• Show
Clear All
  • rizo
    Private First Class

• May 2007

Issues with guestbook

Hi,

Re: www.libertyhairandbeauty.com/guestbook.html

I'm trying to make the guestbook function work for the above site but am having some real problems. Im using v11 of BV.

The problems I am having are:

1. No Admin option
    2. SPAM messages (I want to set a validate option)
    3. Very slow input into actual form

I have searched the forums but can't see where I'm going wrong. For example I do not understand where / how I can upload guestbookdb.php as instructed on one tutorial or how I can amend the properties for said php. Do I still need to do this? where can I find it? oh so many questions...

I have enabled admin and captcha in the BV11 extension but its all lost on me. Any help or assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated before my laptop joins the next shuttle launch....

Much obliged,
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: Issues with guestbook

In the GB settings, enable the "Show Admin Link" and "Email Authentication" properties.

Don't use the standard file names, change them to something more complicated.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• rizo
      Private First Class

• May 2007

Thanks. I've already enabled the admin link and entered a password but this does not appear to be working. What do you mean by change the file names, do you mean the page names or the field names in the guestbook? As you can tell, I'm new to this ;(

Thanks again

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

No, you don't seem to have enabled the "Show Admin Link" or it would appear in thepage.

The default file names are "guestbook.php" for the script, and "guestbookdb.php" for the file that contains the posts.

You should use some other, "strange" name like "gb_987-Ab56.php" and "gb_db_R89s.php" . THis would prevent your GB being hacked.

Unfortunately there is little you can do about manual spam, spammers simply actually submit spam through your GB.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• rizo
          Private First Class

• May 2007

does this mean I have to change the file names in file manager / CP? I really don't know what to do about the admin function, its definately enabled. Perhaps its a permissions issue.

Thanks again,

Rizo

Comment

• rizo
            Private First Class

• May 2007

Thanks for your help with this, I tried renaming in the CP but this caused some internal server issues, so decided to leave alone for now. I worked out you have to rename the file names in the BV page as well, but I got a 404 error and decided to back off.....

Try as I might, I cannot get the admin link in the extension to work. I enable it, save the page and publish it, refresh the site. Nothing. I then go back make sure the URL, BB's etc are enabled / disabled. Again nothing. I have worked out how access the GB with the admin not enabled so can delete the posts, but cannot access from within the page as their is no admin link displayed anywhere. Is this a known issue / bug?

Ideally I would also like to be able to validate posts where possible, but have no idea where this functionality is under the CP.

Thanks for your ongoing support with this.

Comment

• glendene
              Major

• Jul 2008

Do not use the Guest Book Option. You Will get spammed. As far as My knownledge takes me... most experienced users avoid a guest book option like the plague. If you don't really need one, then don't do it. You will be hit with stuff from ratbags from breakfast to dinner. Don't do it.
              That's my advice.
              The Female Zone

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

There is no bug. If you have checked it off, it WILL show. Since you changed the page, I can't check it.
                Navaldesign

Comment

• rizo
                  Private First Class

• May 2007

Hi guys, appreciate your help. Decided to ditch the guestbook, the business has facebook and twitter anyway so customers can leave comments there if they want to.
                  It didnt matter what I did, the admin function didnt work. It might be a local PC problem or something but it just wasnt having it. All academic now and a little disappointing after spending so much time trying to resolve the issue! Never mind, I look forward to the next challenge.

Thanks again, Rizo

Comment

Working...
                  X