Clear All
  • jferia71
    Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

Publishing & IF

Hello

Updating site,
    question 1;

Have an IF and want my home page to come up in this when people enter my site- I'm sure i've set this up correctly but upon entering site it just gives an error number in the ( 404 ) cant seem to find what i have done wrong.
    Question 2:
    Also upon publishing pages, these are still coming up as the old version and not the new version i have published, why is this happening?

Thanking you for your help!
  • Marincky
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Publishing & IF

Publish the page called 'home'
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• jferia71
      Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

all the pages have been published several times but nothing happens!
      The error code still comes up for the home page and the rest are still sat at the old version!

Comment

• Marincky
        General

• Apr 2006

You need to link your iframe properly.

use http://www.paradiseprincess.co.uk/home.html
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• Marincky
          General

• Apr 2006

Why are you putting your text in an I-frame anyway? This will ensure your site does not do very well on the search engines.

You are going to find it hard enough as it is trying to sell bridal gowns online (especially in the UK) I have a very vast experience and knowledge of this market to back up what I say by the way. Happy to chat to you if you want to know more. But if you intend to try this business you will need to make your site as search engine friendly as possible. The way you are currently making it is far from that I'm afraid.

Comment

• jferia71
            Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

hi

my iframe is linked as www.paradiseprincess.co.uk/home.html this is why I cant work it out!
            I'm putting the text in an iframe as i want all the pages to load up the same so I don't have to keep repeating the same pictures etc...on each and every page I do, so therefore-my index page stays the same and when the customer clicks onto dresses etc...it will just come up on the same page? Any other suggestions other than this?
            I'm not only selling over the internet, i'm advertised locally too...any suggestions greatly recieved!

Comment

• Marincky
              General

• Apr 2006

There is a much simpler and far more search engine friendly way to do this.

You create your index page (home page) You make sure you are happy with the look, the design and layout and your text content. Once this page is complete you save it as 'index'

Then you save it again, but this time save it as the next page e.g. 'Dresses'

So you now have two duplicate pages but named differently.

Then you leave everything on the 'dresses' page like the border, header, fotter, navigation etc etc... and just replace the actual text content for the new page.

Once this is done, you clone again... etc etc etc...Until you have a complete site.

THEN... once published, your visitor will not see any difference from page to page and have a smooth transition, only seeing different content on each of your pages.

I appreciate you are not selling just online, sorry I wasn't very clear there, I don't know how long you have been doing this so forgive me, but I do know that selling wedding gowns from anywhere but a bridal shop in the UK is not an easy task. I have first hand experience of this by the way, as well as having many wedding dress suppliers on my books, from mobile, to home studios to bridal shops to big wedding dress manufacturers and wholesalers. I market all these clients and so I know what works and what doesn't work so well.

I do have many suggestions for you to help increase sales ande I am happy to chat with you on the phone if you like (I am not selling you anything by the way, I would just like to see you start off on the right foot) I don't charge for a chat over the phone so feel free.. You'll find my details somwehere in one of my links below.

One suggestion I would make is your site at present appears to the visitor to be a 'purchase online' site rather than a business where they can infact visit and try on your gowns. I would look very closely at trying to emphasise the fact that you have a studio.. be it on the high street or from your home doesn't matter so much, but push this a bit more.

In America 65% of bridal gown sales are made online. In the UK however this is about 12%. We haven't managed to fall into this online shopping as much as our American friends yet, especially on a product so special to the buyer as a wedding gown.

With the huge influx of cheap chinese 'copied' wedding gowns this has over flooded the market here in the UK with ebayer sellers, people selling dresses online and the home based studios that are popping up by the dozen a day, so you are in an even more competitive market now than you would have been only just 8 years ago.

Anyway,.. I could talk all night about this subject, but I won't.. if you need any advice or simply are intrigued by what I know feel free to call me. I work from home so take calls in the evening.. weekends.. whenever.

Best of luck with it though : - )

Comment

• Marincky
                General

• Apr 2006

Sorry I missed your call, just had to pop out for 10 mins. Back now all day if you want to try again.

Comment

Working...
                X