• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharonpressinc
    Sergeant

• Mar 2008

Windows 7

New computer and I'm now on Windows 7. When I open the files from my XP, the graphics aren't there and everything moved. I got a support ticket and was told to download the latest BV version ... did that with the same results. Did it again, just in case. Moved all my BV files into that folder, same results. Went back to my old computer, put them on a jump drive and took them to the new computer ... same results.

I have 7 accounts for people where I design and manage their sites. One of them has 21 pages and I really don't want to have to put the pages together again.

Is there something I'm missing. I've seen this same question on the forum and haven't seen an answer that helped.

Thanks for your help ... I just know you'll have an answer!!
  • ahimsa
    Major General

• Jan 2009

Re: Windows 7

....another issue that has been raised.....and answered...so many times!!

When changing operating systems &/or computers the "paths" from where data & especially images were stored also changes! Big difference, for example, between Vista & W7. This is why everyone who knows recommends saving images in the "Images" folder of BV!
    Here comes the bad stuff: no shortcut! The paths from where your images are now stored will have to be re-introduced to BV so it knows where to look.........
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

• sharonpressinc
      Sergeant

• Mar 2008

Sorry to make you repeat yourself .... but, I obviously didn't understand what I read in the other posts never having used an Image folder. If I may, I'd like to ask another question - same subject.

Since I need to recreate all those files and I have a number of sites I work on, where do I put the images for each site. Do I make an Image folder for each folder that houses the pages for each site, or should they go in one Image folder that would be universal to BV (and that one sounds really hairy!)? I watched all the video tutorials when I first started, I must have missed the Image folder lesson.

Thanks!

Comment

• ahimsa
        Major General

• Jan 2009

I have an image folder within each individual site's folder....but there's no reason why you couldn't have folders named "site1-images" site2-images" etc. For sure NOT all eggs in 1 basket lol
        Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

• sharonpressinc
          Sergeant

• Mar 2008

Thanks for the reply. Just checking to be sure this doesn't happen again ...

I had/have all the graphics that were used in each site's folder in BV, but not in a sub-folder marked Image for each site.

So, what you're telling me is that if, in the remake of these sites, I put the graphics in a folder for each site marked Image, I shouldn't have to go through this again when the next version of Windows comes out?

Looking forward to your reply. I just find the concept of the graphics being in an Image folder instead of the site's folder, that it will work next time.

I went back to the old computer and put one of the site's graphics in a newly created Image folder (just for that site) and it didn't work when I took it to the new comptuer. If I need to learn about "paths" please point me in a direction.

Thanks!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Some well-intentioned earlier replies, but a bit off the mark ....

Blue Voda automatically saves images to a folder within Blue Voda called "images" and can recall this path without any help by the creation of another, redundant folder called "images."

Quite simply, in your My Documents section of your computer, separate and apart from your Blue Voda files and folders, create a folder and name it according to the name of your Domain. Windows7 does not have a My Documents area, so you will have to create a file folder of your own to organize things, so create one called simply by the name of your domain.
            Within this new folder, create another folder and call it "images" ---- this is where you can store for easy access all the images (both raw and original, along with formatted and final versions) you use to import onto your Blue Voda pages.

In this way, should you ever need to move your Blue Voda files and resources to another computer or restore them from a back-up, the pathways will always remain the same: all the images and files will come from the same-named folders and external resources (not from within Blue Voda program/tool itself). You simply move one folder (named after your Domain) with all the other folders neatly stored within it, pathways and associations preserved.

That is all you need do.

Keep things simple .... keep things clean .... it allows you greater freedom and versatility in the future. And, it pays to fully describe the logic in hard-core terms fully, so no one assumes that the cavilier use of terms is universal.
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• sharonpressinc
              Sergeant

• Mar 2008

Thanks for the clear reply!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006