Index won't link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index won't link

Good day, Brad here at www.eyeonyouinvestigations.net. Since losing all my files last week and rebuilding my site I have had nothing but trouble. I'm still having trouble publishing my new contact us page. I did however manage to publish my index page with some changes but now it doesn't link to the other pages. The other pages link to each other and the index page but if I start with the index page first it won't link. I just get a page saying "this page can't be found. Any help will be appreciated. I just want to get back to the comfort of having a working site like it was before the crash. Thanks, Brad

Re: Index won't link

http://www.eyeonyouinvestigations,com/matrimonial.html

hmmm ... so without going any further, you do indeed have some linking issues ...

my advice, open every page and remove the nav bar completely from each page .. on one page make yourself a completely correct working nav bar .. ensure all your links say .net and do not have commas, mnispelled words, spaces between words or if they do the words joined together with an _underscore .. you do not need to add index.html to any link - by default this is what your domain name link, url, address is .. so start new .. make a 100% perfect nav, then copy and paste from one page to the other ...

it wont take long, just watch all your typos ..

p.s. any page having a contact or form of sorts will automatically be saved as and named as .php .. so this extension is necessary for that page, which I think you have already discovered anyway ...

:)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Ladyeye, I wish I knew your first name, it would make it easier to address you. May I say something with out affending you or anyone on this forum? Some of us who use this forum looking for answers to our questios arn't fluid in the abreviations of those who are confident in the ways of the tech. I read some of these posts and I can't for the life of me figure out what you are refering to when you use words, abbreviated, that you know and expect us to know. I'm a PI and trying to maintain a site which I created using BV and has served me well for more than a year. When you say."open every page and remove the nav bar completely from each page .. on one page make yourself a completely correct working nav bar" What are you trying to tell me as a laymen. what is a nav bar and why have all the nav bars changed ? My site was carefully constucted and has brought me a lot of business in the last year. I only made 2 new publishes and the index page is the only page not funtioning. Do you really think I should start all over. I really don't mean to sound like a a** hole but I think it must have a much easier solution. If it's as easy as you say, could I please send you my info and have you show me the right way to fix this. With much respect, Brad

Comment

By nav bar she means your navigation buttons (links) that lead to other pages. The main problem is that some refer to your site as eyeonyouinvestigations.com when it's really eyeonyouinvestigations.net. One has a comma instead of a dot, etc.

If you look at your page in your web browser, hover the mouse over any of your buttons. In the lower left of your screen you should see the link spelled out, for each button you hover. For example, when I'm on your Home page, I hover the Contact Us link and see http://www.eyeonyouinvestigations.com/contactus.html. That's not the name of your contact page, so it doesn't work. But when I'm on your What's Next page, I hover the Contact Us link and see http://www.eyeonyouinvestigations.net/contact_us.php which is the correct name--it works.

Lady Eye is telling you that you need to go to every link on every page to correct things. Personally, I don't agree with the copy and paste method as I've never gotten that to work for me.
        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Thank you Tom, I really am sorry for sounding so disgruntled but some times I need a little more clarity. your explination was just that. Now I can understand what to do next. Again I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks muchly, Brad

Comment

Brad, we all start at the beginning--no need to feel bad. I'd say "Welcome to Vodaland" but you've been here longer than me!

Comment

One more question if you don't mind. Why do you think that all my pages decided to become ".com" when they have always been ".net". and have never had anything to do with ".com"? Thanks, Brad

Comment

Well, our first conclusion would be you typed in com instead of net! But if you refuse to cop to that, then it's got to be web gremlins (in other words, I don't know). Just to be sure, the pages remained net, it was the links that became com; the links need to be changed.

Comment

Tom, I just went in to the nav bars and changed each one to .net and save my work . I checked to see that they indeed were addressed .net. Then I published each page individually. When I went on line to check, and draged my mouse over each nav bar, they still say .com. I have never typed .com in any instance connected to this site wether you think it is me refusing to cop to it or not. This forum is to help people not imply that they're ignorant and can't follow instructions. I will give you my password and username and ask you to go in and make the changes nessesary to make this site work. If it works for you then I will admit my stupidity and acknowledge your superiority. Please don't take this as anything but a challenge. If you don't want to I hope someone else will help. I really like BV and have recruited alot of people to this website. Respectfully, Brad

Comment

Sorry, Brad--I was joking! I would never had said that if I thought I'd offend. Please accept my apology. (My only excuse is I'm sicker than a dog and running on not too much brain power at this point).

Now--when I go to your home page, all the links have been changed to net, so you have succeeded there. There are still some errors, however. As LadyEye pointed out above, one has a comma instead of a dot. Also, your Contact Us link refers to a page named contactus.html, but the correct page name is contact_us.html. Things like these are a pain, but each link has to be 100% correct.

Comment

I am sorry for the rude response Tom. I hope you get better soon, I'll give this a closer look and hopefully be able to correct the mistakes. sleep tight and I will let you know how it works out tomorrow, Goodnight, Brad

Comment

:)

Comment

Working...
                        X