partitioning, Zuriatman, that is a good idea, but it still leaves the possibility of losing it all.

I'm a strong believer in using outside devices - whether usb flash drives, an external drive, etc. I also, along with my external saving, use one of the services like mentioned by jcaywood - I have it run automatically weekly - and can run it manually whenever I want :)

Oh, and if you save to an external device, and you travel a lot - back the external device and your computer in separate bags - in case of theft or lost items, etc. Even in your home, your external device, to be safe, should be kept separate from your computer.
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Jcaywood,

If you had phrased your reply without directing it at somebody else's thread I would not have responded in such a manner. Since it was not intentional I am sorry for the outburst too.

Hi Beth,

"This is for argument sake"

I you are talking of possibilities, the possibility of your external drive, usb pendrive and even cds being corrupted is equally just as great. There is no sure thing. So there really is very limited possibilities left.

I have had first hand experiences with crashes and lost a lot of my orchid
                photos taken from several countries which cannot be replaced until I learned this simple trick called "partitioning"
                and I have never lost any data since. I also had to reformat
                my pc twice these last couple of years
                which had not affected my other drives in any way.

I guess it is up to the person who will finally decide.

"Coming back to the question from the one who posted this thread,
                you still have to backup to your pc before you can backup to a cd."
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                State of Johor.

Comment

Thank you all for wonderful ideas!

Comment

Professional backups:

Daily (if the application data is crucial)
                    Weekly
                    Monthly

If daily, even days and odd days backups should be kept apart.
                    Backups, on whatever media (memory stick, hard disk, DVD, tape or other) are to be kept away from the computer itself, in a protected place etec. etc. etc.

Partitioning will not save your data in case of mechanical failure that will destroy the disk surface.

I don't say that you should follow all the above (we do it in my office, on weekly basis, but that's normal with a commercial activity stored on the server) BUT a backup should, in my opinion, be made in an external drive (of whatever type) and kept away.

Last but not least: a year ago my laptop was stolen. No partitioning can save you from something like this...
                    Navaldesign
                    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Just to add that i simply also store my files (as a backup) directly on my site ......
                      Navaldesign
                      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                      X