• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjh
    Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2007

text size shrinks in published pages

I am rebuilding my website and am having an issue with text size shrinking when I view the pages in preview or published.

The one page I've published is http://www.rachelharveyart.com/bio.html

In Blue Voda, the header "line" stretches across the entire page, and all the text is larger. It isn't really an issue except for where the text goes around the photo. In BV I used two text boxes and it looks perfect, but when published there is a big gap of white space. There are similar issues with the remaining unpublished new pages.

I've re-downloaded BV twice, I've locked the items on the page, I've changed the font from Calibri to Trebuchet (a safe font), I've searched the forums and can't find an answer to this.

Not sure if it's important, but the original pages were created on a different computer, backed up and uploaded to my new pc. I then used one of them to make a template for the new pages.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rachel
    Rachel

www.midcolumbianotary.com
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: text size shrinks in published pages

Trebuchet is not a universally web-safe font. It is simply both PC and MaC enabled, but it is not a pre-loaded font on either across the board.
    Tahoma (web-safe) has more of the rounded features of both Calibri and Trebuchet than does Times Roman (web-safe), so consider using Tahoma instead.

Transferring files away from the original system and source paths will always require re-configuration to some degree, so you will need to simply go through the hoops to lay things out satisfactorily as from scratch (apparently for all the pages mentioned).
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• rjh
      Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2007

thank you. I am going to use tahoma and re-publish.

As to layout: All of the images and text, except the menu bar, are completely new and configured on my current pc. could just the use of a previous page throw things off?

I'm not terribly tech-savvy, but I thought BV was wysiwyg, and I've looked at the source code and can't immediately see anything odd-- not that I'd immediately recognize if there were! :)

Maybe I'll try creating a completely new page, not using the template I created, and see if that solves it.

Any other thoughts, throw 'em at me. thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Rachel
      Rachel

Comment

• rjh
        Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2007

I just completed the test page:

and got the same results.

In BV, all the text is larger, including the header "line" that goes across the entire page (set to 800w). The first text box comes to the bottom edge of the photo, so that the second text box makes it appear that the text is wrapping. When I publish, the text shrinks and a white space appears.

I'm stumped.

Rachel
        Rachel

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

In 5+ years and more than 12,000 posts helping others, this is the first time something like this has been brought up.

I daresay it is on your end, either in how you are laying out the page in BV or in how your system is displaying ... the monitor settings (view size) or something like that .... if not one or a part of anything I mention below. It is just too hard to know without looking over your shoulder to see what is on your computer ...

A few tips on working with text in BV:
          1. Always make sure your textbox is properly size width-wise to nearly the exact limits, as the fonts will reform to the parameters BV establishes as "style" applied in the workpane. If you are copying and pasting from another application, the formatting applied in the previous program will be lost once the text is either saved in the BV page formatting process, or during the publishing process (which applies the BV formatting methodology). If you need to copy+paste from another app, try 'stripping the formatting off' your text by pasting into Notebook and re-copying+paste from there.
          2. Always add an extra "space" at the end of your last sentence in a textbox, as this will prevent the text from reforming as line-and-a-half spacing due to a lost delimiter of formatting. Take my word for it ... to keep your lines all perfectly the same line spacing format, always put in that extra "space"!
          3. If you are having trouble with text boxes not aligning properly, it may be due to the "Order" on the page which they are being required to display. If, for example, you have 3 text boxes that are overlapping as if to mimic "wrapping" around a picture or other objects, make sure the text boxes themselves are 'layerd' in the progressive order they are displayed visually: the top box in a row of three should be first on the page; the second box underneath will be next, overlapping the first topmost box; the thrid textbox then overlaps the second and is placed nearest the bottom of the row ... this follows the proper logical ordering that is inherent with all computer parameters, and when it comes to HTML page layouts, this is the "order" the page is rendered and displayed: if not done properly, the display will not be as originally designed (which is not to say as originally "written", for the page HTML is written as directed but may not have the established scripted relationships required).
          4. When duplicating elements from page to page (cloning, for example) keep in mind that the order in which the pages are created is important if the styles are to be preserved: especially when using the copy+paste or re-naming of pages as new, and when moving page files from one system to another, all styles are orphaned if the first (source) file is not present or has been changed. If you change the Index page style (or the page is not present with the original syles intact), any pages that were created from the Index page will not have styles and formatting to refer to and conform to --- they will need to be reset entirely. This can be frustrating to no end when dealing with a lot of pages in BV until you understand the principle and remember to make changes and updates "globally" starting from the original page source.

Just a few tips from my Voda Tips that may or may not apply here for you, but should be posted once in a while for others to see and absorb as they develop their Blue Voda expertise.

Comment

• rjh
            Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2007

the entire test-page was created from scratch, no copy-and-pasting. Just to be sure, I went through the list of things you posted, and did them all-- extra spaces, making sure first text box was moved to the back, second to the front, locked everything, re-published, no change.

Do you have any suggestions what to look for on my end? I have an HP Pavilion dv7-4157cl Entertainment Notebook. I know this isn't a computer forum, but as it stands what I see in BV is not what I get when i publish. there are no missing elements, or quirky links, just everything shrinking so that things don't line up like I set them.

I'm going to go ahead and publish all the pages I've done so far-- images seem to stay lined up properly, although slightly smaller. strange.

Rachel Harvey oil paintings of landscapes, water scenes, upscapes, tree scenes, and abstracts.

thank you for your assistance. I truly appreciate your time.

Rachel
            Rachel

Comment

• rjh
              Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2007

I have a feeling this is going to confuse the issue, but...

I just did some actual (linear ruler) measurements of what's on the screen in BV and FF, and some of the elements-- text boxes, images-- are getting BIGGER when published. For instance, the text box is wider when published, so the text isn't as long vertically, which creates the white space before the next text box.

The "line" at the top of each page, in the header section, is still shrinking in length-- actual, not just appearance.

sigh...

Rachel

Rachel Harvey oil paintings of landscapes, water scenes, upscapes, tree scenes, and abstracts.
              Rachel

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

It is pointless to measure the screen resolution to the precise sizes rendered in the BV workpane (which has rulers and guides).
                Have you tried downloading another, newer version of Blue Voda (just to make sure there are no bugs due to connection)?
                And .... just to emphasize .... you are publishing according to proper method, and only to a VodaHost server, correct?

If this is not a Windows7 issue, a display settings issue, or a browser issue, and if you are using a complete copy of Blue Voda and publishing properly to a VodaHost server, I personally have no idea what else it could be, and have no further imput on the matter.

Comment

• rjh
                  Sergeant First Class

• Jul 2007

Yes, I downloaded BV again after my last post, about an hour ago, and still no difference, either in how I see my page in BV or on-line.

I am publishing to Vodahost, using the IP address provided by them.

I followed your dns flush/registry file scan instructions a couple of weeks ago... do you think it might help to do it again?

thank you for all your time and effort, Vasili. If I ever figure out what the issue is, I'll post. In the meantime, I think I will just make it look "wrong" in BV until I get it looking "right" on-line. It doesn't seem like a good solution, but I don't know what else to do.

Rachel

Rachel

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Yes ... that is rarely the only work-around, and I have no understanding of why: I also have 3 or 4 pages in different websites where I have to lay things out totally absurd in order for them to publish properly ... thank God for PREVIEW!

Comment

• navaldesign
                      General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Most probably your browser is set to display small fonts.

If using IE, please go inView, Text Size, -> Medium.

If using FF, Tools -> Opions - Fonts -> Advanced - >check the checkbx Allow Pages to chose their own font..."

On my computer your Pages look the same (fine) on both browsers.
                      Navaldesign
                      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                      X