Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

I don't mean to be a pain, but I had my site running perfectly. One day, I upped the font size to make it easier to read, and half of the site has not been okay, and the only thing changed was the font size. Can anyone take a look and advise me on how to fix the problem?

The problem starts with the 'For Sale' link I believe, and goes downhill from there. The buttons don't redirect correctly, yet they are set to go to the right page, and for whatever reason, the buttons change position, but when I check my web layout in BlueVoda they are in their proper positions, yet no matter how many times I've published the 'correct' format, online it is always messed up. Also, when I scroll over the buttons online, the rollover text changes, and it's not set up to do so. Another problem that I am having is that a picture on the 'About Us' section will not come up with the right one. It is always published with the right one, however, online it is never there.

I am just beginning to get frustrated, because, in BlueVoda, everything is right and the way it's supposed to be and whenever I publish it, it isn't. I haven't been able to figure out what is wrong.

And to think, I had it perfect, and just by changing the stupid font size, the whole thing goes down the tubes :(

I want everyone to know that it will no longer freeze up anyone's computer, so it is safe to look at and really fast. To the administrator who suggested downsizing the photo size, you hit the nail on the head, thankyou.

Sorry that this is so long, I just tried to provide the best description of what was happening. I even tried to put in that anti page cacthing code, and to no avail :(

I'm just at my wits end, and don't know how to procede.
    Courtney Mason
    Forthofer Farm

Proud Home of Marystown Explosive Echo

http://www.forthoferfarm.com.

Re: Need Help

I'm not seeing the problem you are describing (in IE) everything worked perfect. No problems with the links, changing fonts, the about us page came right up. Try clearing your browser to make sure you are seeing a free view and not a cashed one.
    Reguards
    Ed
    www.dsondesigns.com
    www.marseillesyouthsports.com
    www.300hitter.com
    www.bigjk.net
    How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Check your page size and make sure it is where it is supposed to be.

What browser are you using?

What screen resolution are you viewing it on?

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

My page size is fine, all around or less than 800 by 800, as advised by another administrator in another post. My screen resoultion is 1152 by 864 pixels. I have never had a problem before. It was wierd because all that I did was up the font size from 10pt to 11pt and it all went from there.

as mentioned by D'son, the problem with the menu is that the buttons go out of order. Instead of being Stallions, Mares, Foals, For Sale, Sold, About Us, Contact Us, the buttons will come up Foals, Mares, Sold...ect. out of order, when on the pages I save and publish they are fine and correct and set right to redirect to the proper pages. even on other pages, when I scroll over them, they switch titles, and they aren't supposed to.

the other, I don't know if I explained it well enough was that an improper photo appears when it is not anywhere on the page, and no matter how many times I save the page the proper way, nothing changes.

I've tried the catching code, that prevents the pages from remaining with parts of another, and it doesn't help. with or without, the problem is still there, no matter how many times I save the pages the right way, or publish them the right way. I've cleared out my browser, and no use.

I have not been able to find anything.

thank you all for your help, I hope that I can figure this out and fix it...I just don't know where to start.
        Courtney Mason
        Forthofer Farm

Comment

small little things like the capital S you are using on Sold when saving the page. you also have a -2, i would use an underscore there. i also see on every link you are using caps. you should save your pages and link your pages with no space, no caps, no hypens. try that and see if that works better. let us know
          mrmagoo144
          www.videopostcards.info

Comment

I have done that, I do not have any spaces, and before this, the hyphens had no effect on anything. I have tried to reverse the font and to no avail. I will try to change it to an underscore, but as of right now, I am not on the computer where my program is.
            thank you, maybe it will work :D All I can do is hope.
            Courtney Mason
            Forthofer Farm

Comment

If your menu buttons are not staying the same, this is probably why ..

Copying and pasting or cloning from one page to another is okay unless you .... then change things ..

So if you create a menu with 8 items, give them names, give the urls in that button and then take it to the next page and copy and paste .. then no problems, if you then decide to change things on one given page, this is where you can run into trouble ..

Rule of thumb - create a navigation that is suitable, useable, in the same location on every page .. then no troubles.

If you are going to change something .. insert a new item ..

Reason .. these turn into images, and are given a certain name by which they are then called to the page ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

but you have caps on every link - no caps, no spaces, no hyphens. all we can do is suggest. what i would do is start a new nav menu bar on the home page. once done completely, i would copy and paste to each page. would be happy to help you if you want to contact me through my website.
                mrmagoo144
                www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Originally posted by mrmagoo144 View Post
                  but you have caps on every link - no caps, no spaces, no hyphens. all we can do is suggest. what i would do is start a new nav menu bar on the home page. once done completely, i would copy and paste to each page. would be happy to help you if you want to contact me through my website.
                  As long as her pages match her links she is fine. The only page that you absolutely can not is the index and possibly with forms. We tell everyone not to use caps for uniformity and to be able to find their pages easily. Hyphens are alright too except in certain instances. We are trying to tell her not to copy and paste elements as you can run into problems at times, like with buttons.
                  Reguards
                  Ed
                  www.dsondesigns.com
                  www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                  www.300hitter.com
                  www.bigjk.net
                  How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you to all who have put in advice on how to fix this problem. I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back. I have used the advice given, and am happy to say that the site is up and fully functional! A big THANK YOU to everyone once again! :D

just like everything in my life, it was the little things killing me. actually the real problem was not hyphens, or caps, but an underscore here and there. in my redirects it was there, but somehow I'd overlooked it when putting page names on, and never noticed it! I feel very foolish, but the advice given made me catch my mistake. in any case, I fixed all of the problems (hopefully, knock on wood) including any caps and hyphens :) to be on the 'safe' side. lol. thank you!
                    Courtney Mason
                    Forthofer Farm

Comment

There is another reason why caps are not preferred. Sitemaps will not see a link that uses caps.
                      CarbonTerry
                      Semper Fi
                      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                      Zone 5 Photo
                      My USMC

Comment

Working...
                      X