Dynamic Page Width; can I do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic Page Width; can I do it?

I just downloaded the program and looked through dozens of tutorials and I have run into a problem.

The pictures, used for background border images, and text come inside a pre-arranged, set-sized box. While I can adjust the box, I have to decide what size screen I want the site to be ideal for.

For example: I can have the site set at 1152 pixel width (using the guide settings under the 'Layout' tab), and all my text can be set the same; however, anyone viewing on a smaller screen (800x600) or a widescreen ratio (8:5 or 1440x900) will either have a bunch of unprofessional blank space at the right hand side, or will have to scroll left and right to view the page. There appears to be no way to tell the program to make the site so that it will adjust to the size of the screen being used to view the site (which, if I remember correctly, is done with some sort of stylesheet or java or both).

If this question makes any sense and someone has the answer, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank You
    WindD~~

Re: Dynamic Page Width; can I do it?

You're right, BlueVoda creates a fixed-width page only. The common wisdom around here is to assume that 95% of your viewers will see your page without side-scrolling if you make the page no wider than 980px. The background can be a plain color or you can put a long, narrow repeating image to make a gradient, etc. Your page contents should be centered so the background shows equally on both sides. Statistics show that the majority of websites--including those by major companies--are fixed width not dynamic.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

The size of your page in BV shouldn't be wider that 1000 px. Right click on any blank part of the page, click on page properties and check the box that says "center in browser." That will make your page appear in the center of everyone's screen, regardless of their size.

Comment

Originally posted by dovidshmuel View Post
        The size of your page in BV shouldn't be wider that 1000 make that 963-980 max px. Right click on any blank part of the page, click on page properties and check the box that says "center in browser." That will make your page appear in the center of everyone's screen, regardless of their resolution settings ... size.
        It is best to adhere to current standards rather than summarize personal knowledge when advising technical information in a public setting.

Although it may be "acceptable" to think the majority of Users today are using widescreens or have set their resolutions to 1124 or larger, the fact is more than 85% of all screens in use today are 15" and most Users prefer 1124 max settings to preserve legibility, let alone some perceived border to assist spatial reference ....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Sorry, Vasili. I was just trying to be helpful.

Comment

Actually.. pages are going to go smaller as the mobile phone, *** makes the market. More and more people are into SMART PHONES and do ALOT of their work, browsing, email on their "b*l*a*c*k*b*e*r*r*y*"

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Voda Templates has lots of free background which will cover your entire page. Try using them first until yo know how to make your own custom background.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
              State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
              X