Had to change computers, page formatting all out of whack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to change computers, page formatting all out of whack

I recently experienced the dreaded computer crash, but my hard drive made it through unscathed. Whew. I had to transfer all my BlueVoda website files to my laptop. I knew about correcting the image paths, so no freak out there. My problem is the page sizes. It is now as if they are too small for the text in my BlueVoda builder window. Do I have to rebuild all these pages?

Wondering if someone can please help me understand why now when I build pages, the text is quite small when I preview the page before publishing. Having a hard time with spacing and so on. I moved from a 17 inch screen on a PC to a small Dell laptop with a 13 inch (?) screen. I built the websites and am the webmaster for five sites. Yikes.

Is there something I am missing? I transferred all the files directly form my old hard drive which is now set up as an exteral drive and plugs into a usb port on my laptop. However, I copied the website files on over to the c: drive on the laptop. Everything still looks okay online; but I have a scrambled mess when I open up the file on my laptop so I can do updates for clients. I would love to get back to building the sites in the 'what you see is what you get' mode instead of tiny type and weird spacing.

Sorry to go on and on. I didn't know how to explain the problem.

Thanking you in advance.

Susan

Re: Had to change computers, page formatting all out of whack

Some of this has to do with the dpi settings of the two different monitors. Just click on page properties, and you can see the size of the pages there. Its likely your laptop is viewing the pages smaller because its a smaller screen or you have different resolution set there.. big difference 1024x whatever and 860x whatever.. in the settings

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen - thank you for your quck reply. I wasn't sure where you were referring to for checking the page properties? Within BlueVoda builder? I always set them at 800 in width to avoid scrolling for anyone. I did open my control panel and clicked on Display. It shows that this laptop is set at 1280 by 800 pixels. The text was set at large (125% of normal); I reset it to normal 96 dpi and rebooted. Whoa. Now the text is really tiny.

But the good news is when I open one of the bv files that I transferred over, it all looks normal again... or in perspective. This could be challenging if I have to switch back and forth in order not to suffer eye strain in my normal use. Until my old computer is repaired or I buy a new one, I have to use this laptop to keep on going and that means building client websites on it. Yowza. One needs to keep a sense of humor, that's for sure.

Cheers,
      Susan

Comment

Try changing the laptop screen to 1024 or there abouts and see if that isnt a more normal resolution.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
        X