Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same page title on every page

Hi guys, hope you are all well.

I have a problem and an enquiry. Firstly the problem. On my pages I have a title as is the usual. Home, contact, etc. I mean written on each page. On my site softskillsireland.ie I have this title on the top left hand side.
    Oddly, when I google the site and use the menubar to navigate, most pages have the same title, namely About Softskills. They are not all published with the same name obviously. Any idea what's going on here and how I can sort it?

The second thing is - and maybe it's related to the first issue - when I am hyperlinking pages I am given a choice of targets: _self _blank _parent etc. I currently use _self for the home page and _blank for the others. Is this correct or recommended, or what exactly does each target mean? What do you guys generally do?

Thanks for all the input, and thanks to you Vassilli for helping me sort my last problem.

Regards
    eoinmc

Re: Same page title on every page

You've missed an extremely important part of making the world aware of your website: the meta data. If you right click on the background in BV of any page, you are given the opportunity to add titles, key words and page descriptions. Since you have not titled your pages, google doesn't have much to post.

As far as the links, I think most often it's best to leave that field empty. That way the page the viewer is looking for will open properly on all browsers.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

One of the MOST IMPORTANT items on a web page is the PAGE TITLE.
      Page titles must be different for every page.
      Page titles should include keywords for that particular page.
      The keyword/s should be at the beginning of the title.
      Home...Contact.....About Us.. as page titles are completely useless if not worse.
      If you are making "red widgets" then your page title should be something like:
      "Red Widgets made by the Widget Company".
      If the same page was titled "Home" how could Google direct someone to your page that is looking for red widgets ??????
      Of course you need to use "red widgets" in the text of your page.
      See the logic ????
      I've been reading article after article over the years about SEO. Google will tell you that the Page Title is one of the most important and overlooked items on a web page.
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi
      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

Hi Guys and thanks for getting back to me,

Thanks for the good info and I will be looking into it.
        What you say is useful and relevant yet it doesn't solve my problem. I think I may have described the problem badly. When I said page title I should have said the name of the page. In other words - lets say for instance - I have a page with contact info. On the upper left hand side I have written in text -Contact Us, so that when someone goes to that page they know exactly what page they are on. At the moment when you land on the Contact Us page, it says About Soft Skills where it should say Contact Us. If you then go to the News page it says All About Soft Skills again, and for all the other pages barring the Home page.
        I'm going to sort out the properties & keywords thing in the meantime, and try leaving the target page space empty. Maybe that will do it?

Thanks again
        eoinmc

Comment

Hi all,
          thanks for your input, but I still have the same problem. Every page bar the home page says 'About Soft Skills'.
          I can't even figure how that's possible.
          Anybody got any ideas??
          Regards
          Eoin Mc

Comment

Generally, this happens when using the Copy/Paste function.
            Create from scratch each header (page name??)
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi
            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

yipee,
              Muchos gracias Major General Terry. I re done all my Headers as suggested and it worked. Plus I now know that its called a HEADER and not the page title.
              I'll get there yet. Persistence will eventually overcome intelligence I guess.
              Ta
              Eoinmc

Comment

Working...
              X