• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpekins
    Private

• Oct 2006

Formatting between computers and browsers

For some time now, I've experienced discrepancies between computers and browsers as to how my website looks, and I was wondering if there was any way around this. For example, some people have said they couldn't fit any of the pages onto one screen, it adds scrollbars and widens the pages on some browsers, and the positions of the text and media files on the audio pages often means that they are covering each other up. On my computer and in the Bluevoda programme, it always looks perfect, how do I make sure this is a general result for everyone, no matter what computer or browser?

Cheers,
    John Paul
  • mrmagoo144
    Brigadier General

• Feb 2007

Re: Formatting between computers and browsers

you cant control your visitors resolution set up. lets say you set your site at 800 pixels wide and i look at your website and my resolution is set to 1024 and my neighbors resolution is set to 1280. he is going to see your website differently than i am. now go the other direction. lets say you set up your width at 1024 and i set my resolution at 800 - i will need to scroll left to right to see your complete website. they say that 1024 is the most popular width resolution that people are using. i would hve agreed with that let's say a year ago, but today i think it is even wider 1152, 1280 and with the new computors you can go to 1300 +. So as i said at the beginning you cant determine what your visitors are doing. to be perfectly safe you make your width 800 and use a border background or background color to enhance the look. personally i set up my with at 900 to 950 as i don't care about the 800 guys anymore - not sure if they exist. remember this is my opinion and i'm sure everyone has there own. good luck
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

• Collectors-info
      General

• Feb 2006

You haven't used your page properties to set up the page alignment.
      You will now have quite a bit of jiggling around to set the pages up.
      This might help if you want all to see your pages centred. Width is purely a personal choice & many orgonisations stick with the old sizes to accommodate everyone. VH have there site at 709 wide?
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• jpekins
        Private

• Oct 2006

I've tried this, and you can see the result! On computers with wider screens it doubles the background up and looks a bit of a mess. Where have I gone wrong?
        Cheers

Comment

• DarrenC
          Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

You havent gone wrong...this is the way it is.

My monitor is quite wide and you can see your background image is tiled. I have used a background as you have but I tend to use one as big as my screen, then for most people viewing it, won't see that tiling effect. If the visitor has a smaller monitor they won't see the whole image and if they have a massive monitor they will still see the tiling.

I would also take your name and signature off the background and add these seperately otherwise they will disappear under something.
          Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• DarrenC
            Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

OK I have been having a play around

Please note that your background was too small (hence the tiling) so I stretched it to illustrate how you can get around things. (So it won't be the best quality)

Use this image as your background here blink and you'll miss it. Its the sliver on the left.

Insert this image on to the page. I have this right up to and not exceding up to the 800 edge and I've centred the page in properties.

Put the two together and here is THE RESULT
            Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• glendene
              Major

• Jul 2008

DarrenC
              you are a wealth of information. good to have you on board :)
              ... and I don't mean to be condisending...
              The Female Zone

Comment

Working...
              X