X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected results of page alignment

Hi,

I am working on a web page for a friend and have encountered a problem. The page is not aligning properly.

I have specified a page size of 985 wide and 750 high.
    I have specified vertical and horizontal alignment.

I have looked at the result in 3 different browsers IE 8.0.7600, Firefox 3.6.13, Chrome 10.0.648.204. The result is the same. The page is aligned horizontally but not vertically. Here the top is cut off.

Here is the result as it looks now: http://www.hangarart.org/merete/merete_index.html

I have tried specifying only horizontal alignment - but then the page is cut off at the bottom.

I have downloaded the latest BlueVoda today and have version 11 installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

C.

Re: Unexpected results of page alignment

Looks perfect on my screen. Firefox 3.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Cutting off top for me FF3.
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi
      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

When you made the page, did you create it flush left and flush with the top? You might try that.

Comment

This is what i am getting with FF3

No sure if there is a problem with BV or fire fox as with some other sites i am also loosing parts of site to the left of the screen as well.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I get it differently on different monitors. My laptop sees it flush at the top, the wider monitor sees it properly centered, on FF3. I can more or less rep licate the problem with a test page by not building the page in the top left corner. I notice the html for horizontal/vertical centering is completely different than horizontal only, so it may be a browser issue as well.

Comment

Yeah, it works fine on both my monitors in FF3 and Chrome, but fails on one monitor in IE8. I'd junk it for now and simply lower the background shape down a bit.

Comment

Don't waste too much time on this one .... he even states he is confusing the "Centering In Browser" with different combinations of Horizontal, Vertical, Both, etc., and each browser will render a different display due to these abnormal settings. No doubt you each have different versions of browsers as well, lending to the confusion between you.

It needs be he simply select for the page CENTER IN BROWSER (horizontally) only, which is standard resolution in all browsers, and design pages to wit. The same setting would be advised for the BACKGROUND, which is coded differently and should not be confused with the page centering.

More importantly are the two issues that although obvious needs be addressed as well:
                1. The creation of a sub-domain is improper;
                2. Designing a friend's pages in his own personal hosting account is one thing, but publishing them "officially" would violate Terms of Service, as it would constitute "hosting by proxy."

His friend needs to purchase his own account (and a Sale is coming soon), or he needs to purchase a Reselling account and establish him there.
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

The site is for my art association - and in addition to association information we also have pages telling a little about our members. The page I have made is an example of this - it is not for buying or selling art - just to give an example of what members are capable of. Is this in violation of the terms of contract ?

The reason it has been made in a subdomain is because I am testing. That way it is easy to clean up afterwards. I have tried the other way and it has taken me a lot of time to clean up when it is my public_html file. Is there a better way to have a test area than in a subdomain ?

And then back to my problem. What I am trying to achieve is a box with padding all around. I have started with a white square which in Blue Voda is placed in the upper left hand corner.

I have added a background

I have centered the page

I get exactly the same result as Chris has shown above on my Dell laptop. Thanks to the comments from Tom Finley I tried it out on a Monitor with a high resolution and there it works well.

I would like this to work whatever kind of monitor I am using. I have now given up centering vertically as I can't get this to work.

C.

And by the way - I am not a HE but a SHE.

Comment

Page is looking perfect now. You might still have the old page in your cache, try hitting F5 a dozen times to see if it clears.
                    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                      It needs be he simply select for the page CENTER IN BROWSER (horizontally) only, which is standard resolution in all browsers, and design pages to wit. The same setting would be advised for the BACKGROUND, which is coded differently and should not be confused with the page centering
                      I have centered horizontally only - so it works now - thanks Vasili, you nailed it! It is just so strange that the vertical centering doesn't work. I guess I need to learn CSS.

C.

Comment

Working...
                      X