X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a sitemap

Hi all

I need to make a sitemap for my website , is there a program i need to use to make it easier. thank you in advance.

debby
    Debby

Re: making a sitemap

Visit this resource to auto-generate a compliant sitemap that you can upload to your public_html/ directory > http://www.xml-sitemaps.com

* You should also provide a small text link on your index page (usually in the footer, next to your Privacy Policy link which can be seen just as "XML"and link that to your file with a link that should look like this: http://www/YourSite.com/sitemap.xml ) to the sitemap.xml file as well (establishes definitive association of index page to sitemap installed), but place a transparent shape over the link so Visitors cannot use it!

You do not want people to open your sitemap.xml file, as it is not a "map" but lines of code that specifically instruct the Search Engines on what to follow, what not to follow, and where to find specific pages in an "Ordered Set" of references they can cache and later return to their Search Clients as ranked lists of results according to their querry!
    If you want a usable "map" of your site for Visitor use, create an HTML sitemap file at the same auto-generator site suggested above.

To assist the Search Engines to avoid spidering any pages, you should also create a robots.txt file, and when complimenting a sitemap.xml file, your sitemap.xml file should note specifics as mentioned here in this detailed thread > http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...-new-post.html
    Basically, before you upload your sitemap.xml file, delete the coding that maps the pages you do not want spidered ... thus, it "mirrors" your 'disallow' instructions in your robots.txt file via simple omission.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

So, what I've done is:
      1. got the xml page thru site map generator
      2. opened up a blank page in blue voda
      3. Pasted all the info from the site map to the blank page
      4. saved it as xml.html
      5. put text link, "xml" on index page only with a transparent object over it.
      6. the link reads, www.mywebsite.com/xml.html
      7. the page, xml was published

is all this in order. There are no pages that I don't want the crawler to see....

Comment

Did you generate the sitemap using the (Tools) BV Sitemap generator??
        If yes, delete the xml page that you published from the server.
        Generate a new sitemap.
        There is the choice to "Publish Sitemap" on the generator window.
        Click "Publish Sitemap"
        Make a link on your index page that reads XML the link will go to: www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml
        Insert a transparent shape over the link to prevent being clicked.
        Publish your index page
        Viola....Bob's your uncle!!
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

great, done deal. is this what's is supposed to look like

Comment

Yes. Delete the link referring to sitemap.html (it should always be sitemap.xml)

Vasili's instructions are very clear and precise and easy to follow, whether you use the Blue Voda generator or do it manually online from the source he mentioned. If you use the source he provided, you can also use the tools to make other files your site needs also (BV only generates the sitemap.xml).
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi
            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

Working...
            X