• Show
Clear All
  • bsj
    Private First Class

• Nov 2005

browser question

Hello All

I really hope you can help me please!

I have uploaded my website to and it is online - you can see it at www.MissDeMuir.co.uk

I was pleased BUT however, when others have seen it online it looks a complete scramble!

Since I have built it with BlueVoda, it must surely be built with web-safe fonts? Yet, look at what has happened (my friend snagged a copy for me to send you (attached). Stop Press... I have a jpeg of it but how do I attach it to this posting please?

I really hope to get your advice soon, I am launching this site over the weekend!

Many thanks in advance,

Best

B
    ps. BTW, I am 'TheWhatsUpInGroup' on Vodahost, if this helps?
  • bsj
    Private First Class

• Nov 2005

Re: HELP! My website looks AWFUL in other people's browsers :(

Hello
    Have had to put a new page up with images so people don't see it looking dreadful, but have attached the .jpeg of what it looks like here:
    Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

TQ in advance
    Best
    B
    x

Comment

• ahimsa
      Major General

• Jan 2009

Hi B,
      well, all I can say that's "not quite right" is.........
      you have a little side-scroll - but then I've been told I have a small screen LOL
      .......and........the very top mm of the letters of De Muir Photography are missing - ie. the text needs to be pulled down a tad -
      .......when others have seen it online it looks a complete scramble!
      Not for me with FF, apart from the aforementioned ?
      david
      Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

• bysandra
        Major

• Jun 2008

I am seeing much the same as David. Everything looks OK in IE, except for the two things David mentioned. I also have a little sideways scroll and the very top of your letters are missing. Maybe your friend is viewing in Mac. I once had to move an image and test a little bit at a time and re-publish each time so that I did not have the spaces too large in IE or FF but have enough space so that it was not on top of each other in the Mac. It helped that I had a friend with a Mac but I was ringing her every 5 minutes asking her to refresh the page and check it now.
        Sandra

Comment

• bsj
          Private First Class

• Nov 2005

Hello

Thank you both so much for getting back to me :)
          May I please just check that you are using the link I put in my second post, too?

You see, the website which is currently up at www.MissDeMuir.co.uk is actually not the scrambled version - I had to put this up, fast, as a temporary measure and it is made up of .jpeg images pasted on the BlueVoda index page - rather than a BlueVoda 'made' html page. Of course, I do not want to do this generally because it defeats the purpose of a .html site, as I undferstand it, which are indexed better by Google if they have a great deal of relevant text rather than images.

The page which is 'scrambled' (the original one I put up and the BlueVoda one which contained text boxes etc.) is here:
          Scrambled Web Page
          As you can see, to my friend, it is very mixed up.

Is there a way to avoid this? A web optimisation tool in BlueVoda? Or a page size which is optimal for all browsers when designing?

ps. I use Firefox, so designed it in that
          Thanks as always

Best

B
          x

Comment

• bysandra
            Major

• Jun 2008

Re: browser question

Hello B,
            You do not say if your friend viewed in FF, IE or Mac, but my guess is is that it was in a different OP system than you built it in. I have both IE and FF on my computer so that I can check out every page that I build in both. I keep my fingers crossed for Mac most of the time because I do not want to bother friends. Yes I did look at the scrambled page jpeg
            OK the first step is you need all of the page that is not an image to be written in a web friendly fonts. Just google and you will get a list. Graphic designers have this problem all of the time. The fonts you have chosen are not all web friendly. If someone does not have the font you choose on, their computer, that computer will choose the font for you and at the same time can mess up your page, as the font that appears will be in the size you chose but could be double the size. If you really wish to use different fonts and want them to appear the same for everyone you will have to make them into a jpeg.
            With the overlapping text areas you will need adjust as I said previously. Sometimes it works quickly and sometimes you have to adjust many times to get it right on both IE & FF
            You also mentioned page size. I stick to a page width between 800 and 900 but the suggested best width is 800.
            Hope this helps
            Sandra

Comment

• bsj
              Private First Class

• Nov 2005

Thank you Sandra, that is all so helpful and very kind of you to come back to me so quickly. I have taken your advice and shifted to 800 width (I was on 1024) and also I have unticked the 'centre in browser' option - both seem to have helped even with the version I have up there right now.
              I am off to find some web friendly fonts this evening.
              Best
              B
              x

ps. wierdly, I had already checked with my friend and she, too uses Firefox, so other settings must be different in her monitor set-up I should imagine x

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Nothing wrong with your page.

Optmize your own browser first and add all the necessary plugins.

Then view your page again.
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
                X