• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeniferlk23
    Private First Class

• Jul 2010

pages won't validate?

I'm having a cubecart skin designed for me and I got this feedback from the person doing the skin:

Some of the code is really strange, there are three instances where the <html> <head> and <body> are opened and closed, that needs to be fixed or you will have problems with some browsers and the pages won't validate. There should be only one opening and close for html, one opening and close for head, and one opening and close for body, same with what is enclosed within each head area, it all needs to be together in the one head.

The site was built using bluevoda - how do I fix this and how do I avoid it in the future?

the site is www.theteatable.com.au

Cheers
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: pages won't validate?

Blue Voda uses both Unicode and HTML with CSS applied in order to render a more universally viewable and functional site within the overall provisions of W3C outlines .... for one unfamiliar with how this functionality needs be written to function across the many different browsers and systems, trying to state that the unclosed tags will or will not do something they think is the norm is like asking a welder to perform the task of lighting candles with the same attention to detail that he applies every day: it simply is a moot point.

Because of the reliance on the old Netscape coding (used by Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, for example) which is notoriously funky and unstable and the need to provide functionality of the minimum of IE6+ without building in redundancy, these 'orphaned tags' need to be in place to in effect perform as a wildcard.

It is also why some BV Users have difficulty publishing and Previewing using Vista singularly, or have pngfix.com issues still even in Windows7 .... although it does not "validate" perfectly with W3C tools, it matters not, as this degree of "sloppy code" is not registering negatively nor interferring in the performance in any way in the truest sense, nor does it affect functionality.

Your 'expert' should focus on real priorities and not wrap the brain too tightly around such minutia or misconception. IMO, of course!

Besides .... trying to adapt a coded template (designed for CUBE) to use in Blue Voda is simply a waste of time: better to convert it to an image and import it as an object, for as a script it will never interface with how BV was written anyway (but you should know that yourself, right?). Does not say much for this web person, trying to put a square into a round hole ....
    Personally, if this is a purchased template for CUBE, it comes with the PSD files (in case you wanted to use Dreamweaver, for example, to build your site with or to edit the template files itself), and I would use the template for my cart, and then use the PSD files to use for my BV "template" ... inserting them as images/objects (as a background) and keep all my BV-created elements on top of that background so the continuity remains and is more than just "similar" .... it would be the same!

Simply link to your cart (installed in a separate directory) as it will not "merge" with anything Blue Voda. Or, possibly present it via an iFrame, but it will not be possible to "blend" it with BV.

But .... back to the root issue this developer should be concerned with: if this person is taking your .bvp Index page, for example, and trying to 'clone off' the CSS and HTML code in order to duplicate the design into the PHP Cube template coding, then why in hell is there any concern about Head tags and opened tags? Any coder up to snuff should know the scheme to re-code HTML into PHP, otherwise it is a waste of time trying to strip off the BV code to stuff a bare .bvp file underneath things ....

Going to leave you with a comment I left earlier in a post recently as food for thought:
    Originally posted by Vasili View Post
    As far as complying with W3C standards ... it seems more than a few VodaTalk Members read my couple of references and gave more import to the concept than they should have, since they still struggle with the completion of the many more concepts and details regarding the refinment of web design.....
    Don't get me wrong: it is important, but it is so much more important to fully comprehend the nuances, inter-relationships, and complexities of solid web construct, basic to advanced SEO, and true relevancy as a symbiotic aspect of Content development and site evolution both.
    Dealing with W3C validity is a "High Concept" that is fit for those capable of cleaning up code and dealing with core structure ..... it is all about page code being codified and universally performing and presenting (the soft way to end manipulative practices).
    Unless you are an Advanced Webmaster (or love coding by hand), you are much better off using the tools found HERE to "proof," refine, and 'validate' your BV pages rather than improperly using any W3C Validation Tool!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• jeniferlk23
      Private First Class

• Jul 2010

ok - I think you're saying it's fine. Which is what I thought because the site views fine for me on all (recently updated) browsers.

I am leaving the 'site' in bluevoda and the store will sit in cubecart so they won't talk to one another at all (besides the links), I just wanted them to look similar.

Thanks for your reply -
      Jen

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Yeppers! They really are "fine" in the SE's eyes and in the grand scheme of things.

I hope I didn't come across like a freight train .... it just seems a handful of people took hold of a few references I made and went wayyyy overboard with them without understanding both the context of the concept nor the processes involved with applying them properly.

Looking forward to your end result. Like I said earlier --- totally awesome job!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X