• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sorcel
    Corporal

• Apr 2007

Setting up a multiple language site

Hi,

I have used BV for some time now - but am for the first time going to set up a multi language site. Ideally I would like the user to be able to navigate to another language from each page. Let us say that a user is on the English contact page and wants to go the the French contact page, she would click on a flag on the English page and be transferred straight to the french version of the page. I have seen that non-BV sites do this with urls such as ../company/en/contact.php and ../company/fr/contact.php If the user was on the English product page she would, by clicking the flag, go straight to the French product page.

I am not looking for any automatic translation - and realize that I will have to produce a set of pages for each language. I know that navigation buttons need to be set up for each language. Etc..

Do you have any advice on smart things to do - for example naming conventions, set up of folders etc.

Thanks in Advance !
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Setting up a multiple language site

You seem to have an understanding already of how to organize yourself .... just be sure to use English only when you create your folders in cPanel, create hyperlinks, and other Properties of functions .... as the official language of the WWW and computer functions, English cannot be substituted.

It may get confusing as you reset the Unicode and alpha configurations when creating Content for each page while trying to maintain English as mentioned above, so you may wish to create and publish all the pages you will need using "placeholder" pages with the templated page (including navigation) simply empty of any page Content that will be created using other languages. This not only prevents your site being visited and found with 'dead links' but also finalizes the structure with the functionality you need to preserve.
    You can then re-publish each page in a certain language methodically by adding the page's Content without disturbing the proper construct.

* Make it easier by composing page Content separately in Word or another program you can save pages in an organized manner, and then simply paste into your Blue Voda pages progressively.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• sorcel
      Corporal

• Apr 2007

Thanks .... I'll give it a go.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006