Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please wait page

Hi,
    Does anyone know how a 'Please wait' page can be added to pages that may take a little longer to load due to the amount of content on it?

Thanks for any help,

Steve.

Re: Please wait page

No such thing as a 'Please wait' page. Provide a link and i will look at your page for issues.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Maybe I have jumped to conclusions as to what is actually happening on the webpages where a message of this kind comes up. When I clicked on this forum for example, it used the basic message, 'if not redirected please click here' (or words to that affect). So it seems as though a secondary page can sometimes kick in, but I do not know how.

The webpage in question on my website is;

It generally takes about 8 - 10 seconds to load due to the amount of links that are on there (which are integral to the page). As we know, that is a long time for a webpage, hence my hope in a 'please wait' page to 'soften' the wait a little bit. Any help is most welcome.

Thanks,

Steve.

Comment

Loaded right up for me, no wait at all. Usually links don't slow things down.
        Reguards
        Ed
        www.dsondesigns.com
        www.marseillesyouthsports.com
        www.300hitter.com
        www.bigjk.net
        How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Don't know for sure, but I think those "Please wait" messages are usually part of a flash website, which you don't have. But I'm with D'son; 2 seconds tops.
          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

I appreciate people have different connection speeds to the Internet, as this 8 - 10 seconds happens to me everytime I clear out the cache files on my computer. My only concern is for those who are looking for the first time, they may not want to wait, especially if their connection speed is quite slow.

I understand that if they are that impatient then my website overall will probably not be for them, however, if there is a way of softening the waiting time, then I think this will help.

The secondary page mentioned before when coming onto this Forum, which clicks in as the main page is loading behind the scenes, how does that work and can I apply the same for the webpage in question?

Thanks,

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
              Don't know for sure, but I think those "Please wait" messages are usually part of a flash website, which you don't have. But I'm with D'son; 2 seconds tops.

Does that mean this Forum runs on Flash?

Comment

No, but if you are getting a "If not redirected click here" message, that's a whole different thing. That means you're opening an old page that VodaHost has replaced with this new forum page--instead of deleting the old page which would lose everybody, they've put an automatic redirect on the old URL. (I've never seen it myself).
                CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

OK, thanks Tony. If it is a connection speed issue then I suppose there is not too much I can do about it anyway.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Steve.

Comment

Hi, there are plenty of the please wait, free scripts out there. Just be careful on the use you are using it for. Some just give a preset time. (Not much good unless you know the visitors download speed). Some work in a way that has the file stored & opens the page when downloaded. If its for images? You can get scripts that download a list of images before the page will open. This enables a faster page when loaded. BV's light box desperately kneads it if used as a gallery.
                    Just pop a search in for download progress script. Sample 1 sample 2
                    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks for the leads, although I think they need a bit of script adjustment to work for my website. Presently, that is beyond my 'skill range', so I will just have leave it as it is. I was hoping it was something quite straightforward that I could manage. No problems though, but thank you all for taking the time.

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                      X