• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • briansimons
    Sergeant

• May 2007

problem with downloads

I am having troubles with a downloadable file on my site. I have had the file on there for a few years but lately there are dowload problems for my site visitors. I followed all the instructions on the sticky thread about downloads. The file is called ebk.zip. It usually takes at least 2 attempts in Internet explorer and Firefox to get the download to work properly. It usually works fine after a few attempts in either browser, but I'm sure many site visitors get frustrated and leave before a 2nd or 3rd attempt. This has only seemed to be happening since I updated to the newer version of BV. I have tested it several times on my PC in both browsers and my customers are getting the same poor results. Not sure how to correct this problem???? Any thoughts????
    www.briansimons.com
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: problem with downloads

I assume the correct link to your download looks like this: www briansimons.com/ebk.zip

If this is a non-corrupted ZIP file, it is nothing to do with the link (if as above) but with the visitor's connection, or possibly the filters they have set in their browser/security: ZIP files being downloaded from a server or site that does not have a pre-installed SSL cert are generally viewed by most systems as a potential threat, as would a virus pak.

It could also be that Visitor systems are choking on compound issues: A. coming from a non-sercured site; B. the size of the ZIP file, which makes it even more laborious for Visitor systems to swallow, and adds to the condition of the connection along with the security issue of how solid the browser is filtering or allowing the download as a "force."
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• briansimons
      Sergeant

• May 2007

Re: problem with downloads

Thanks Vasili for your thoughts here. The file is actually a pdf file and I have had it as a download for approx 5 years with little problems. You may have something there with the secure site issue though, and I know its an issue being 20MB file. I'll keep trying things!! Thanks
      www.briansimons.com

Comment

Working...
      X