BV vs FrontPage Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BV vs FrontPage Questions

I have not posted any BV pages to my current hosting site.

I'm currently using FP and when you use one of their templates, Borders, Images, background Themes, Overlay folders, etc. are part of the template. Their Themes set the page background. Does BV require a similar file structure be established for my site Template that I will use during edits and such.

I'm trying to understand just how BV works and I like being able to add the pizazz to my pages.

1. If I want my page to look and feel like an 8.5 by 11" page, do I set the page size in "Page Properties" to 850 by 1100?

2. Once I complete my page, and I'm ready to publish it, what happens to the Template background, navigation bar, footers, etc.? Does BV create an image folder on the remote host where it places those images, etc. during posting or visitation?

3. What do I have to do to import my BV pages into FrontPage and/or import my FP pages into BV?

4. When I create a bottom page border, how can I get the page to automatically bring current the date of the update?

Am I in the right forum?

I appreciate any guidance you can give
    Ralph
    www.woodlake-community.org (Created in FrontPage)

Re: BV vs FrontPage Questions

Originally posted by redole View Post
    I'm currently using FP and when you use one of their templates, Borders, Images, background Themes, Overlay folders, etc. are part of the template. Their Themes set the page background. Does BV require a similar file structure be established for my site Template that I will use during edits and such.
    I'm trying to understand just how BV works and I like being able to add the pizazz to my pages.
    1. If I want my page to look and feel like an 8.5 by 11" page, do I set the page size in "Page Properties" to 850 by 1100?
    2. Once I complete my page, and I'm ready to publish it, what happens to the Template background, navigation bar, footers, etc.? Does BV create an image folder on the remote host where it places those images, etc. during posting or visitation?
    3. What do I have to do to import my BV pages into FrontPage and/or import my FP pages into BV?
    4. When I create a bottom page border, how can I get the page to automatically bring current the date of the update?
    www.woodlake-community.org (Created in FrontPage)
    Ralph,

FrontPage (which is no longer supported by Mirosoft whatsoever) and Blue Voda are incompatible utilities, and will not function via importing elements back and forth.

To answer your questions by the number...
    1. Blue Voda uses the universal WWW standard of PIXELs thoughout the program with regard to size for all shapes, objects, images, and "page" dimensions. Inches are not translateable, but may be approximated when converting older formats if you have a conversion formula to use as a guide (find one by Google).

2. Because FP and BV are incompatible, you will need to focus on using Blue Voda for the construct of your pages. And, yes, your pages are entirely customizable easily in the drag-and-drop environment Blue Voda was created in, making even the largest update jobs simple and quick. Pages are automatically Saved and your folders updated each time you Publish.

3. You cannot import aspects of FP into Blue Voda, and vice versa: they are incompatible. IF, however, you are tryhing to preserve the total build of your previously FP-created and elsewhere published pages, you can use an inline frame (iFrame) to "present" your earlier pages 'on top' of a BV created page (where you can construct the borders, navigation, etc.), and it will appear that the BV page with iFramed other page are simply one page. This is something you will need to research here in the forums: using iFrames, and the different techniques possible within Blue Voda. It is too long of a topic to brief down for you here.

4. There are multiple means to automatically update a "templated" page design automatically using Blue Voda, and even manual page-to-page updates are not too much of a challenge due to the simplistic nature Blue Voda allows Users to manipulate items with superb results in the friendly manner it was built on (depending on the number of your pages, of course, it can take minutes or as much time as required accordingly).

My suggestion is that you download Blue Voda for Free and start using it to create a page or two until you become familiar enough with it to see for yourself how to resolve your issues you are predicting you will face.
    You can download Blue Voda, use it to create web pages, and Preview them prior to ordering a hosting account at VodaHost.
    The Tutorials will clearly outline every aspect of technique you will use to build an awesome website. Be sure to review them in order, as they are progressive and that in itself is an important aspect in web building. You can also pause them to practice the topical instruction right then and there in Blue Voda if you have it open when reviewing them --- a great way to "validate" your learning experience!
    Keep in mind you can only Publish a BV-created web page to a VodaHost server, meaning you will need a VodaHost account established to actually publish to the web. The Preview function in BV allows you to create away to your heart's content and see 'live' in an IE browser how the page looks fully functional, but again, that is only on your local system and not on the web proper.

Good to see you thinking, but still no need to put the cart before the horse!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks Vasili
      I suspected as much. I would love to move my hosting account to BlueVoda but I have paid for a full years service and to change now would cause me to lose money on the hosting effort.

In the interim, I have Blue Voda installed and will continue to work with it until I feel comfortable with it and then I'll reconsider moving my domain and account files over. OR, I will just wait until the expiration in the Spring and do it then.

So back to the drawing board with practice, practice, practice.

Thanks again

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
      Ralph,

FrontPage (which is no longer supported by Mirosoft whatsoever) and Blue Voda are incompatible utilities, and will not function via importing elements back and forth.

To answer your questions by the number...
      1. Blue Voda uses the universal WWW standard of PIXELs thoughout the program with regard to size for all shapes, objects, images, and "page" dimensions. Inches are not translateable, but may be approximated when converting older formats if you have a conversion formula to use as a guide (find one by Google).

2. Because FP and BV are incompatible, you will need to focus on using Blue Voda for the construct of your pages. And, yes, your pages are entirely customizable easily in the drag-and-drop environment Blue Voda was created in, making even the largest update jobs simple and quick. Pages are automatically Saved and your folders updated each time you Publish.

3. You cannot import aspects of FP into Blue Voda, and vice versa: they are incompatible. IF, however, you are tryhing to preserve the total build of your previously FP-created and elsewhere published pages, you can use an inline frame (iFrame) to "present" your earlier pages 'on top' of a BV created page (where you can construct the borders, navigation, etc.), and it will appear that the BV page with iFramed other page are simply one page. This is something you will need to research here in the forums: using iFrames, and the different techniques possible within Blue Voda. It is too long of a topic to brief down for you here.

4. There are multiple means to automatically update a "templated" page design automatically using Blue Voda, and even manual page-to-page updates are not too much of a challenge due to the simplistic nature Blue Voda allows Users to manipulate items with superb results in the friendly manner it was built on (depending on the number of your pages, of course, it can take minutes or as much time as required accordingly).

My suggestion is that you download Blue Voda for Free and start using it to create a page or two until you become familiar enough with it to see for yourself how to resolve your issues you are predicting you will face.
      You can download Blue Voda, use it to create web pages, and Preview them prior to ordering a hosting account at VodaHost.
      The Tutorials will clearly outline every aspect of technique you will use to build an awesome website. Be sure to review them in order, as they are progressive and that in itself is an important aspect in web building. You can also pause them to practice the topical instruction right then and there in Blue Voda if you have it open when reviewing them --- a great way to "validate" your learning experience!
      Keep in mind you can only Publish a BV-created web page to a VodaHost server, meaning you will need a VodaHost account established to actually publish to the web. The Preview function in BV allows you to create away to your heart's content and see 'live' in an IE browser how the page looks fully functional, but again, that is only on your local system and not on the web proper.

Good to see you thinking, but still no need to put the cart before the horse!

Comment

Originally posted by redole View Post
        Thanks Vasili
        I suspected as much. I would love to move my hosting account to BlueVoda but I have paid for a full years service and to change now would cause me to lose money on the hosting effort.

In the interim, I have Blue Voda installed and will continue to work with it until I feel comfortable with it and then I'll reconsider moving my domain and account files over. OR, I will just wait until the expiration in the Spring and do it then.

So back to the drawing board with practice, practice, practice.

Thanks again
        The majority of hosting providers offer pro-rated refunds on account charges. Some are accurate to a "daily rate" when charging a monthly fee, and others only offer un-used monthly charges (and not a fractional monthly base rate), so you may wish to inquire with your current host to at lesat initiate the process if only to "note your record" to preserve any options that may be influenced by a time restriction of any sort.

By the time you feel up to speed using Blue Voda (and whether or not you still want to simply transfer over an exisiting site as a "placeholder" until you finalize a BV site at VH - a simple process in itself, the transfer/re-hosting), it may really only be a very few dollars you need be concerned about --- especially with all the features that a VodaHost account offers!!

Just suggesting you prudently "investigate and preserve" your options....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I found that I can transfer my site to Blue Voda but the hoster requires a 30 day notice. I am in the process of doing that now.

1st? - Can Blue Voda handle my site which is currently done in FrontPage and is hosted on a Windows Host with FP extensions installed? Need to know so I don't lose any of the site during the transfer and while my new pages, etc. are finalized.

2nd? - This site is for a private community and there's a lot of residents who are Internet scared. The site is somewhat secure now as I have not registered it with any Search Engines nor have I identified any metatags or Key words in the site. That makes it almost impossible to find this site without direct knowledge of the URL. I test searching on various combinations of the community site name almost weekly and to date the site does not get recognized by any of the major search engines. I want to keep this functionality during and after the transfer. Is this possible?

3rd? - What do I have to do to establish a placemarker on BV for this site? Can I publish to this placemarker any pages I complete in BV that can be found with IE so that I can test the new site pages, links, etc. before going live after the transfer?

Thanks for all your help
          Ralph
          Last edited by redole; 07-15-2008, 11:05 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

mostlikely ccan handle it, except if you have non bluevoda compatible items. Place marker? as in what place it is in with number of visitors? that is usually a script thing, I cant' even code it so I really cant help you there.
            Z0mg it burned!

Comment

First, yes, VodaHost (not BV which is the site builder) can handle a FrontPage site - you can host it here while you build in BV.

2. Your site will most likely be found eventually, no matter where you host it - because someone, somewhere, will post a link to it - (you or one of your uses) and when that happens, the search engines will find you.

The way to get around this is to put in meta information to the search engines to not index the page - and better yet- make the site password protected - so that your users would have to use a password to enter.

3. As to testing the pages, each page, as you build, you can simply click on the link to preview in your browser. The pages are saved in your BV folder and you open them with BV to work on them - and have that link available on each page.
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

And just a small thing here, regarding your original first question. Yes, to give your page a look and feel of an 8.5" by 11" page, you can set your page to 850 by 1100 pixels. It's not the units that count, it's the ratio of one length to the other. Even if you could set the page for inches, it would appear at a different size on different monitors.

Tom
                CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Lolpout View Post
                  mostlikely ccan handle it, except if you have non bluevoda compatible items. Place marker? as in what place it is in with number of visitors? that is usually a script thing, I cant' even code it so I really cant help you there.
                  I may have confused you with the word Place Marker. What I do now is that when I first developed the site, I was given a seperate URL that I could use to view and test my site. It was different from the normal url of the site and was used while the normal domain and url was propogating the Internet. Once the site was fully published and propogated, it became idle and no longer functions.

What I was looking for, was a way to put my BlueVoda site on a Voda host and be able to access it with IE as if I were a user so I could test all my pages, links, etc. during the timeframe I'm waiting for the domain transfer to occur between current hoster and the Blue Voda Host. Is that possible?
                  Thanks
                  Last edited by redole; 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM. Reason: Text changes

Comment

When I designed my homepage can I change that any time when it's on the Internet

Comment

yes, you can. you just need to update it.
                      Z0mg it burned!

Comment

Thank you, there are many questions

Comment

Working...
                        X