• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmarais
    Special Status

• May 2008

Build in login system

Hi, need some help in trouble shooting my login system,

It seems like it does not find the database file I created, I folloed all the steps as outline in the brief tutorial.

I made sure the file was actually created by using the filemanager and had permission set at 644.

I created the database file in an add-on domain folder, thus the location of the database file looks something like this:./public_html/ebook-exchange.com/willem5004let.php (in the form)

I must be missing something but it keeps on telling me the user database could not be found.

Any suggestions?
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: Build in login system

If the script doesn't find the database file, almost certainly you have created it in the wrong location, OR you have typed something wrong in the script objects Properties Dialog window In exampe, typing "/willem5004let.php" instead of "./willem5004let.php" (missing dot)
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• ZipZap
      Corporal

• Jun 2009

I have hit a brick wall in my attempts to get the Login system to work on my site. I followed NavalDesign's tutorial, and I also checked my script object's properties database location, but I must be missing something in the syntax.

I created the database through the Signup object properties "create database" function. I put the strange_name.php database file in a folder called /reg. So my path should be ./public_html/mydomain.org/reg/strange_name.php .
      But when I try to use the signup object through the web browser, I get "database not found." I can see the strange_name.php file in the reg folder in BlueFTP. I can see the page with the signup object also in the reg folder.

2 questions:
      1. what is the exact syntax to be typed into the properties dialog box for the signup object?
      I have tried ./public_html/mydomain.org/reg/strange_name.php .
      I have tried ./public_html/reg/strange_name.php .
      I have tried ./reg/strange_name.php .
      2. I tried the work around to create the notepad-generated file and put it in all of the places I can think of to try. in the public_html/, in the /reg, etc., but no matter what I try, I get database not found. Please help.

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

The database should be created in the same folder where the pages are.
        If you do this, the database file name that you type in the settings should be simply ./strange_name.php
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• ZipZap
          Corporal

• Jun 2009

It's really frustrating, because I did put them all in ./public_html/reg . I published the signup object page there AND created the strange_name.php file there, but it still comes back "database not found." I think I'm going to delete all these pages and start over. I hate to recreate them all into public_html without a subfolder, but I've tried using the subfolder and it's not working. Any other advice? I'll be back in 12 hours to start the deleting process. Thanks.

Comment

• ZipZap
            Corporal

• Jun 2009

One more comment for the experts. I also deleted the frontpage extensions in CP, but then reinstalled them. I'm sure you guessed I'm a novice at this, but I thought I'd mention that I did this in case that could somehow be affecting my ability to get my php scripts to work (and my database to be recognized)

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Your issues can ONLY be due to:
              1. Missing (for any reason) database file. You can verify this using FTP. Check if the database file is in the same folder as the pages
              2. Mistyping of any kind. You should be typing, as DB file, ./strange_name.php

Of course, you need to provide the SAME db file name also in all other objects that require it.
              Navaldesign

Comment

• venommagazine
                Sergeant

• Sep 2008

I have a question as well. I have built a website where some of the pages need to be viewed via-login. I know that you are supposed to publish your login files using the "strange name" file extension. However, what file extension would I use to publish the regular pages that do not require login?

Would I publish them the same as always /public_html/mydomain.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Pages that do not require login can be either html or php.
                  Pages that need to be protected, MUST be .php

As a good rule I make ALL pages php, even if they contain no php code, so I am able to add it in the future if required, without any changes in my menus and without losing SE Page Rank.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

• venommagazine
                    Sergeant

• Sep 2008

OK....I built the website and published all the pages http://www.pmemodels.com . However, there are strange items on the login pages. For instance, when you click on "client login" some of the fonts are missing and are replaced with what looks like a paper symbol. Also, I tested the sign up page and instead of giving me the permission to approve, it just sent me an email to my personal email stating that my new account had been created. I did not even get an email via-my webmaster letting me know that I had a new account request. With that being said, I then tried to login using the account info created and it took me to my login error page. I also created a adminlogin page too. However, where do I publish it?

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Sorry, but your post is not clear.

The Client Login page seems fine to me.
                      The signup page does exactly this: allows members to signup. Then you receive an email (both the Admin and the new member) that states the new account creation.

If you have set the script Behavior -> Admin Account Activation to True, the new account needs to be approved by you before it becomes active.

The admin page should be published in the same folder as the rest of the files / pages.

Did you read the tutorial ? Did you follow the instructions precisely ?
                      Navaldesign

Comment

• venommagazine
                        Sergeant

• Sep 2008

Sorry for not being clear with my explanation. I fixed the issue with the signup page.

I published the admin page with the rest of my files/pages. However, how do I access it once published? Also, do I need to add navigation to this page?

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

The admin page can be simply accessed using a direct link: http://www.yourdomain.com/admin.php (if we suppose that you have named the admin page "admin") or http://www.yourdomain.com/admin.html

Depends on whether you have published it as php or html

Navigation to that page is useless, you will usually want to simply close the window after you are done. The admin page is password protected, so you only you have access to it.

Nothings prevents you from adding a link to this page from other pages, but there is no use for this, so I simply suggest that you add the admin page URL to your browser favorites.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

• venommagazine
                            Sergeant

• Sep 2008

OK I see. I just published it and I do not see anything. In other words, I see outline/outer edges of the form but the inside is blank.

Comment

• venommagazine
                              Sergeant

• Sep 2008

By the way here is the link so you can see what I am talking about http://www.pmemodels.com/loginadmin.php

Comment

Working...
                              X