Slicing Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicing Images

My index page is somewhat slow in loading because of heavy graphics that I want to keep. In ImageReady I slice my graphic into many slices that enabled me to actually delete a lot of blank info to increase speed. I save the slices as HTML and images (folder)
    I put this folder into a clean BV folder on a different hard drive:
    E/My Documents/Blue Voda (this is an example)
    I load the HTML into a BV page and preview.
    I can see all of the slices but no image(s) appear. (lots of red x's)
    How do I get the images to appear?
    If I click on the HTML page/icon in the folder I get a good preview in IE.
    Complicated, I know, but this will significantly increase the speed of the page opening.
    Thanks
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Re: Slicing Images

Originally posted by CarbonTerry
    My index page is somewhat slow in loading because of heavy graphics that I want to keep. In ImageReady I slice my graphic into many slices that enabled me to actually delete a lot of blank info to increase speed. I save the slices as HTML and images (folder)
    I put this folder into a clean BV folder on a different hard drive:
    E/My Documents/Blue Voda (this is an example)
    I load the HTML into a BV page and preview.
    I can see all of the slices but no image(s) appear. (lots of red x's)
    How do I get the images to appear?
    If I click on the HTML page/icon in the folder I get a good preview in IE.
    Complicated, I know, but this will significantly increase the speed of the page opening.
    Thanks
    This is because the html of the saved as html slices include also the path to the folder where the slice images are saved, so previewing the html of the slices you can see them. In the BV page, the html doesn't include the correct path. To correct this, you must enter the BV page, and for every single slice image, you must double click to edit it, and then give the correct path for the sliced images. However, unless you have lots of blank spaces, this will not save you much, and it will increase your work. I suppose that if you can slice your graphics, this means you don't need to have the images in it as separate (to link them, f.e.) So If your page isn't too high , consider having the whole graphics background as one image, and use pixresizer to take it down to a resolution that will be the best compromise between quality and loading speed. Please also note that if the background is made from many pictures that overlay each other, then using them all means that IE has to download all the image files, icluding
    that part of the images that in the final screen are covered by other images, and this increases a lot the time for download. You could instead create the background in a graphics program, and then save it as a single .jpg image, resize it in PIXresizer, and then insert it in BV. This way only the actually used part of every image will be passed in the final image, thus saving a lot of filesize.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I edit all images in PhotoShop CS and "Save for the Web" to the smallest file size possible and still retain decent resolution. When I "slice" the image I save both files (html & images) to the normal BV file. From there on I have a difficult time figuring it out.
      I thought that once I add the html to a BV page and the images are in the Image file that it would work. Apparently not.
      I appreciate your time as always. Thank you.
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

What I did do to reduce file size was to re-edit the index page by putting individual elements in instead of one big image. By doing this, I was able to eliminate dead space in my image and reduce file size that way. Also I was able to reduce some components more than others and reduce file size again. (I thought that's what i could do with "slices" also) I did reduce the loading time from 23sec to 16sec.
        This is a slower loading time than it was before BV but my customers don't have to make as many clicks to navigate and buy product and I can make changes daily if i need/want.
        Thanks BV & Navaldesign
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonTerry
          Thanks for the reply. I edit all images in PhotoShop CS and "Save for the Web" to the smallest file size possible and still retain decent resolution. When I "slice" the image I save both files (html & images) to the normal BV file. From there on I have a difficult time figuring it out.
          I thought that once I add the html to a BV page and the images are in the Image file that it would work. Apparently not.
          I appreciate your time as always. Thank you.
          Upload the URL of the page as you have already published it and it is slow. I'll take a look and let you know
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

http://redhawk-archery.com/
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

The only image that's large is the text image. All the other are ok , max 6 - 8 Kb. It's the text that cause you some problems. On DSL, it takes 6 secs, 4 of which for the text image. That's more than acceptable in my opinion.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks for the help. There are 3 text images, three graphic images, 12 rollover images and a text link.
                CarbonTerry
                Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                Zone 5 Photo
                My USMC

Comment

FYI, I have reduced images and improved load time significantly. (50%)
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

Good!
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                    X